Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Abit IS7 or AI7 - what gives?

Abit IS7 or AI7 - what gives?

Geoff Kloaka

Having basically decided on the Abit IS7 for two mates who are each after a
cost-effective, capable PC, I've recently stumbled across the newer AI7
which for all intents and purposes seems virtually identical.

As an IC7 owner myself, the IS7 seems excellent value as by all accounts it
runs just as fast and stable as its big brother including full PAT
implementation. The fact that it is cheaper and also includes a built-in
10/100 NIC was the clincher. Of course, both contain the hideous Abit
Northbridge fan, but this is easily replaced by a passive Zalman for under
$10.

In the AI7's favour, is the fact that it comes with an Abit passive fan and
a 10/100 NIC. But other than that I can see no obvious difference between
the two. The built-in overclocking tools are a bit of a wank as most
experienced users can manually overclock both to the highest stable level
and then set and forget. Luckily it can be disabled.

So am I missing a major difference between the two, or is one or the other
distinctly better?

ICee

Geoff Kloaka wrote:
> Having basically decided on the Abit IS7 for two mates who are each
> after a cost-effective, capable PC, I've recently stumbled across the
> newer AI7 which for all intents and purposes seems virtually
> identical.
>
> As an IC7 owner myself, the IS7 seems excellent value as by all
> accounts it runs just as fast and stable as its big brother including
> full PAT implementation. The fact that it is cheaper and also
> includes a built-in 10/100 NIC was the clincher. Of course, both
> contain the hideous Abit Northbridge fan, but this is easily replaced
> by a passive Zalman for under $10.
>
> In the AI7's favour, is the fact that it comes with an Abit passive
> fan and a 10/100 NIC. But other than that I can see no obvious
> difference between the two. The built-in overclocking tools are a bit
> of a wank as most experienced users can manually overclock both to
> the highest stable level and then set and forget. Luckily it can be
> disabled.
>
> So am I missing a major difference between the two, or is one or the
> other distinctly better?

AFAICT, they are the same except for the "uGuru" overclocking chip.
Abit did the same with the NF7 MB for AMD CPU's. They came out with the
AN7 which is the same as the NF7, except for the addition of the uGuru
chip.

Wayne Youngman

"Geoff Kloaka" wrote
> In the AI7's favour, is the fact that it comes with an Abit passive fan

and
> a 10/100 NIC. But other than that I can see no obvious difference between
> the two. The built-in overclocking tools are a bit of a wank as most
> experienced users can manually overclock both to the highest stable level
> and then set and forget. Luckily it can be disabled.
>
> So am I missing a major difference between the two, or is one or the other
> distinctly better?

Hi,
the AI7 doesn't have a *passive* fan? also it has up to 3.2vDimm adjustments
and have become known as a *Canterwood Killer!*, I will buy more I think. .
.. .
--
Wayne ][

Geoff Kloaka

"Wayne Youngman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Geoff Kloaka" wrote
> > In the AI7's favour, is the fact that it comes with an Abit passive fan

> and
> > a 10/100 NIC. But other than that I can see no obvious difference

between
> > the two. The built-in overclocking tools are a bit of a wank as most
> > experienced users can manually overclock both to the highest stable

level
> > and then set and forget. Luckily it can be disabled.
> >
> > So am I missing a major difference between the two, or is one or the

other
> > distinctly better?

> Hi,
> the AI7 doesn't have a *passive* fan? also it has up to 3.2vDimm

adjustments
> and have become known as a *Canterwood Killer!*, I will buy more I think.

..

Oops - I don't know why I wrote that? Obviously the AI7 has the newer
Northbridge fan and it certainly isn't passive! How do you find the
performance and noise of it?

Also, the only other difference I can find besides the layout is the inbuilt
sound. Notice any real improvement over the IS7 or IC7 boards?

Cheers.

TomG

and be advised that the uGuru hardware can cause issues with other non-uGuru
aware software like monitoring software...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geoff Kloaka wrote:
> > Having basically decided on the Abit IS7 for two mates who are each
> > after a cost-effective, capable PC, I've recently stumbled across the
> > newer AI7 which for all intents and purposes seems virtually
> > identical.
> >
> > As an IC7 owner myself, the IS7 seems excellent value as by all
> > accounts it runs just as fast and stable as its big brother including
> > full PAT implementation. The fact that it is cheaper and also
> > includes a built-in 10/100 NIC was the clincher. Of course, both
> > contain the hideous Abit Northbridge fan, but this is easily replaced
> > by a passive Zalman for under $10.
> >
> > In the AI7's favour, is the fact that it comes with an Abit passive
> > fan and a 10/100 NIC. But other than that I can see no obvious
> > difference between the two. The built-in overclocking tools are a bit
> > of a wank as most experienced users can manually overclock both to
> > the highest stable level and then set and forget. Luckily it can be
> > disabled.
> >
> > So am I missing a major difference between the two, or is one or the
> > other distinctly better?

> AFAICT, they are the same except for the "uGuru" overclocking chip.
> Abit did the same with the NF7 MB for AMD CPU's. They came out with the
> AN7 which is the same as the NF7, except for the addition of the uGuru
> chip.

Wayne Youngman

"TomG" wrote
> and be advised that the uGuru hardware can cause issues with other

non-uGuru
> aware software like monitoring software...

Hi Tom,
that doesn't seem to be an issue now that *MBM5 v370* is released, which now
has full uGuru support (I'm still using the MBM5 v366 BETA which also has
uGuru support).

AI7 has a more complete sound solution (Realtek ACL 658, added Optical in).
The AI7 is my first P4 motherboard so I'm not really sure how it compares to
the IS7/IC7.
--
Wayne ][

TomG