Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > my web search/bar usefull??

my web search/bar usefull??

fredcromer

it's been reporting a virus in the my websearch/bar or a parasite of some
sort...'Websearch toollc' whatever that is....is it wise to send the file to
recycle bin?
fred...cheers
any1 know what Backdoor.Cabro is?, cos that was the other reported parasite
in my reg.

Ionizer

"fredcromer" <fred@refrobbedsol> wrote in message
news:40e0e4b3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> it's been reporting a virus in the my websearch/bar or a parasite of

some
> sort...'Websearch toollc' whatever that is....is it wise to send the

file to
> recycle bin?
> fred...cheers
> any1 know what Backdoor.Cabro is?, cos that was the other reported

parasite
> in my reg.

Update AdAware- it might remove MyWebSearch. Or see this:
http://www.spysweeper.com/mysearch-uninstall.html

Backdoor.Cabro is a Trojan- and an older one at that:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oor.cabro.html

You do end up with a lot of crap on your system don't you, Fred?

Regards,
Ian.

fredcromer

It's cos i bought it for 80 quid,no frills 64mb ram,4 gig hd.....no
firewall,ZA too complicated and questions,questions....but i do admit that
this recieving 20 + emails a day with attachments is getting tedious...I do
have Mailwasher for 'em, also noadaware,spybot s+d,rambooster,and
spysweeper, so i'm doin my best for a 4 month 'newbie', in the mid eighties,
I wrote some computer progs in Basic, that were used at a local oil
refinery...conoco-phillips...and 1 that sold for 1000quid but the bbc comp
was given too, so the program(a bingo one for an arcade), went for around
750 quid...I used to be quite good at one time with computers,.I hadn't
touched one for 20 years up until 4 month ago Ian...bear with me mate
All the best FRED

Ionizer

"fredcromer" <fred@refrobbedsol> wrote in message
news:40e198d3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's cos i bought it for 80 quid,no frills 64mb ram,4 gig hd.....no
> firewall,ZA too complicated and questions,questions....but i do admit

that
> this recieving 20 + emails a day with attachments is getting tedious...I

do
> have Mailwasher for 'em, also noadaware,spybot s+d,rambooster,and
> spysweeper, so i'm doin my best for a 4 month 'newbie', in the mid

eighties,
> I wrote some computer progs in Basic, that were used at a local oil
> refinery...conoco-phillips...and 1 that sold for 1000quid but the bbc

comp
> was given too, so the program(a bingo one for an arcade), went for

around
> 750 quid...I used to be quite good at one time with computers,.I hadn't
> touched one for 20 years up until 4 month ago Ian...bear with me mate
> All the best FRED

Hang in there, Fred. There's a learning curve involved, but there's a lot
of fun to be had along the way.

The free version of Zone Alarm really isn't all that complicated, and you
really should have a firewall. Zone Alarm would have spotted that trojan
of yours the first time it tried to phone home for instance, allowing you
to take immediate steps to remove it.

I've learned a great deal by reading through helpful newsgroups such as
this one, and by talking to a couple of knowledgeable friends. I have
also learned a lot by subscribing to this free email newsletter:
http://www.langa.com/newsletter.htm Fred Langa has a wonderful way of
explaining complex issues in a way that makes them easy to understand. I
have subscribed to the newsletter since I bought my first computer five
years ago, and I enjoy it so much that I ended up subscribing to the paid
(Plus) edition.

Regards,
Ian.

Gary G. Taylor

fredcromer wrote:

> ZA too complicated

You write programs, but ZoneAlarm is too complicated, huh.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

fredcromer

cheers mate, but it seems that there are certain newsgroup users,who for
1.can't take any crap whotsoever,...after all, it's to be expected when my
comps playin' up ,i'm gonna be frustrated, but it's good to see that you
appreciate a newcomer,and the difficulties involved,especially virus' ,they
absoloutely 'box' me...a guy in this newsgroup is sendin me emails i
think,with attachments, what do i do about it, his name comes up in the
'viewsource' email....but whaddya do,..i was a bit rude to him and he's a
good commy user, i wish i'd have used a comp for the last 20 years, i reckon
i'd be pretty fluent now in most aspects of IT..
Cherrs for feedback, Ian.......FRED

fredcromer

read the post pal, i said i DID....20 soddin years ago, also ,i used the
words....'basic'...'BBC' and '1980's'....what's that got to do with ZA,you
div?