Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Something Happened??

Something Happened??

Jimbob Sweeny

I am running Windows 2000 and this morning I had a power hick up?
Anyway, I lost all my bookmarks and saved mail in my Netscape. IE
seems OK. Netscape acts like I need to start over like a new user. I
haven't yet because I really do need to find my stuff!
Any ideas?
Jimbo

Juan Pérez

:: I am running Windows 2000 and this morning I had a power hick up?
:: Anyway, I lost all my bookmarks and saved mail in my Netscape. IE
:: seems OK. Netscape acts like I need to start over like a new user. I
:: haven't yet because I really do need to find my stuff!
:: Any ideas?
:: Jimbo

What version NS do you use,what have you done since the "mishap?" Any
reboots? Any maintenance tasks? Scandisk with 'fix errors' turned on
might help. Does 2000 have 'Restore Points'? Post back if you still need
help.

--
Juan
"You may disagree with what I have to say, but I will defend to your

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Jimbob Sweeny wrote:

> I am running Windows 2000 and this morning I had a power hick up?
> Anyway, I lost all my bookmarks and saved mail in my Netscape. IE
> seems OK. Netscape acts like I need to start over like a new user. I
> haven't yet because I really do need to find my stuff!
> Any ideas?
> Jimbo

Had you had a hiccup instead of a hick up, someone might have been able
to help.

Juan Pérez

:: Jimbob Sweeny wrote:
::
::: I am running Windows 2000 and this morning I had a power hick up?
::: Anyway, I lost all my bookmarks and saved mail in my Netscape. IE
::: seems OK. Netscape acts like I need to start over like a new user. I
::: haven't yet because I really do need to find my stuff!
::: Any ideas?
::: Jimbo
::
:: Had you had a hiccup instead of a hick up, someone might have been
:: able to help.

Heh....would a hiccough work?

why?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:53:08 -0500, Jimbob Sweeny wrote:

>I am running Windows 2000 and this morning I had a power hick up?
>Anyway, I lost all my bookmarks and saved mail in my Netscape. IE
>seems OK. Netscape acts like I need to start over like a new user. I
>haven't yet because I really do need to find my stuff!
>Any ideas?
>Jimbo

You could use a better subject line, it's fairly poor.
Also what version of NS.

This works, once with the sort of circumstances you describe and many
times moving the entire NS files/folders to other PCs as systems
upgraded.

Never tried with any version after 4.7x.
(Although my NS 7.1 profile selection , points towards a NS7.1 / Mozilla
/ 4.7x directories . I simply used existing profile names and edited the
individual paths if needed.)

If you find the Program Files\Netscape\Users\<profile name> folders all
your stuff should be there. Backup the users directory first for safety.

If you start NS or reinstall the info (like profile selection) is
missing, simply create a new profile, with an existing <profile name>
i.e. one of the folder names Program Files\Netscape\Users\<profile
name>.

NS says file / profile already exist use that, answer Y.

That should be it.

Me

Peter H

"Jimbob Sweeny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running Windows 2000 and this morning I had a power hick up?
> Anyway, I lost all my bookmarks and saved mail in my Netscape. IE
> seems OK. Netscape acts like I need to start over like a new user. I
> haven't yet because I really do need to find my stuff!
> Any ideas?
> Jimbo

Reboot to last know good configuration.

Peter H

Muppet

"Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Had you had a hiccup instead of a hick up, someone might have been able
> to help.

That was a reply worthy of Oscar Wilde.....

It's Tossers like You that make usenet such a miserable experience for
newcomers and the reason it is dying on its arse...

SgtMinor

Muppet wrote:

> "Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> > Had you had a hiccup instead of a hick up, someone might have been able
> > to help.

> That was a reply worthy of Oscar Wilde.....
>
> It's Tossers like You that make usenet such a miserable experience for
> newcomers and the reason it is dying on its arse...

Speak for yourself. To me he's the Juan and only.