Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting a Camcorder to a PC

Connecting a Camcorder to a PC

Mel Barlow

Can anyone advise?

I have a PC with a raft of USB 2.0 ports but no Firewire port and am going
to buy a Camcorder that can be connected to a PC via a USB 2.0. Are thre
any major downsides in connecting via USB-2 as opposed to Firewire (apart
from transfer speed) ?

Thanks,

Mel Barlow

Patrick

If you want, you can go to an electronics store like Circuit City or BestBuy
and get a PCI card that has Firewire ports. It costs about $40. But I do not
know any down sides.

"Mel Barlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbn185$2fu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone advise?
>
> I have a PC with a raft of USB 2.0 ports but no Firewire port and am going
> to buy a Camcorder that can be connected to a PC via a USB 2.0. Are thre
> any major downsides in connecting via USB-2 as opposed to Firewire (apart
> from transfer speed) ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mel Barlow

Paul - xxx

Mel Barlow typed:
> Can anyone advise?
>
> I have a PC with a raft of USB 2.0 ports but no Firewire port and am going
> to buy a Camcorder that can be connected to a PC via a USB 2.0. Are thre
> any major downsides in connecting via USB-2 as opposed to Firewire (apart
> from transfer speed) ?

I believe Firewire connected devices, when correctly configured, can also
control the basic operations of cameras etc. I don't believe USB2 can ..

For simplicity I'd get a PCI firewire port ... any half-decent computer
store will have them .. that way you don't pay any extra for USB
compatibility. Though in many cases the USB compatibility is simply a
matter of cabling ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

tigercat

what O/S are u running? i just went thru the same thing. i run win xp pro
and got a belkin firewire pci card [3 ports]. i must say, the first one i
bought didn't work, and the second one came in different colored packaging
and included a CD with various s/w. i installed the card and booted up, and
XP immediately recognized the card - i didn't have to do anything.

when i connected the camcorder i used MS Movie Maker which basically takes
over the device and you control it with the s/w. it's pretty
straightforward from there.

good luck.

p.s. - the first card i got and installed caused my PC not to boot at all -
no bios or anything. i hope this doesn't happen to you - i think i just had
a bad card, which is also what the manufacturer thought.

"Mel Barlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbn185$2fu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone advise?
>
> I have a PC with a raft of USB 2.0 ports but no Firewire port and am going
> to buy a Camcorder that can be connected to a PC via a USB 2.0. Are thre
> any major downsides in connecting via USB-2 as opposed to Firewire (apart
> from transfer speed) ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mel Barlow

Plato

Mel Barlow wrote:

> I have a PC with a raft of USB 2.0 ports but no Firewire port and am going
> to buy a Camcorder that can be connected to a PC via a USB 2.0. Are thre
> any major downsides in connecting via USB-2 as opposed to Firewire (apart
> from transfer speed) ?

Just make sure the pc you are buying has at least some open pci slots in
case you want to add a firewire card in the future. Reason I saying this
is I'm seeing many pcs these days with only one pci slot and once you
add cable it's used up for the nic. Or it may come with a nic onboard
but if you need dial up then you use the one slot for the modem if you
go internal.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/