Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > funny characters

funny characters

Tina Jaworski

Greetings,
Anyone happen to know what would cause some (but not all) alphabet
characters to appear as boxes? It's been happening with emails so I went
and tried to view my email through the server directly to see if it was the
email client I was using and some of the web page alphabet characters appear
as little boxes also. I ran scandisk and no errors were found. I'd sure
appreciate any help I could get on this.
Thanks much,
Tina

Toolman Tim

"Tina Jaworski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news13Dc.946$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
| Greetings,
| Anyone happen to know what would cause some (but not all) alphabet
| characters to appear as boxes? It's been happening with emails so I went
| and tried to view my email through the server directly to see if it was
the
| email client I was using and some of the web page alphabet characters
appear
| as little boxes also. I ran scandisk and no errors were found. I'd sure
| appreciate any help I could get on this.
| Thanks much,
| Tina

Change the font you're viewing them in? You may have a funny font chosen as
default. Or you may have a damaged font file.

Tina Jaworski

Thanks but I'm a tad confused! Is there a default computer font that would
affect both emails received and internet websites? I know where to go in
Outlook to change the default font but how could I change a font of
someone's website...aren't i viewing it just as they have coded it?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tina Jaworski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news13Dc.946$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> | Greetings,
> | Anyone happen to know what would cause some (but not all) alphabet
> | characters to appear as boxes? It's been happening with emails so I

went
> | and tried to view my email through the server directly to see if it was
> the
> | email client I was using and some of the web page alphabet characters
> appear
> | as little boxes also. I ran scandisk and no errors were found. I'd

sure
> | appreciate any help I could get on this.
> | Thanks much,
> | Tina
>
> Change the font you're viewing them in? You may have a funny font chosen

as
> default. Or you may have a damaged font file.

Toolman Tim

If you have a damaged font on your computer, it will display as damaged in
any application that uses it. Web programmers generally do not upload their
fonts to your computer - they rely on the basic fonts that come installed in
the system. Have you been able to narrow it down to any specific font(s)?
Have you tried viewing those fonts in Word, Wordpad, Notepad, etc.? Have you
checked the fonts in the Control Panel font folder to see if they display
correctly from there? Just thinking out loud...

"Tina Jaworski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qQ3Dc.13856$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
| Thanks but I'm a tad confused! Is there a default computer font that
would
| affect both emails received and internet websites? I know where to go in
| Outlook to change the default font but how could I change a font of
| someone's website...aren't i viewing it just as they have coded it?
|

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "Tina Jaworski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news13Dc.946$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
| > | Greetings,
| > | Anyone happen to know what would cause some (but not all) alphabet
| > | characters to appear as boxes? It's been happening with emails so I
| went
| > | and tried to view my email through the server directly to see if it
was
| > the
| > | email client I was using and some of the web page alphabet characters
| > appear
| > | as little boxes also. I ran scandisk and no errors were found. I'd
| sure
| > | appreciate any help I could get on this.
| > | Thanks much,
| > | Tina
| >
| > Change the font you're viewing them in? You may have a funny font chosen
| as
| > default. Or you may have a damaged font file.

trout

Tina Jaworski wrote:

> Thanks but I'm a tad confused! Is there a default computer font that
> would affect both emails received and internet websites? I know
> where to go in Outlook to change the default font but how could I
> change a font of someone's website...aren't i viewing it just as they
> have coded it?

Don't know if it applies to you; but OE *can* be set to "Ignore font
styles specified on Web Pages". From the "Accessibility" button; on the
General page of Internet Options. If that's checked; all sites will be
displayed in whatever's been selected under Fonts (on the same page).
--
"Just in case some malevolent type has set it to 'Wing-dings' or
something equally unpleasant."