Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is there a way to change the behavior of the File-Open dialog (Mac)

Is there a way to change the behavior of the File-Open dialog (Mac)

Smitty

I have a Mac G5 running 10.3.3.

When I re-open an item in Quark (or any other program for that matter) Quark
remembers the last folder I was in, but starts with the focus on the folder,
not the last document opened.

Eg.

I want to insert a picture in an open document I choose File -> Open
I drill my way down on the CD to some image directory1 -> directory2
I find the file File1 and open it.

Nope, that's not the one I wanted. File ->Open
The open box does open to directory2, but directory2 is highlighted, not the
last file I opened, so sometimes I have to browse through a long list of
files, and often forget which file was the last one used.

Is there some way to change this behavior so the last FILE remains
highlighted, not the parent folder?

Thanks guys.

Boomer

"Smitty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a Mac G5 running 10.3.3.
>
> When I re-open an item in Quark (or any other program for that
> matter) Quark remembers the last folder I was in, but starts
> with the focus on the folder, not the last document opened.

Hi

If you haven't already, you might want to ask over here also.

Quark Forums
http://www.quark.com/service/forums/

comp.sys.mac.system
comp.sys.mac.apps

HTH

> Eg.
>
> I want to insert a picture in an open document I choose File ->
> Open I drill my way down on the CD to some image directory1 ->
> directory2 I find the file File1 and open it.
>
> Nope, that's not the one I wanted. File ->Open
> The open box does open to directory2, but directory2 is
> highlighted, not the last file I opened, so sometimes I have to
> browse through a long list of files, and often forget which file
> was the last one used.
>
> Is there some way to change this behavior so the last FILE
> remains highlighted, not the parent folder?
>
> Thanks guys.

Max

In article <1088082047.738011@faramir>, Smitty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a Mac G5 running 10.3.3.

Lucky Pup.

> When I re-open an item in Quark (or any other program for that matter) Quark
> remembers the last folder I was in, but starts with the focus on the folder,
> not the last document opened.
>
> Eg.
>
> I want to insert a picture in an open document I choose File -> Open
> I drill my way down on the CD to some image directory1 -> directory2
> I find the file File1 and open it.
>
> Nope, that's not the one I wanted. File ->Open
> The open box does open to directory2, but directory2 is highlighted, not the
> last file I opened, so sometimes I have to browse through a long list of
> files, and often forget which file was the last one used.
>
> Is there some way to change this behavior so the last FILE remains
> highlighted, not the parent folder?

No, I don't think so. I think Apple's specifications are that the path
end in a folder and not a file (since there are very few instances
where this task would regularly be performed for the same file).

However, there is a shortcut method: make that item a Favorite, and it
will appear in the pop-up dialog right above, requiring just that one
step.

If it helps, you can also stretch the dialog open more to show a third
column of navigation, and of course downward to show more items in the
list. This setting will be retained in that program, so the window
would always be larger.