Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop format

laptop format

pel

i want to format a laptop windows 98se,but using this command in ms-dos
FORMAT C: it will format up to 44% then stops and says disk not ready.
it has a D drive as well,same happends with this.
Any idea.s how i can clean the hard drive and put back win 98,unfortanetley
it does not have a recovery disk.

Unk

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 04:32:04 +0100, "pel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i want to format a laptop windows 98se,but using this command in ms-dos
>FORMAT C: it will format up to 44% then stops and says disk not ready.
>it has a D drive as well,same happends with this.
>Any idea.s how i can clean the hard drive and put back win 98,unfortanetley
>it does not have a recovery disk.

Are you formatting it from a boot floppy?

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a
Hard Disk: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255867

TH

Experienced similar prob when I removed a drive, then put back and tried to
format - The answer lay in the bios and the sizes of drives detected -

No disk - if you have CD Rom, change boot sequence in Bios to boot from CD
drive - ensure disk in drive - Follow instructions

I always use the command format c: /s - this copies system files to HD.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...