Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless network question

Wireless network question

JED

At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys befsr41)
Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the internet access.
one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to know though, is if i
remove
the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g card
Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the current
ethernet card inplace)
Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the router for
internet access.

Unfortunately my router doesn't have wireless built in so i'm a little
stuck.

Someone mensioned you would have to bridge the ethernet connection and
wireless
connection downstairs together for this to work.
But how is this done if this is right.

Thanks for any help

Jeroen Wijnands

JED wrote:

> At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys befsr41)
> Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the internet access.
> one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to know though, is if i
> remove
> the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g card
> Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the current
> ethernet card inplace)
> Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the router for
> internet access.

With the proper software settings and if your house doesn't block the
signal too much this should be possible.

> Unfortunately my router doesn't have wireless built in so i'm a little
> stuck.

You could replace it with one that does.

> Someone mensioned you would have to bridge the ethernet connection and
> wireless
> connection downstairs together for this to work.
> But how is this done if this is right.

Well, with modern windows you could do it with internet connection
sharing.

--
Groeten/Regards
Jeroen Wijnands

Boomer

Jeroen Wijnands wrote:

Ik denk dat je kan doorgaan als een gefrustreerde geadopteerde vliegenvanger. Ik vind jou een door de plee gespoelde verrotte boef. Straks vind ik je nog een afgelikte opgeklopte mietje.

JED

Thanx for the reply
It looks like i'll have to get a wireless router
I've used ICS before through windows and i had
slow net traffic most of the time.

"Jeroen Wijnands" <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl> wrote in
message news:40d69c96$1$568$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> JED wrote:
>
> > At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys

befsr41)
> > Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the internet

access.
> > one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to know though, is if i
> > remove
> > the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g

card
> > Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the current
> > ethernet card inplace)
> > Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the router

for
> > internet access.
> >

> With the proper software settings and if your house doesn't block the
> signal too much this should be possible.
>
> > Unfortunately my router doesn't have wireless built in so i'm a little
> > stuck.

> You could replace it with one that does.
> >
> > Someone mensioned you would have to bridge the ethernet connection and
> > wireless
> > connection downstairs together for this to work.
> > But how is this done if this is right.
> >

> Well, with modern windows you could do it with internet connection
> sharing.
>

> --
> Groeten/Regards
> Jeroen Wijnands
> jeroen at wijnands punt xs4all punt nl

Duane Arnold

"JED" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cb6d5b$324$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanx for the reply
> It looks like i'll have to get a wireless router
> I've used ICS before through windows and i had
> slow net traffic most of the time.

You can get a WAP (Wireless Access Point) and plug it into the router and
go on about your business.

You don't need ICS, because the router you have is supposed to be the
gateway device for the LAN and WAN and will allow the machines to share
resources, even the ones that are connected to the WAP.

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=608
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...t-wireless.asp

Your may want to look into the wireless security of the home network,
using Google.

Duane

why?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:24:28 +0100, JED wrote:

>At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys befsr41)
>Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the internet access.
>one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to know though, is if i
>remove
>the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g card
>Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the current
>ethernet card inplace)
>Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the router for
>internet access.

If you route between the 2 interfaces yes, however the 1 PC with the
wired / wireless connection would need to be on all the time.

>Unfortunately my router doesn't have wireless built in so i'm a little
>stuck.

In that case if you have a free port on the BEFSR41, plug in a Wireless
Access Point, like
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=538
article http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wlan.html

>Someone mensioned you would have to bridge the ethernet connection and
>wireless
>connection downstairs together for this to work.

Yes, but it can be messy.

>But how is this done if this is right.

For Win NT, simply click the routing box in TCPIP properties, requires 2
network connections.

For Win 2000, Start / Help same for XP.
XP http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpbrdge.htm

Other articles
http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/

>Thanks for any help

Me

Boomer

why? wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:24:28 +0100, JED wrote:
>
>> At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys
>> befsr41) Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the
>> internet access. one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to
>> know though, is if i remove
>> the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g
>> card Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the
>> current ethernet card inplace)
>> Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the
>> router for internet access.

> If you route between the 2 interfaces yes, however the 1 PC with the
> wired / wireless connection would need to be on all the time.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You tard.

>> Unfortunately my router doesn't have wireless built in so i'm a
>> little stuck.

> In that case if you have a free port on the BEFSR41, plug in a
> Wireless Access Point, like
> http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=538
> article http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wlan.html
>
>> Someone mensioned you would have to bridge the ethernet connection
>> and wireless
>> connection downstairs together for this to work.

> Yes, but it can be messy.
>
>> But how is this done if this is right.

> For Win NT, simply click the routing box in TCPIP properties,
> requires 2 network connections.
>
> For Win 2000, Start / Help same for XP.
> XP http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpbrdge.htm
>
> Other articles
> http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/
>

>> Thanks for any help
>>

> Me

JED

Thanx for the help guys n girls
Specially Boomer, for calling me a tard

"JED" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cb65vo$jh9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys befsr41)
> Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the internet

access.
> one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to know though, is if i
> remove
> the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g card
> Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the current
> ethernet card inplace)
> Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the router

for
> internet access.
>
> Unfortunately my router doesn't have wireless built in so i'm a little
> stuck.
>
> Someone mensioned you would have to bridge the ethernet connection and
> wireless
> connection downstairs together for this to work.
> But how is this done if this is right.
>

> Thanks for any help

Boomer

JED wrote:
> Thanx for the help guys n girls
> Specially Boomer, for calling me a tard

I called the poster who replied to you a tard, you ****ing tard. Learn to
****ing read.

<aside>
****ing tard.

Jim Berwick

"JED" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cb6d5b$324$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanx for the reply
> It looks like i'll have to get a wireless router
> I've used ICS before through windows and i had
> slow net traffic most of the time.

If you are dead set on using wireless, just get yourself a wireless access
point and plug it into your current router. Usually cheaper anyway.