Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Let laptop battery run out?

Let laptop battery run out?

guillermo

I remember that people used to say you should let your laptop's battery run
out before recharging it. Why was that?

Also, it seems like I don't hear people saying that as much anymore. Does
this advice still apply to today's laptops?

Just curious...

Toolman Tim

"guillermo" <guillermo@june.20> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)
> > I remember that people used to say you should let your laptop's
> > battery run out before recharging it. Why was that?
> >
> > Also, it seems like I don't hear people saying that as much
> > anymore. Does this advice still apply to today's laptops?
> >
> > Just curious...

The "non-technical" answer:

That was in reference to the old NiCad batteries. The NiCads have a "memory"
problem - if you only discharge it part way each time, it "memorizes" that
point. And then it will not function as a fully charged battery - it gets to
that spot and quits.

Newer laptops come with Lithium Ion batteries, and they don't require the
full discharge since they don't have the memory problem.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Karen Kording

I have a fairly new laptop. I was told that the first night I had it I
should let the battery totally discharge. I haven't done so since that
first night.
Karen