Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft &Ebay emails

Microsoft &Ebay emails

jason.p

Can you please advise. I've been getting quite a few emails supposedly from
Microsoft advising me to download the latest security updates (I do in fact
keep up to date with them anyway). Is it reasonable to assume that these are
bogus?
I also get supposed emails from ebay asking for confirmation of my
membership details. The latest is one that tells me that as I haven't
replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will not be renewed. I've
assumed that these are also bogus, or am I being paranoid??
Thanks in advance.

Boomer

"jason.p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can you please advise. I've been getting quite a few emails
> supposedly from Microsoft advising me to download the latest
> security updates (I do in fact keep up to date with them
> anyway). Is it reasonable to assume that these are bogus?
> I also get supposed emails from ebay asking for confirmation of
> my membership details. The latest is one that tells me that as I
> haven't replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will
> not be renewed. I've assumed that these are also bogus, or am I
> being paranoid?? Thanks in advance.

Delete them!

PJB

"jason.p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Can you please advise. I've been getting quite a few

emails supposedly from
> Microsoft advising me to download the latest security

updates (I do in fact
> keep up to date with them anyway). Is it reasonable to

assume that these are
> bogus?
> I also get supposed emails from ebay asking for

confirmation of my
> membership details. The latest is one that tells me that

as I haven't
> replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will

not be renewed. I've
> assumed that these are also bogus, or am I being

paranoid??
> Thanks in advance.

usually spoof emails from Microsoft have a "security
upgrade" as an attachment. If the email is just telling you
to keep up-to-date, then it's not really malicous. As for
Ebay, get in touch with them, and ask them if your account
is still current..

P.

sethra

"jason.p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) t:

> Can you please advise. I've been getting quite a few emails supposedly
> from Microsoft advising me to download the latest security updates (I
> do in fact keep up to date with them anyway). Is it reasonable to
> assume that these are bogus?
> I also get supposed emails from ebay asking for confirmation of my
> membership details. The latest is one that tells me that as I haven't
> replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will not be
> renewed. I've assumed that these are also bogus, or am I being
> paranoid?? Thanks in advance.

Microsoft NEVER distributes security updates via email.

NEVER.

Ebay may contact you via email, but they will NEVER ask via email for
logins, passwords, credit card numbers, or any other confidential data.

NEVER.

(Neither will your bank or any other legitimate online business. Email is
*NOT* secure.)

Just delete them all, or better yet report them to spamcop, the source
isp, the FTC, and Ebay if it's an Ebay spoof.

You might also want to check out the FAQs and info pages on Ebay's
Safeharbor section. They have information and instructions on what to do
if you receive a spoofed Ebay email. Windowsupdate has a FAQ also.

Regards,
--
~sethra

The Great Cornholio

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:41:41 +0100, "jason.p" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can you please advise. I've been getting quite a few emails supposedly from
>Microsoft advising me to download the latest security updates (I do in fact
>keep up to date with them anyway). Is it reasonable to assume that these are
>bogus?
>I also get supposed emails from ebay asking for confirmation of my
>membership details. The latest is one that tells me that as I haven't
>replied, my ebay membership has been suspended and will not be renewed. I've
>assumed that these are also bogus, or am I being paranoid??
>Thanks in advance.

Any e-mails purporting to be from Microsoft containing an attachment
is going to be bogus. You should really have an anti-virus program
that will pick them up and qurantine them. Likewise, any e-mail
claiming to be from E-bay asking you to go to a website and enter your
account details is going to be a scam. You can forward those messages
to spoof (at) e.bay.com for further investigation.

Karen Kording

Totally ignore the purported emails from Ebay. Someone is trying to collect
information from you that you should NOT pass on.
Karen