Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File copying process changed? CDFS vs. NTFS

File copying process changed? CDFS vs. NTFS

Sooner

Hi,

I was trying to copy some files to a CD today, and suddenly I got a
new Microsoft wizard that copies files to a temp directory and forced
me to add the files in a separate step. Also, the file system is CDFS
not NTFS as it always was in the past. I also can no longer use
Roxio's DirectCD Format utility -- it won't recognize any of my CD or
DVD write drives. How can I go back to the old simpler way of copying
files?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Sooner

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Sooner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to copy some files to a CD today, and suddenly I got a
> new Microsoft wizard that copies files to a temp directory and forced
> me to add the files in a separate step. Also, the file system is CDFS
> not NTFS as it always was in the past. I also can no longer use
> Roxio's DirectCD Format utility -- it won't recognize any of my CD or
> DVD write drives. How can I go back to the old simpler way of copying
> files?

Disable the XP wizard, and enable DirectCD.

BTW - several things I gleaned that you didn't mention -

1) You're running on XP - since XP has a Roxio core module built in
to handle ISO creation.

2) You don't know what you're talking about - because CDFS is what
DirectCD ends up with also, once you close it. And DirectCD disks are NEVER
NTFS ...

3) You don't give a **** about your data, or you'd not use DirectCD
for CD-RWs or CD-Rs, since it uses UDF not ISO format. XP's internal
burning program DOES use ISO format ... which makes it more reliable in
terms of backing up and transportability to other systems (imagine that!)

4) You don't know how to ask questions well - you forgot the OS,
what you did immediately previous to the change (install SP2? Windows
Updates? New game? Restore a previous Restore Point? What?), thereby
expecting everyone to use their crystal balls to figure out the answer.
Guess what - Almost nobody here clinks when they walk (they don't have
crystal balls, IOW).

RwP

Toolman Tim

"Ralph Wade Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> > Howdy!
> >
> > "Sooner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was trying to copy some files to a CD today, and suddenly I got
> > > a new Microsoft wizard that copies files to a temp directory and
> > > forced me to add the files in a separate step. Also, the file
> > > system is CDFS not NTFS as it always was in the past. I also can
> > > no longer use Roxio's DirectCD Format utility -- it won't
> > > recognize any of my CD or DVD write drives. How can I go back to
> > > the old simpler way of copying files?
> > >

> > Disable the XP wizard, and enable DirectCD.
> >
> > BTW - several things I gleaned that you didn't mention -
> >
> > 1) You're running on XP - since XP has a Roxio core module
> > built in to handle ISO creation.
> >
> > 2) You don't know what you're talking about - because CDFS
> > is what DirectCD ends up with also, once you close it. And
> > DirectCD disks are NEVER NTFS ...
> >
> > 3) You don't give a **** about your data, or you'd not use
> > DirectCD for CD-RWs or CD-Rs, since it uses UDF not ISO format.
> > XP's internal burning program DOES use ISO format ... which makes
> > it more reliable in terms of backing up and transportability to
> > other systems (imagine that!)

So what do YOU suggest for "on the fly" use of CDRWs?

> > 4) You don't know how to ask questions well - you forgot
> > the OS, what you did immediately previous to the change (install
> > SP2? Windows Updates? New game? Restore a previous Restore
> > Point? What?), thereby expecting everyone to use their crystal
> > balls to figure out the answer. Guess what - Almost nobody here
> > clinks when they walk (they don't have crystal balls, IOW).

(no crystal balls here either <g>)

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

AsianSpanker AsianSpanker is offline
Junior Member

Dear RwP, Did you see the Big Bang Theory episode when Sheldon's mother told him " Remember when all the neighbor kids beat you up for telling them how much smarter you were than they were?
I thought that was pretty funny. I am a retired Marine Engineer and sometimes when I get on a boat with landlubbers I cannot believe how often they put themselves into danger and everyone else too. Or do things like storing things in the hold that shouldn't get wet, under the waterline, when you can see water gets in that hold all the time.
My point is, you are pretty damn smart. Thanks for helping us who are lesser
at understanding Computer Science.
I have been spending my time learning Ubuntu because Microsoft seems to feel that after I bought their computer OS they can change things without my permission whenever they want. I am sure I gave them permission to do this by checking the box that said "have you read all the conditions" that would take anyone 1/2 hour to read.
Thanks for taking the time to answer questions here. But please don't be to hard on us.
I love watching The Big Bang Theory with real professors from Stanford doing the research for the 4 very bright characters. This is a big life. We all need help in how to sector off our life's hard drive. How much time spent learning each part.
I spent years at sea, going from Seattle to Dutch Harbor. Back and forth. Made good money, but put way to much time in that area of my life.
It seems to me that most people can't see what is right in front of them when they walk onto the gangplank. I have gotten my sarcasm down to almost bearable.
I really did like your comments. Which proves I still haven't gotten my sarcasm under control.

"Sooner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to copy some files to a CD today, and suddenly I got a
> new Microsoft wizard that copies files to a temp directory and forced
> me to add the files in a separate step. Also, the file system is CDFS
> not NTFS as it always was in the past. I also can no longer use
> Roxio's DirectCD Format utility -- it won't recognize any of my CD or
> DVD write drives. How can I go back to the old simpler way of copying
> files?

Disable the XP wizard, and enable DirectCD.

BTW - several things I gleaned that you didn't mention -

1) You're running on XP - since XP has a Roxio core module built in
to handle ISO creation.

2) You don't know what you're talking about - because CDFS is what
DirectCD ends up with also, once you close it. And DirectCD disks are NEVER
NTFS ...

3) You don't give a **** about your data, or you'd not use DirectCD
for CD-RWs or CD-Rs, since it uses UDF not ISO format. XP's internal
burning program DOES use ISO format ... which makes it more reliable in
terms of backing up and transportability to other systems (imagine that!)

4) You don't know how to ask questions well - you forgot the OS,
what you did immediately previous to the change (install SP2? Windows
Updates? New game? Restore a previous Restore Point? What?), thereby
expecting everyone to use their crystal balls to figure out the answer.
Guess what - Almost nobody here clinks when they walk (they don't have
crystal balls, IOW).

RwP[/QUOTE]

CDFS partition on Flash drive. . . Tony Sperling Windows 64bit 28 09-07-2008 11:02 AM
delete file failed, The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process guoqi zheng ASP .Net 3 04-13-2005 06:17 PM
Help reading CDFS CDROM A NZ Computing 3 05-08-2004 09:58 AM
Creating a batch to determine if HD is NTFS if not format it NTFS Tech Computer Support 3 04-06-2004 06:19 PM
CDFS. Which format is this? John Computer Support 4 03-04-2004 01:53 AM

Advertisments