Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cd Drives have disappeared after uninstalling Search and destroy

Cd Drives have disappeared after uninstalling Search and destroy

Emma

I have uninstalled spybot search and destroy. The reason being that when it
loads at startup it often crashes. Shame as it was a good program.
Anyway when I rebooted after my cd drives have vanished.
I looked in the control panel and found the drives but the drivers
themselves need reinstalling (so it says) but how can I reinstall from the
cd if the drive won't work.
Because its been running slow for a while I have been thinking about
formatting and starting again but I have a Microsoft cordless mouse and
keyboard, will they work during a reload?
Thanks.
Emma

°Mike°

What operating system?

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 08:56:51 +0100, in
<Xns950E5B0478A01troili@195.8.68.217>
Emma scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Roy Jones

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 08:56:51 +0100, Emma wrote:

> I have uninstalled spybot search and destroy. The reason being that when it
> loads at startup it often crashes. Shame as it was a good program.
> Anyway when I rebooted after my cd drives have vanished.
> I looked in the control panel and found the drives but the drivers
> themselves need reinstalling (so it says) but how can I reinstall from the
> cd if the drive won't work.
> Because its been running slow for a while I have been thinking about
> formatting and starting again but I have a Microsoft cordless mouse and
> keyboard, will they work during a reload?
> Thanks.
> Emma

Are you sure your CD-ROM won't run on a generic ATAPI driver?
If it needs a vendor-specific driver, try the vendor's website or run a
Google search for the drive's make and model.

If you can locate the driver on the Net, you should be able to load it from
your hard disk.

Roy

gman

Emma wrote:
> I have uninstalled spybot search and destroy. The reason being that when it
> loads at startup it often crashes. Shame as it was a good program.
> Anyway when I rebooted after my cd drives have vanished.
> I looked in the control panel and found the drives but the drivers
> themselves need reinstalling (so it says) but how can I reinstall from the
> cd if the drive won't work.
> Because its been running slow for a while I have been thinking about
> formatting and starting again but I have a Microsoft cordless mouse and
> keyboard, will they work during a reload?
> Thanks.
> Emma

Which version of spybot did u download and where did u get it? I had
trouble with the latest 1.3, so i went back to 1.2. I did not
experience any problems with the drivers like you.

1. You may try restarting from a boot cd. This will have a generic cd
driver.

2. Download the drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

In the future copy the contents of the windows cd into a folder on ur
hard drive, such as C\winowsCD