Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > diagnostic tool?

diagnostic tool?

pel

Please can someone tell me if there is a free download DIAGNOSTIC TOOL on
the net i can download,my friends computer still freezes up,and i cannot
find out why.
I'm pressuming its ither a programme or driver problem,maybe a Diagnostic
tool will root out the problem,or else i will have to Format the harddrive
and start again which i dont want to do really.

Windows XP HE,3.06 P4,IG OF RAM PC400,

THANKYOU
pel

SgtMinor

Reformatting is hardly ever a good idea. What makes you think it would
solve the problem, I mean your friend's problem.

What are some of the details about this computer freezing up? When did
it start happening, what changes were made to this computer (programs or
hardware installed), how hot are the innards, and is it clean of
viruses, etc?

pel wrote:

> Please can someone tell me if there is a free download DIAGNOSTIC TOOL on
> the net i can download,my friends computer still freezes up,and i cannot
> find out why.
> I'm pressuming its ither a programme or driver problem,maybe a Diagnostic
> tool will root out the problem,or else i will have to Format the harddrive
> and start again which i dont want to do really.
>
> Windows XP HE,3.06 P4,IG OF RAM PC400,
>
> THANKYOU
> pel

°Mike°

There are specific diagnostic tools, but nothing
that can magically determine exactly what is
or isn't wrong with your system.

Continual freezing is most likely a sign of overheating,
corrupt drivers (most likely multimedia/network, but
not necessarily), bad RAM, or a hardware fault.
The place to start is to check for overheating and
bad RAM.

Clean out the inside of your box with a can of
compressed aire, especially around the fans and
vents. Ascertain that the fans are working correctly,
and replace if necessary.

Check your RAM with one or both of these:

WinDiag
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

DocMemory
http://www.docmemory.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:02:26 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
pel scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Plato

pel wrote:

> Please can someone tell me if there is a free download DIAGNOSTIC TOOL on
> the net i can download,my friends computer still freezes up,and i cannot
> find out why.

No. There is no magic tool.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/