Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > SpyBot Problem

SpyBot Problem

°Mike°

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:40:09 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Julie P. scrawled:

<snip>

>how do you know it's the system, and not SpyBot?

How do I know that my left hand is different from
my right? Because I do. I ain't going to go into
the mechanics of it; you're having enough trouble
grasping that it's NOT SpyBot, or any of the other
recommended software that's slowing down your
system.

<snip>

>What is BHO?

Browser Helper Object. In SpyBot S&D it's a small
DLL (Dynamic Link Library) called SDHelper.dll, that's
only 728 kb, and hooks into Internet Explorer to
block bad downloads.

<snip>

>But it does run in the backround accoridng to WinPatrol.

No, it doesn't! What WinPatrol is telling you is that
TweakUI runs at startup, but as I have told you, it
runs and then unloads itself -- it only needs to set
the tweaks, and then quits.

<snip>

>Because on my old computer, it takes up too much
>memory (it's a Pentium I), and slows down my browsing
>experience.

No, it doesn't. As I said, it's only 188kb, with an OVERALL
memory footprint of 3MB.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Boomer

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
>> Spybot does NOT need to be running, and the resident
>> BHO is ONLY active within Internet Explorer.
>>

> What is BHO?

[snip]

You'll like these:
http://www.acronymfinder.com/
http://www.acronymsearch.com/

Julie P.

news:40d4b561$0$197$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net...
> "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> [snip]
> >> Spybot does NOT need to be running, and the resident
> >> BHO is ONLY active within Internet Explorer.
> >>

> > What is BHO?

> [snip]
>
> You'll like these:
> http://www.acronymfinder.com/
> http://www.acronymsearch.com/

absolutely fabulous!!!

I didn't think it would have these, but I just used
http://www.acronymfinder.com/
to look up "FF" and "FR". I googled these yesterday, and had no luck. No I
know what they mean!

Julie P.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:40:09 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Julie P. scrawled:
>

> >What is BHO?

> Browser Helper Object. In SpyBot S&D it's a small
> DLL (Dynamic Link Library) called SDHelper.dll, that's
> only 728 kb, and hooks into Internet Explorer to
> block bad downloads.

ok, good to know this. I was wondering why I couldn't find SBS&D running in
the background.

> <snip>
>
> >But it does run in the backround accoridng to WinPatrol.

> No, it doesn't! What WinPatrol is telling you is that
> TweakUI runs at startup, but as I have told you, it
> runs and then unloads itself -- it only needs to set
> the tweaks, and then quits.

ok, for some reason I had thought start-up processes were identical to
background processes.

> <snip>
>
> >Because on my old computer, it takes up too much
> >memory (it's a Pentium I), and slows down my browsing
> >experience.

> No, it doesn't. As I said, it's only 188kb, with an OVERALL
> memory footprint of 3MB.

ok, but then I need to find out why my Pentium I running 98SE has slowed
down all of a suddenly after I added all this spyware fixing software and
startup monitoring software.

Boomer

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40d4b561$0$197$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net...
>> "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> [snip]
>> >>

>> > What is BHO?

>> [snip]
>>
>> You'll like these:
>> http://www.acronymfinder.com/
>> http://www.acronymsearch.com/

> absolutely fabulous!!!
>
> I didn't think it would have these, but I just used
> http://www.acronymfinder.com/
> to look up "FF" and "FR". I googled these yesterday, and had no
> luck. No I know what they mean!

Here's a few more.

http://www.kplay.cc/reference.html
http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techs...r_acronyms.htm

°Mike°

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:16:04 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Julie P. scrawled:

<snip>

>ok, for some reason I had thought start-up processes
>were identical to background processes.

A startup process becomes a background process,
only if it stays resident; if it quits, it quits, just
like an application is no longer a background process
if you exit it.

<snip>

>ok, but then I need to find out why my Pentium I running 98SE
>has slowed down all of a suddenly after I added all this spyware
>fixing software and startup monitoring software.

Pure coincidence. Start with my signature.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Julie P.

news:40d4bd6b$0$197$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net...
> "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:40d4b561$0$197$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net...

> >> [snip]

> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> You'll like these:
> >> http://www.acronymfinder.com/
> >> http://www.acronymsearch.com/

> > absolutely fabulous!!!
> >
> > I didn't think it would have these, but I just used
> > http://www.acronymfinder.com/
> > to look up "FF" and "FR". I googled these yesterday, and had no
> > luck. No I know what they mean!

> Here's a few more.
>
> http://www.kplay.cc/reference.html
> http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/
> http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm
> http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techs...r_acronyms.htm

Thanks! Now what would be ideal is if they would offer a toolbar.
Unfortunately, the problem with toolbars is that they take up too much space
in general. I just use the google toolbar, but ideally would like to have
all of the following:

m-w.com toolbar
eBay toolbar
SnipURL toolbar (or is it tinyurl?)

Julie P.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:16:04 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Julie P. scrawled:

[snip]

> >ok, but then I need to find out why my Pentium I running 98SE
> >has slowed down all of a suddenly after I added all this spyware
> >fixing software and startup monitoring software.

> Pure coincidence. Start with my signature.

I have taken a look at it a number of times now. I was surprised to learn
that MY Documents is actually a special folder. That is where I have all of
my pics stored, so I think I will remove those from there. Also, I will
check out the registry cleaners. Maybe they will be easier to use than the
trial version of CleanMyPC!

Julie P.

"Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:44:16 -0400, Julie P. wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have SpyBot 1.3 set to block illegal downloads to my computer, and
> > alert me when doing so.
> >
> > Here is the problem:
> >
> > When I have multiple IE6 windows open, and I go to a page, such as eBay,
> > which has this spyware, SpyBot transfers me (shifts the focus) to the

very
> > first (or most recent?) IE6 window I had open which had this spyware

blocked
> > previously, even though this window has nothing to do with my current
> > browsing. I get dialog boxes alerting me that the download has been

blocked,
> > for example: "SpyBot S&D has blocked the download of 'Double Click'!". I
> > have to click "ok", then find the IE window I was just at by looking at

the
> > bottom explorer bar. Very annoying, since I often have lots of windows

open.

> > I could simply choose the option where SpyBot blocks downloads in the
> > background, passively, instead of the one where I get notified. But I

want
> > to learn which websites in the course of my browsing are using such

spyware.
> > Why does SpyBot do this, and how can I stop it?
> >
> > Thanks for any help!

Thanks Parko. Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now. Replies are
below.

> a) Use a decent web browser. Mozilla, Firefox, Opera. The're less
> susceptible to spyware etcetera. Tabbed web browsers are tops.

Yes, I have strongly considered this. The problem is I sell on eBay, and I
try to use the same browser as most of the buyers out there do, simply
because I have to make sure my listings look good on the browser they would
use.

> b) SpyBot is doing its job and you should be thankful.
> c) Block install on demand amd ActiivX controls if you must use IE.

Right, right now I have my browser ask me permission first.

> d) Stop visiting dubious (morally and legally) websites.
> e) Get a recent hardware firewall as in a router, and back it up with a
> software firewall like Zone Alarm.

Yes, I do have the router. I will try a (hopefully free) software firewall
too, keeping my fingers crossed that this doe snot cause connectivity
problems.

> f) Try Googling for "Double Click", "spyware", "adware", "malware",
> "trojans" (and I don't mean that movie either). You wil be
> surprised.
> g) Download this and execute the file to block unwanted advertising.
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

ok, this is good. I just hope it doesn't block legitimate pages from those
spyware servers.