Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > burning DVD's

burning DVD's

J. Wilson

Do you have to have ( DVD X Copy) in order to burn a DVD? I was told that I
did. When I went to buy it I was told that it had been banned. Now what do I
do?

Paul - xxx

J. Wilson posted:
> Do you have to have ( DVD X Copy) in order to burn a DVD?

No. Any DVD burning application will do ..

> I was told that
> I did. When I went to buy it I was told that it had been banned.

It hasn't.

> Now what
> do I do?

Depends on what sort of DVD's you want to rip off, I mean burn. I guess if
you want to copy copyrighted DVD's then a search of the internet will reveal
quite a few apps that can do this, it just takes time to sort out what
works, and what doesn't ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
17 Jun 2004 20:53:06 +0100, "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)>
screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

>J. Wilson posted:
>> Do you have to have ( DVD X Copy) in order to burn a DVD?

>No. Any DVD burning application will do ..

Write protected DVDs can't be copied by common burning programs like
Nero.

>> I was told that
>> I did. When I went to buy it I was told that it had been banned.

>It hasn't.

Yes, it was, at least in the USA. The RIAA (Recording Industry
Association of America) successfully took DVD Xcopy to court under
the Digital Millenium act and had the software yanked off of the
shelves. DVD Xcopy then put out a new version of its software that is
no longer able to RIP copies of write protected DVDs.

>> Now what
>> do I do?

>Depends on what sort of DVD's you want to rip off, I mean burn. I guess if
>you want to copy copyrighted DVD's then a search of the internet will reveal
>quite a few apps that can do this, it just takes time to sort out what
>works, and what doesn't ..

There are versions of DVD rippers out there that will work around the
anti-piracy protection of DVDs. Most that I found were a little more
complicated to use than Xcopy. However, if you are not a complete
idiot, you should be able to use it to make back ups of your movies.

Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor
---

Brantard explains his employment as a migrant farm worker before his permanent residency as a vagrant/wandering-nutjob/welfare-recipient in the Minneapolis/ St. Paul area:

> >Indeed. I AOLways thought Nelly(ie, Brantard) was lavender.

Mexican

> Maybe a pastel pink?
>
> >>You dumb smuck!

> >A misspelled P/K/B. How Nelly-ish!

Nelly is Mexican.

In message ID:<(E-Mail Removed)8.minneapolis1.mn.us.da.qwest.net>

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Brandon Hex"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You have a bald head and are black black black. You wish you were white like
> me but your not.
>
> ha haw

Who ever said Brandon Hex was white?

In message ID:<(E-Mail Removed)8.minneapolis1.mn.us.da.qwest.net>

Paul - xxx

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor posted:
> I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
> 17 Jun 2004 20:53:06 +0100, "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:
>
>> J. Wilson posted:
>>> Do you have to have ( DVD X Copy) in order to burn a DVD?

>> No. Any DVD burning application will do ..

> Write protected DVDs can't be copied by common burning programs like
> Nero.

I know ... but the OP wasn't too specific ..

>>> I was told that
>>> I did. When I went to buy it I was told that it had been banned.

>> It hasn't.

> Yes, it was, at least in the USA. The RIAA (Recording Industry
> Association of America) successfully took DVD Xcopy to court under
> the Digital Millenium act and had the software yanked off of the
> shelves. DVD Xcopy then put out a new version of its software that is
> no longer able to RIP copies of write protected DVDs.

DVD Xcopy wasn't banned, just the portion of it that _could_ overcome the
protection.

>>> Now what
>>> do I do?

>> Depends on what sort of DVD's you want to rip off, I mean burn. I guess
>> if you want to copy copyrighted DVD's then a search of the internet will
>> reveal quite a few apps that can do this, it just takes time to sort out
>> what works, and what doesn't ..

> There are versions of DVD rippers out there that will work around the
> anti-piracy protection of DVDs. Most that I found were a little more
> complicated to use than Xcopy. However, if you are not a complete
> idiot, you should be able to use it to make back ups of your movies.

Ho yuss .. generally just copying the film itself, rather than a complete
DVD copy, will do it .. with a little work ..

Thip

"J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have to have ( DVD X Copy) in order to burn a DVD? I was told that

> did. When I went to buy it I was told that it had been banned. Now what do

> do?

http://www.videohelp.com/

Kenny

DVD Shrink will rip and burn a DVD better than any of those copy programs
and it's free.
http://www.dvdshrink.org/
For the odd disc that Shrink won't rip use DVD Decrypter, again free.
http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Kenny

NoBody@this.invalid.home.net

On 17 Jun 2004 23:07:04 GMT, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DVD Shrink will rip and burn a DVD better than any of those copy programs
>and it's free.
>http://www.dvdshrink.org/
>For the odd disc that Shrink won't rip use DVD Decrypter, again free.
>http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
>
>Kenny

And if neither of the above work what next?
Lord of the Rings first DVD the second Twin Towers no problem.