Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Repairing Windows

Repairing Windows

mark mandel

"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
> I have Windows XP Home Edition.
> Every now and then I get a systems crash.
> When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
> missing or corrupt
> To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
> Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
> I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
> anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen in
> the first place.
> Any infomation,I would be grateful
> Many thanks

If you know the exact name of the file which is located in Windows\System32,
you could then extract it(or "expand" in WinXP)from the CD to your hard
drive. Otherwise you'd need to do a "repair/install."(which means don't
type in "r" to access the Recovery Console, instead hit "enter" and follow
the directions which will lead to pressing "R" again to do this procedure).

Dominic

Ray wrote:
> Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
> I have Windows XP Home Edition.
> Every now and then I get a systems crash.
> When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file
> is missing or corrupt
> To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
> Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
> I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
> anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to
> happen in the first place.

Could you fix your clock please. Right time, right day, right month, wrong
year.

Dominic

Boomer

"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
> I have Windows XP Home Edition.
> Every now and then I get a systems crash.
> When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a
> file is missing or corrupt
> To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
> Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
> I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to
> work. Can anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is
> causing this to happen in the first place.
> Any infomation,I would be grateful
> Many thanks

June 17, 2005! You're a year ahead of us all.
Please fix. Thanks.

Ron Martell

"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
>I have Windows XP Home Edition.
>Every now and then I get a systems crash.
>When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
>missing or corrupt
>To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
>Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
>I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
>anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen in
>the first place.
>Any infomation,I would be grateful
>Many thanks

That usually indicates a corrupt or missing registry file. The error
message should also include the name of the file, which is helpful.

In order to fix this problem you need to have a Windows XP
Installation CD. The "System Recovery Disk" provided with many name
brand computers usually does not have the needed functionalilty to do
this.

1. Go into the BIOS setup of your configure and locate the section
which controls the drive sequece for booting up the computer. This
should read :"A:, CDROM, C:" or "CDROM, A:, C:" in order to allow you
to use repair and diagnostic tools on 3.5 inch diskettes or CDROM
disks.

2. After ensuring the boot drive sequence is okay insert the Windows
XP Installation CD into the drive and boot the computer. It should
boot from the CD and give you a menu that includes the "Repair
(Recovery Console)" option which is the one that you should choose.
And if you do not see that option then you need to cancel out and use
the diskette option described below.

3. When the computer boots from the CD to the Recovery Console it
will (eventually) stop at the C:\> prompt. At that point you enter
the following command. Type it exactly as shown, including the blank
spaces and press the enter key after typing the last character..

CHKDSK /R

If your Windows XP CD does not give you the Repair (Recovery Console)
option when you boot from it then you need to download the 6 diskette
set of boot disks from Microsoft

Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 310994
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994

Use these diskettes to boot the computer, starting with #1 and
inserting the others when asked to do so. When the process is
complete it will stop at the A:\> prompt and you can then use the
CHKDSK /R command as described above.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Andy

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
> >I have Windows XP Home Edition.
> >Every now and then I get a systems crash.
> >When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
> >missing or corrupt
> >To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
> >Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
> >I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
> >anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen

in
> >the first place.
> >Any infomation,I would be grateful
> >Many thanks
> >

> That usually indicates a corrupt or missing registry file. The error
> message should also include the name of the file, which is helpful.
>
> In order to fix this problem you need to have a Windows XP
> Installation CD. The "System Recovery Disk" provided with many name
> brand computers usually does not have the needed functionalilty to do
> this.
>
> 1. Go into the BIOS setup of your configure and locate the section
> which controls the drive sequece for booting up the computer. This
> should read :"A:, CDROM, C:" or "CDROM, A:, C:" in order to allow you
> to use repair and diagnostic tools on 3.5 inch diskettes or CDROM
> disks.
>
> 2. After ensuring the boot drive sequence is okay insert the Windows
> XP Installation CD into the drive and boot the computer. It should
> boot from the CD and give you a menu that includes the "Repair
> (Recovery Console)" option which is the one that you should choose.
> And if you do not see that option then you need to cancel out and use
> the diskette option described below.
>
> 3. When the computer boots from the CD to the Recovery Console it
> will (eventually) stop at the C:\> prompt. At that point you enter
> the following command. Type it exactly as shown, including the blank
> spaces and press the enter key after typing the last character..
>
> CHKDSK /R
>

> If your Windows XP CD does not give you the Repair (Recovery Console)
> option when you boot from it then you need to download the 6 diskette
> set of boot disks from Microsoft
>
> Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 310994
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994
>
> Use these diskettes to boot the computer, starting with #1 and
> inserting the others when asked to do so. When the process is
> complete it will stop at the A:\> prompt and you can then use the
> CHKDSK /R command as described above.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

This repair will delete viruses ?

Gary G. Taylor

Andy wrote:

> [...]

>> CHKDSK /R
>>

>> If your Windows XP CD does not give you the Repair (Recovery Console)
>> option when you boot from it then you need to download the 6 diskette
>> set of boot disks from Microsoft
>>
>> Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
>> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 310994
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994
>>
>> Use these diskettes to boot the computer, starting with #1 and
>> inserting the others when asked to do so. When the process is
>> complete it will stop at the A:\> prompt and you can then use the
>> CHKDSK /R command as described above.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

No.
The next step is Start > Windows Update. Download and install ALL "critical
updates." Then download and install antivirus and firewall applications as
suggested by others in other messages in this newsgroup.

If you are on a dialup connection and you have never installed updates, it
is a daunting task--several hours of downloading. But you MUST do this as
one essential step in protecting yourself from further problems.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

john wall

Ray wrote:
> Hi I may have wrong group,so please dont flame me.
> I have Windows XP Home Edition.
> Every now and then I get a systems crash.
> When I reboot I get a message saying \Windows\Windows\Sytem32 a file is
> missing or corrupt
> To try and repair Windows Reboot with original CD ROM.
> Using the 'r' button to start repair etc.
> I have been into the help for commands,but nothing seems to work. Can
> anybody tell rhe best wat to do this and what is causing this to happen in
> the first place.
> Any infomation,I would be grateful
> Many thanks

fix your time on your newsreader program........it's 2004, not 2005

~S~

Any of you mofo's ever even tried SFC (system file checker) ???

It is a windows feature, start/run/ type in 'sfc' then press enter.

It restores all xp system files as needed.

Stop wasting his time with lamer crap that takes 16 x as long to get
nowhere.

"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4VqAc.74111$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> [...]

> >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >>
> >> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

> > This repair will delete viruses ?

> No.
> The next step is Start > Windows Update. Download and install ALL

"critical
> updates." Then download and install antivirus and firewall applications as
> suggested by others in other messages in this newsgroup.
>
> If you are on a dialup connection and you have never installed updates, it
> is a daunting task--several hours of downloading. But you MUST do this as
> one essential step in protecting yourself from further problems.
> --
> Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
> gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
> "The two most abundant things in the universe
> are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

Barney

Start>>Run>>sfc /scannow
is the proper entry for XP
"~S~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GYZAc.124126$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Any of you mofo's ever even tried SFC (system file checker) ???
>
> It is a windows feature, start/run/ type in 'sfc' then press enter.
>
> It restores all xp system files as needed.
>
> Stop wasting his time with lamer crap that takes 16 x as long to get
> nowhere.
>

> "Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4VqAc.74111$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Andy wrote:
> >

> > > "Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> is

Can

> happen
> > > in

> > > This repair will delete viruses ?

> > No.
> > The next step is Start > Windows Update. Download and install ALL

> "critical
> > updates." Then download and install antivirus and firewall applications

as
> > suggested by others in other messages in this newsgroup.
> >
> > If you are on a dialup connection and you have never installed updates,

it
> > is a daunting task--several hours of downloading. But you MUST do this

as
> > one essential step in protecting yourself from further problems.
> > --
> > Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
> > gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
> > "The two most abundant things in the universe
> > are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

~S~

good on you