Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > VPN Advice

VPN Advice

Rachel

I would appreciate any advice on the following.

If I had 10 PC's located at two office locations using a client/server
network, and at each of the two offices the existing network works at
10MB/s, using CAT 5, however the offices are not connected to each other,
could I use a VPN to connect all of the offices together, and should I keep
the existing network, however would there be a bandwidth issue as at each of
the offices at present the network works 10MB/s?

The VPN would be used to share data between the offices, and for users to
access data and software applications from home.

I hope the above makes sense, and any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rachel

Duane Arnold

"Rachel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cas81b$h4n$(E-Mail Removed):

> I would appreciate any advice on the following.
>

> If I had 10 PC's located at two office locations using a client/server
> network, and at each of the two offices the existing network works at
> 10MB/s, using CAT 5, however the offices are not connected to each
> other, could I use a VPN to connect all of the offices together

Yes, you can do that. You can use machine to machine O/S to O/S, hardware
appliances such as router to router, or software to software VPN
connections.

, and
> should I keep the existing network, however would there be a bandwidth
> issue as at each of the offices at present the network works 10MB/s?

It may be best to step 100 MB/s. But on a LAN at 10MB/s you may not see
that much of a speed difference with VPN encryption enabled.

> The VPN would be used to share data between the offices, and for users
> to access data and software applications from home.

> I hope the above makes sense, and any advice would be appreciated.

I think one of your solutions could be a WatchGuard Firebox III 6tc with
its Mobile VPN solution allowing your home office users to connect from
home and allowing the VPN between two offices, possibly.

You may need to post at comp.security.firewalls to get a better answer
than I can provide.

HTH

Duane