Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > sorting text files in Windowx XP.

sorting text files in Windowx XP.

Patrick D. Rockwell

Is there a program or way to sort text files in Windows XP? I tried the sort
command in Dos, but Windows XP's Dos box doesn't seem to have it.

--
-------------------------------
Patrick D. Rockwell

Martik

"Patrick D. Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Hh2Ac.260$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Is there a program or way to sort text files in Windows XP? I tried the
> sort
> command in Dos, but Windows XP's Dos box doesn't seem to have it.

Should be there, it's part of XP in c:\windows\system32\sort.exe

Patrick D. Rockwell

Thanks.

--
-------------------------------
Patrick D. Rockwell
"Martik" <martik@_nospam_telus.net> wrote in message

> "Patrick D. Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Hh2Ac.260$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Is there a program or way to sort text files in Windows XP? I tried the
> > sort
> > command in Dos, but Windows XP's Dos box doesn't seem to have it.

> Should be there, it's part of XP in c:\windows\system32\sort.exe

Harry Tuttle

"Martik" <martik@_nospam_telus.net> wrote in message news:F87Ac.47891$eA.15264@clgrps13...

> "Patrick D. Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Hh2Ac.260$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Is there a program or way to sort text files in Windows XP? I tried the
> > sort
> > command in Dos, but Windows XP's Dos box doesn't seem to have it.

> Should be there, it's part of XP in c:\windows\system32\sort.exe

It's there, just go to a dos box and type sort /? and it gives you
the list of options. The one thing I don't like is that the sort
command can't handle foreign characters (, , etc.) so the sorted
list contains different characters. This makes it impossible for
me to generate lists of things like my Spanish mp3s which use
accented characters. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Aquila Deus

"Harry Tuttle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Martik" <martik@_nospam_telus.net> wrote in message news:F87Ac.47891$eA.15264@clgrps13...
> >
> > "Patrick D. Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Hh2Ac.260$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > > Is there a program or way to sort text files in Windows XP? I tried the
> > > sort
> > > command in Dos, but Windows XP's Dos box doesn't seem to have it.

> > Should be there, it's part of XP in c:\windows\system32\sort.exe

> It's there, just go to a dos box and type sort /? and it gives you
> the list of options. The one thing I don't like is that the sort
> command can't handle foreign characters (, , etc.) so the sorted
> list contains different characters. This makes it impossible for
> me to generate lists of things like my Spanish mp3s which use
> accented characters. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Don't expect any unix/dos **** can deal with that. You may have to use
simple script languages such as python.