Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Pro restarts constantly!!!???

XP Pro restarts constantly!!!???

Anthropy

Hi
My PC is an AMD 2.6g, Gygabyte Triniton motherboard, 500Mb DDR 400.
It's all new and was working fine for a while but recently the PC
began restarting itself. I don't know if it's do with the hardware or
XP Pro. I heard their was a recent virus which caused PC's to
restart.
Any information or help much appreciated.
Thanks.

The Prophecy

Windows Critical Security Patches:

KB828741:

Windows XP:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...41-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows 2000:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...41-x86-ENU.EXE

KB840374:

Windows XP:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...74-x86-ENU.EXE

Virus Removal Tools:

Blaster: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FixBlast.exe

Welchia: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixWelch.exe

Netsky: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FxNetsky.exe

Sasser: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FxSasser.exe

Anthropy wrote:
> Hi
> My PC is an AMD 2.6g, Gygabyte Triniton motherboard, 500Mb DDR 400.
> It's all new and was working fine for a while but recently the PC
> began restarting itself. I don't know if it's do with the hardware or
> XP Pro. I heard their was a recent virus which caused PC's to
> restart.
> Any information or help much appreciated.
> Thanks.

reid decker

Does it mention NT Authority and shut your machine down after about 45
seconds? If so Microsoft has a free patch and will send you a disk to cure
it. It's a real bitch to get rid of.
"Anthropy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> My PC is an AMD 2.6g, Gygabyte Triniton motherboard, 500Mb DDR 400.
> It's all new and was working fine for a while but recently the PC
> began restarting itself. I don't know if it's do with the hardware or
> XP Pro. I heard their was a recent virus which caused PC's to
> restart.
> Any information or help much appreciated.
> Thanks.

The Prophecy

reid decker wrote:
> Does it mention NT Authority and shut your machine down after
> about 45 seconds? If so Microsoft has a free patch and will send you
> a disk to cure it. It's a real bitch to get rid of.

Actually it's really easy to get rid of. All you have to do is use the
patches and removal tools provided in my first post.

> "Anthropy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> My PC is an AMD 2.6g, Gygabyte Triniton motherboard, 500Mb DDR 400.
>> It's all new and was working fine for a while but recently the PC
>> began restarting itself. I don't know if it's do with the hardware or
>> XP Pro. I heard their was a recent virus which caused PC's to
>> restart.
>> Any information or help much appreciated.
>> Thanks.

Anthropy

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:34:25 GMT, "The Prophecy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>reid decker wrote:
>> Does it mention NT Authority and shut your machine down after
>> about 45 seconds? If so Microsoft has a free patch and will send you
>> a disk to cure it. It's a real bitch to get rid of.

>Actually it's really easy to get rid of. All you have to do is use the
>patches and removal tools provided in my first post.
>
>> "Anthropy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> My PC is an AMD 2.6g, Gygabyte Triniton motherboard, 500Mb DDR 400.
>>> It's all new and was working fine for a while but recently the PC
>>> began restarting itself. I don't know if it's do with the hardware or
>>> XP Pro. I heard their was a recent virus which caused PC's to
>>> restart.
>>> Any information or help much appreciated.
>>> Thanks.

Hi. Thanks for the help.
"Prophecy", thanks for the links, I tried them all but the PC was
"clean", no viri. Well not those anyway. I also installed the critical
patches and the problem persisted. At one point the PC would not boot,
not normally, from a boot disk or go into safemode. I downloaded the
HD manufacturers utility prog (Fujitsu) and this at least enabled me
to format the HD. I've since re-installed XP pro and it has only
restarted itself once in the last few hours as compared to every 10
minutes. If the problem reappears it's a safe bet its the hardware as
I've been using this the same version of XP pro for a few months and
it was fine.
There's no mention of "NT Authority" or anything else. It's very
sudden with no warning at all.

One thing I should have mentioned earlier. This PC is not online nor
is it networked.

Thanks

KungFusion

Anthropy wrote:

> It's all new and was working fine for a while but recently the PC
> began restarting itself. I don't know if it's do with the hardware or
> XP Pro.

Does it give any message when it comes back up or just
boots normally? Have you tried looking in the system
logs for any event messages that might give a clue?

From your posts it sounds like hardware/memory to me.
If there's nothing in the system logs then you might
have to look for temperature related HW failures etc..

Maybe it's covered by warrantee?

--

"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
Woody Allen

Peter Van Dijk

You should check out he HP website and see if there has been any news in
regards to the Ram problem, there has been a global recall of certain
types. The symptoms sound the same.

Try replacing the ram in your system.

You could also slow the system down slightly, this would help your
stability problem. if the ram isn't the problem then definatley clock
back the system by about 300 to 400 mhz and see if that helps, if it
does then you need to check out if the settings for the motherboard,
cpu, pci bus, agp and system bus speeds are correct and not overclocked.

You could also adjust your ram timings in your system bios.