Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE6 Window Opens Really Small

Reply
Thread Tools

IE6 Window Opens Really Small

 
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
Hi, this is very annoying. When I open a new window in IE6, via right-click,
it opens very small, only one inch high! This does not happen when I use
"File" > "New" > "Window". I tried Mike's advice:

"Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fMYOa.7406$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Courtesy of °Mike°
>
> Open one instance of IE and then open a new window. Close the original
> window. In the address box of the new window type the following (where
> XXX,XXX is your screen resolution) and press ENTER
> (Example: 640,480 <- separated by a comma)
>
> javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(XXX,XXX)
>
> Hold the CTRL button and close the window (top right button).
>



But this does NOT work, even though I have tried repeatedly and restarted. I
think it might have been working one time, but then I took the original
browser window and entered:

javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)

then I clicked "enter" and closed it while holding "control".

From that point on, all my new right-click windows open very small no matter
what I try to do to fix this.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!



--


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:59:56 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Julie P. scrawled:

>Hi, this is very annoying. When I open a new window in IE6, via right-click,
>it opens very small, only one inch high! This does not happen when I use
>"File" > "New" > "Window". I tried Mike's advice:


<snip>

>But this does NOT work,


Yes, it does, assuming you followed the instructions
TO THE LETTER. Here are my ACTUAL words:

Close all instances of Internet Explorer except one. Open a new
window, and close the original. Type (case sensitive) the
following into the address bar (where XXX,XXX is your screen
resolution), and press ENTER:

javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(XXX,XXX)

When the new window re-sizes, hold the CTRL key and close the
window. New windows should now open at full size, with everything
visible.

Example, if your screen is set at 800 x 600:

javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)


> even though I have tried repeatedly and restarted. I think it might
>have been working one time, but then I took the original browser
>window and entered:
>
>javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)


There you go, you see, you DIDN'T follow the instructions
TO THE LETTER. Re-read MY instructions above, paying
particular attention to "Open a new window, AND CLOSE
THE ORIGINAL".

>then I clicked "enter" and closed it while holding "control".
>
>From that point on, all my new right-click windows open very small no matter
>what I try to do to fix this.
>
>Does anyone know how to fix this?


Yes, pay attention to instructions.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>
> There you go, you see, you DIDN'T follow the instructions
> TO THE LETTER. Re-read MY instructions above, paying
> particular attention to "Open a new window, AND CLOSE
> THE ORIGINAL".
>



Ok, I feel stupid! I had been forgetting all this time to close the original
window first. Duh. Yes, I just did it and restarted, and now all is fine!
Thank you. I have used this advice a lot over the past year (I have been
grateful that you posted it, as it is a common problem with IE), and I
thought I had it memorized, but I guess not. Well, at least it's fixed now!

J.


 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:34:54 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Julie P. scrawled:

>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>
>> There you go, you see, you DIDN'T follow the instructions
>> TO THE LETTER. Re-read MY instructions above, paying
>> particular attention to "Open a new window, AND CLOSE
>> THE ORIGINAL".
>>

>
>Ok, I feel stupid! I had been forgetting all this time to close the original
>window first. Duh. Yes, I just did it and restarted, and now all is fine!
>Thank you. I have used this advice a lot over the past year (I have been
>grateful that you posted it, as it is a common problem with IE), and I
>thought I had it memorized, but I guess not. Well, at least it's fixed now!


You have to work on that attention span. ;o)

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Linda
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
Put your claws away.

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:59:56 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Julie P. scrawled:
>
> >Hi, this is very annoying. When I open a new window in IE6, via

right-click,
> >it opens very small, only one inch high! This does not happen when I use
> >"File" > "New" > "Window". I tried Mike's advice:

>
> <snip>
>
> >But this does NOT work,

>
> Yes, it does, assuming you followed the instructions
> TO THE LETTER. Here are my ACTUAL words:
>
> Close all instances of Internet Explorer except one. Open a new
> window, and close the original. Type (case sensitive) the
> following into the address bar (where XXX,XXX is your screen
> resolution), and press ENTER:
>
> javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(XXX,XXX)
>
> When the new window re-sizes, hold the CTRL key and close the
> window. New windows should now open at full size, with everything
> visible.
>
> Example, if your screen is set at 800 x 600:
>
> javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)
>
>
> > even though I have tried repeatedly and restarted. I think it might
> >have been working one time, but then I took the original browser
> >window and entered:
> >
> >javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)

>
> There you go, you see, you DIDN'T follow the instructions
> TO THE LETTER. Re-read MY instructions above, paying
> particular attention to "Open a new window, AND CLOSE
> THE ORIGINAL".
>
> >then I clicked "enter" and closed it while holding "control".
> >
> >From that point on, all my new right-click windows open very small no

matter
> >what I try to do to fix this.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to fix this?

>
> Yes, pay attention to instructions.
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
Boomer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
"Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Put your claws away.
>
> "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> Julie P. scrawled:

[snip]
>> >
>> >Does anyone know how to fix this?

>>
>> Yes, pay attention to instructions.

[snip]

What claws?

Do you know how to snip BTW?

 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
Not out, deary.


On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 02:57:33 GMT, in
<xGOzc.29734$(E-Mail Removed)>
Linda scrawled:

>Put your claws away.


<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
JD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
I know why it didn't work for her. It didn't work for me at first either.
The "Open a new window, and close the original" instruction must be done by
right clicking on a link and "Open link in new window". If you open a new
window by any other method it will not work. It won't resize your window to
"full screen" mode but better than before.

Sucks how MS made IE so difficult to use. If only they borrowed some ideas
from Netscape they would have everyone converted (ie. bookmarking system,
open link in new window, etc.)




"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:59:56 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Julie P. scrawled:
>
> >Hi, this is very annoying. When I open a new window in IE6, via

right-click,
> >it opens very small, only one inch high! This does not happen when I use
> >"File" > "New" > "Window". I tried Mike's advice:

>
> <snip>
>
> >But this does NOT work,

>
> Yes, it does, assuming you followed the instructions
> TO THE LETTER. Here are my ACTUAL words:
>
> Close all instances of Internet Explorer except one. Open a new
> window, and close the original. Type (case sensitive) the
> following into the address bar (where XXX,XXX is your screen
> resolution), and press ENTER:
>
> javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(XXX,XXX)
>
> When the new window re-sizes, hold the CTRL key and close the
> window. New windows should now open at full size, with everything
> visible.
>
> Example, if your screen is set at 800 x 600:
>
> javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)
>
>
> > even though I have tried repeatedly and restarted. I think it might
> >have been working one time, but then I took the original browser
> >window and entered:
> >
> >javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)

>
> There you go, you see, you DIDN'T follow the instructions
> TO THE LETTER. Re-read MY instructions above, paying
> particular attention to "Open a new window, AND CLOSE
> THE ORIGINAL".
>
> >then I clicked "enter" and closed it while holding "control".
> >
> >From that point on, all my new right-click windows open very small no

matter
> >what I try to do to fix this.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to fix this?

>
> Yes, pay attention to instructions.
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2004
No, it didn't work for her because she used the original
window. Read the whole thread.


On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:38:29 GMT, in
<FVRzc.60$(E-Mail Removed) .com>
JD scrawled:

>I know why it didn't work for her. It didn't work for me at first either.
>The "Open a new window, and close the original" instruction must be done by
>right clicking on a link and "Open link in new window". If you open a new
>window by any other method it will not work. It won't resize your window to
>"full screen" mode but better than before.
>
>Sucks how MS made IE so difficult to use. If only they borrowed some ideas
>from Netscape they would have everyone converted (ie. bookmarking system,
>open link in new window, etc.)
>


<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
ToroGuns ToroGuns is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1
 
      06-04-2007
Here are my ACTUAL words:

Close all instances of Internet Explorer except one. Open a new
window, and close the original. Type (case sensitive) the
following into the address bar (where XXX,XXX is your screen
resolution), and press ENTER:

javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(XXX,XXX)

When the new window re-sizes, hold the CTRL key and close the
window. New windows should now open at full size, with everything
visible.

Example, if your screen is set at 800 x 600:

javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)

...................

Although this is 3 years later, and I hope you're still around Mike, I would like to thank you for this simple yet elegant fix. Found this via a Google search.

Worked like a charm!

Thanks again, a Yank newbie
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<a target="_blank" /> opens half-size IE6 window John A Grandy ASP .Net 5 05-08-2006 05:39 AM
Window.Close Opens New Annoying Window Vijay Kerji ASP .Net 2 12-01-2004 07:58 AM
New window in IE opens really small Chris Stanley Computer Support 4 04-03-2004 12:55 AM
really really mysterious IE6 problem--secure site ultraviolet353 Computer Support 7 11-22-2003 07:56 PM
Re: Second window opens blank in IE6 Brian H¹© Computer Support 2 07-12-2003 01:07 PM



Advertisments