Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Absent DLL file

Absent DLL file

When I boot up I get a dialog box with the Yellow error exclamation point.
At the top of the box it says, "Error 388". In the box it says, "A valid
dll file was not found."
It does not name the file so how do I find out which one it was?
And then, having found the file, how do I replace it?
The absence of the dll file does not seem to affect anything.

DC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When I boot up I get a dialog box with the Yellow error exclamation point.
> At the top of the box it says, "Error 388". In the box it says, "A valid
> dll file was not found."
> It does not name the file so how do I find out which one it was?
> [...]

....and they say Windows is more user friendly. };O)

> And then, having found the file, how do I replace it?
> The absence of the dll file does not seem to affect anything.

I would start looking at which apps launch at startup. See if any of
them are behaving strangely/not starting at boot as they once did.

GL.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Free your mind, and your OS will follow...

Probably from an app you uninstalled, that didnt uninstall correctly

"reid decker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CMjzc.8134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have System Restore, use it to go back to before the
> problem. The file might be important.
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ALizc.85603$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > When I boot up I get a dialog box with the Yellow error exclamation

point.
> > At the top of the box it says, "Error 388". In the box it says, "A

valid
> > dll file was not found."
> > It does not name the file so how do I find out which one it was?
> > And then, having found the file, how do I replace it?
> > The absence of the dll file does not seem to affect anything.

reid decker

If you have System Restore, use it to go back to before the
problem. The file might be important.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ALizc.85603$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> When I boot up I get a dialog box with the Yellow error exclamation point.
> At the top of the box it says, "Error 388". In the box it says, "A valid
> dll file was not found."
> It does not name the file so how do I find out which one it was?
> And then, having found the file, how do I replace it?
> The absence of the dll file does not seem to affect anything.

About System Restore. My System Restore will get about half way through
restoring and then tell me it cannot complete the restore.
This would seem to be just another glitch except that awhile back I
reinstalled the whole system and when I next tried to use System Restore
it still would not work.

Does anyone know what Error 388 means?

"D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:J2lzc.1263$0l3.91@newsfe4-gui...
> Probably from an app you uninstalled, that didnt uninstall correctly
>
> "reid decker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:CMjzc.8134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If you have System Restore, use it to go back to before the
> > problem. The file might be important.
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ALizc.85603$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > > When I boot up I get a dialog box with the Yellow error exclamation

> point.
> > > At the top of the box it says, "Error 388". In the box it says, "A

> valid
> > > dll file was not found."
> > > It does not name the file so how do I find out which one it was?
> > > And then, having found the file, how do I replace it?
> > > The absence of the dll file does not seem to affect anything.

Boomer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> About System Restore. My System Restore will get about half way
> through restoring and then tell me it cannot complete the
> restore. This would seem to be just another glitch except that
> awhile back I reinstalled the whole system and when I next tried
> to use System Restore
> it still would not work.
>
> Does anyone know what Error 388 means?

Doesn't it mean what you said it stated in the message box?

"A valid dll file was not found."

What have you installed or uninstalled to possibly cause this error?
What OS? http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Try searching Google Groups archives for error 388.
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

> "D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Probably from an app you uninstalled, that didnt uninstall
>> correctly
>>
>> "reid decker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:CMjzc.8134$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > If you have System Restore, use it to go back to
>> > before the
>> > problem. The file might be important.
>> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:ALizc.85603$(E-Mail Removed). com...

>> point.

>> valid

°Mike°

It sounds like you have a trojan infection.

W32/Loonybot.K
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2E621098

Win32.Loonybot.H
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/v....aspx?id=39219

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:38:24 GMT, in
<ALizc.85603$(E-Mail Removed) m>
<(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

>When I boot up I get a dialog box with the Yellow error exclamation point.
>At the top of the box it says, "Error 388". In the box it says, "A valid
>dll file was not found."
>It does not name the file so how do I find out which one it was?
>And then, having found the file, how do I replace it?
>The absence of the dll file does not seem to affect anything.

--
Basic computer maintenance

JJO

From Solarwinds.net

This error occurs if your IP Stack has been corrupted. In the past this has
been caused by security and/or router software like "Zone Alarm". Disable
this software.

Regards,

John O.

news:Kklzc.2225$(E-Mail Removed) ...