Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Norton Ghost and USB external drive.

Norton Ghost and USB external drive.

Alasdair Baxter

I purchased a USB 30Gb external drive and I intend to transfer the
total contents of my Documents drive to it. Using the advanced
"clone" feature of Ghost, I tried to copy everything across but as
soon as I press OK, the USB is disconnected (electronically) from my
machine so that I have to stop and restart the complete machine again
to bring the USB drive into recognition.

Please, somebody, what am I doing wrong and is there another way to
transfer the entire contents of my documents drive to the USB drive
either using Ghost or something else?

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

"It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

Boomer

Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I purchased a USB 30Gb external drive and I intend to transfer
> the total contents of my Documents drive to it. Using the
> advanced "clone" feature of Ghost, I tried to copy everything
> across but as soon as I press OK, the USB is disconnected
> (electronically) from my machine so that I have to stop and
> restart the complete machine again to bring the USB drive into
> recognition.
>
> Please, somebody, what am I doing wrong and is there another way
> to transfer the entire contents of my documents drive to the USB
> drive either using Ghost or something else?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.

Hi

Why not open Windows Explorer and just copy over the documents to the
'external' drive listed? Much like copying a document to a floppy.

Alasdair Baxter

On 13 Jun 2004 18:27:50 GMT, Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Why not open Windows Explorer and just copy over the documents to the
>'external' drive listed? Much like copying a document to a floppy.

Thanks for the tip. I wanted to use Ghost because there are 9Gb of
files to transfer and I thought Ghost would do a better job. I have
only used Ghost once before and I may not be using it correctly.

--

Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

"It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

Boomer

Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2004 18:27:50 GMT, Boomer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Why not open Windows Explorer and just copy over the documents
>>to the 'external' drive listed? Much like copying a document to
>>a floppy.

> Thanks for the tip. I wanted to use Ghost because there are 9Gb
> of files to transfer and I thought Ghost would do a better job.
> I have only used Ghost once before and I may not be using it
> correctly.

You're welcome.

Toolman Tim

Alasdair Baxter wrote:
>> I purchased a USB 30Gb external drive and I intend to transfer the
>> total contents of my Documents drive to it. Using the advanced
>> "clone" feature of Ghost, I tried to copy everything across but as
>> soon as I press OK, the USB is disconnected (electronically) from my
>> machine so that I have to stop and restart the complete machine again
>> to bring the USB drive into recognition.
>>
>> Please, somebody, what am I doing wrong and is there another way to
>> transfer the entire contents of my documents drive to the USB drive
>> either using Ghost or something else?
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115
>> 9423263
>>
>> "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
>> It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

Ghost may have a problem with many USB drives. Check their help online:
http://tinyurl.com/2u7nt

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Jimmy Dean

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:16:02 +0100, Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I purchased a USB 30Gb external drive and I intend to transfer the
>total contents of my Documents drive to it. Using the advanced
>"clone" feature of Ghost, I tried to copy everything across but as
>soon as I press OK, the USB is disconnected (electronically) from my
>machine so that I have to stop and restart the complete machine again
>to bring the USB drive into recognition.
>
>Please, somebody, what am I doing wrong and is there another way to
>transfer the entire contents of my documents drive to the USB drive
>either using Ghost or something else?
>
>Thanks in anticipation.

Ghost 2003 has its own special DOS drivers for USB drives so the clone
etc can be done in DOS

jd

Alasdair Baxter

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:31:42 +1000, Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ghost 2003 has its own special DOS drivers for USB drives so the clone
>etc can be done in DOS

Do please tell me how or please suggest a site where I can get the
details.
--

Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

"It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

Toolman Tim

"Alasdair Baxter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> | On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:31:42 +1000, Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | wrote:
> |
> | >Ghost 2003 has its own special DOS drivers for USB drives so the
> | >clone etc can be done in DOS
> |
> | Do please tell me how or please suggest a site where I can get the
> | details.

There are a three things you need to know first: if you have a USB 2.0
external drive, and USB 1.x ports on the computer, it won't work. If you are
on a laptop and your USB 2.0 ports are on a PCMCIA card, it won't work. If
you have both USB 1.x AND USB 2.0 ports in your computer, you will need to
totally disable the 1.x ports before Ghost will work (usually done in CMOS.)

Then, you just need to read the help files that came with the program. There
is no "step by step" detail page that I've found for Ghost on the web -
that's why they ship help files with the software.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

J Smith

On 13 Jun 2004 18:27:50 GMT, Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
The only way I've used USB is with Ghost version 2003.
You can boot with the Ghost 2003 CDROM which will recognize the USB
drive. It gives you the choice of using USB version 1.1 or 2.0 .
Even when using a USB 2.0 device and port it still has problems with
2.0 . (Symantec knows about this problem) Using version 1.1 (to boot
with) works every time with no problems. I haven't encountered a 2.0
device yet that wasn't backwards compatible with 1.1 drivers. Maybe
since I won't buy a device that isn't backwards compatible.
Give it a whirl, it's worked for me 100's of times; I have to take
image snapshots of installed PC's that have had various software
changes.

>Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I purchased a USB 30Gb external drive and I intend to transfer
>> the total contents of my Documents drive to it. Using the
>> advanced "clone" feature of Ghost, I tried to copy everything
>> across but as soon as I press OK, the USB is disconnected
>> (electronically) from my machine so that I have to stop and
>> restart the complete machine again to bring the USB drive into
>> recognition.
>>
>> Please, somebody, what am I doing wrong and is there another way
>> to transfer the entire contents of my documents drive to the USB
>> drive either using Ghost or something else?
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation.

>Hi
>
>Why not open Windows Explorer and just copy over the documents to the
>'external' drive listed? Much like copying a document to a floppy.

Boomer

Why are you telling me this?