Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mysterious Folders Have Appeared

Reply
Thread Tools

Mysterious Folders Have Appeared

 
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2004
Hi, in my Windows 98SE computer, I was looking through some of my Outlook
Express 6 identities folders in:

C > Windows > Application Data

and as I was double clicking through the following folders:

Identities > [long identity number here] > Microsoft > Outlook Express

I managed to click too much apparently, and 10-11 new files/folders suddenly
appeared in the "Application Data", along with the "identities" folder. They
do not belong here, I'm pretty sure:

1) Adobe folder > Acrobat > 6.0 > [etc.]
2) AdobeUM folder (empty)
3) Fujifilm folder > Gfnap2 > Settings folder, Temporary folder > [etc.]
4) Hummingbird folder > Connectivity folder > [etc.]

5) Microsoft folder > Address Book folder [has OE6 address book here],
Internet Explorer folder, Office folder, Media Player folder, Tune Up
folder, Welcome folder, Crypto folder, HTML Help folder. Installer folder
[may have other identities here??] > [etc.]

6) Mozilla folder > registry.dat, Profiles folder, Users50 folder > [etc.]

7) Spybot - Search & Destroy folder > Backup folder, Backups Folder,
Excluded folder, Logs folder, Recovery folder, configuration > [etc.]

Vividence folder > Vividence connector > [etc.]
9) dm
10) dw
11) uninstall


So I decided to move the above folders to my "C" > "Windows" folder instead.
Then I restarted. After I restarted, it said Windows could not locate my
active desktop file, and said click "ok" to turn off active desktop. So I
clicked of, and then I moved everything back to the "Application Data"
folder. I am not sure where the "uninstall" file I listed above came from.

So, I was wondering where should I put the above folders/files?
How did I manage to do this (what exactly did I do?) and how do I prevent
this again?

Thanks!




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shel-hed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2004
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:40:09 -0400, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>Hi, in my Windows 98SE computer, I was looking through some of my Outlook
>Express 6 identities folders in:
>
>C > Windows > Application Data

<snip mysterious moved folders story>
>So, I was wondering where should I put the above folders/files?
>How did I manage to do this (what exactly did I do?) and how do I prevent
>this again?


You probably accidentally clicked and dragged them.
Next time, click edit/undo (or undo move, whatever).
Buy a Windows for dummies book and work through it.
...,
Shel.
(Who knows that you won't buy the book, you'll just keep asking people like me.)
*Sniff*.

<Blam . . . Flump>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2004
Yes, they do. That's why it's called "Application Data".
Put them back where you found them.


On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:40:09 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Julie P. scrawled:

<snip>

>They do not belong here, I'm pretty sure:


<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
hummingbird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2004
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:40:09 -0400, "Julie P."
<(E-Mail Removed)>
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>1) Adobe folder > Acrobat > 6.0 > [etc.]
>2) AdobeUM folder (empty)
>3) Fujifilm folder > Gfnap2 > Settings folder, Temporary folder > [etc.]


>4) Hummingbird folder > Connectivity folder > [etc.]


That's the folder to keep your pictures of me in ;;--))
 
Reply With Quote
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2004
"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, they do. That's why it's called "Application Data".
> Put them back where you found them.
>


Ok, thanks. I did so. But how do you know they belong there, since there are
other Application Data folders also in my computer? Should I uninstall then
reinstall programs like Adobe (which was one of the folders) to make sure
they are in the right place?

Also, there is one uninstall log that I put in the Application Data folder
that might not have actually been there before, since I had all those other
folders in the Program Files folder before you told me to put them back, and
the uninstall log might have been accidentally brought back with them to the
Application Data folder. The uninstall log would have been right next to the
brought-back folders while I had them in the Program Files folder. Can you
tell me where it belongs? Here is what I found when I opened it:

[Header]
Signature=VISE
Version=0001
RemoveInUseFiles=0
RegistryKeyName=
Product Name=

[Directories2]
0=C:\Program Files
count=6
1=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp||1
2=C:\WINDOWS
3=C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu
4=C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs
5=C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\WS_FTP LE 5.08||1

[IniEntries]
0=WS_FTP,VERSION,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,2000.02.23
1=WS_FTP,DIR,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,C:\Program Files\WS_FTP
2=WS_FTP,DEFDIR,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,C:\Program Files\WS_FTP
3=WS_FTP,GROUP,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,WS_FTP
4=WS_FTP,INSTOPTS,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,4
5=WS_FTP,WS_FTP95,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,
6=WS_FTP,VERSION,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,2000.02.23
7=WS_FTP,VERSION,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,2000.02.23
8=WS_FTP,DIR,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,C:\Program Files\WS_FTP
9=WS_FTP,DEFDIR,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,C:\Program Files\WS_FTP
10=WS_FTP,GROUP,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,WS_FTP
11=WS_FTP,INSTOPTS,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,4
12=WS_FTP,WS_FTP95,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,
13=WS_FTP,VERSION,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,2000.02.23

[Files]
count=9
0=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\complete.wav
1=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\connect.wav
2=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\error.wav
3=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\whatsnew.txt
4=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WSFTP32.dll
5=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WS_FTP.hlp
6=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WS_FTP.ini
7=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WS_FTP95.exe
8=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WS_FTPnew.ini

[Shortcuts]
0=C:\WINDOWS\STARTM~1\PROGRAMS\WS_FTP~1.08\WS_FTP~ 1.LNK
1=C:\WINDOWS\STARTM~1\PROGRAMS\WS_FTP~1.08\WS_FTP~ 2.LNK

[Strings]
IDS_STRING1=Are you sure you want to completely remove the selected
application and all of its components?
IDS_STRING2=Confirm File Deletion
IDS_STRING3=The system indicates that the following shared file is no longer
used by any programs.
IDS_STRING4=Remove Shared File?
IDS_STRING5=Uninstall successfully completed.
IDS_STRING6=Uninstall
IDS_STRING7=If any programs are still using this file and it is removed,
those programs may not function. Are you sure you want to remove the shared
file?
IDS_STRING8=Uninstall was partially successful.
IDS_ADMINPRIVILEGESNEEDED=Administrative privileges are needed to uninstall
this software.
IDS_YES=&Yes
IDS_NO=&No
IDS_YESTOALL=Yes to &All
IDS_REMOVINGFILE=Removing File:


thanks!

J.

>
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:40:09 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Julie P. scrawled:
>
> <snip>
>
> >They do not belong here, I'm pretty sure:

>
> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2004
"hummingbird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:40:09 -0400, "Julie P."
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
>
> >1) Adobe folder > Acrobat > 6.0 > [etc.]
> >2) AdobeUM folder (empty)
> >3) Fujifilm folder > Gfnap2 > Settings folder, Temporary folder > [etc.]

>
> >4) Hummingbird folder > Connectivity folder > [etc.]

>
> That's the folder to keep your pictures of me in ;;--))


ha ha! funny.

J.


 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2004
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:17:19 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Julie P. scrawled:

>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, they do. That's why it's called "Application Data".
>> Put them back where you found them.
>>

>
>Ok, thanks. I did so. But how do you know they belong there,


Erm, how do I explain that? Because I do.

>since there are other Application Data folders also in my computer?


Again, why do you think it's called "Application Data"?

>Should I uninstall then reinstall programs like Adobe (which was one


You shouldn't have gone removing folders in the first place.
Don't mess with things that you don't understand.

>of the folders) to make sure they are in the right place?


That depends on what mess you have made of it. It
is an options that's worth considering.

>Also, there is one uninstall log that I put in the Application Data folder
>that might not have actually been there before, since I had all those other
>folders in the Program Files folder before you told me to put them back, and
>the uninstall log might have been accidentally brought back with them to the
>Application Data folder.


How could it have "accidentally" be brought back? What
on earth are you doing to your system?

>The uninstall log would have been right next to the brought-back
>folders while I had them in the Program Files folder. Can you
>tell me where it belongs? Here is what I found when I opened it:


<snip>

>[Directories2]
>0=C:\Program Files
>count=6
>1=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp||1


Uninstall WS_FTP and reinstall. If the uninstaller complains
that it can't find data, search your WS_FTP folder for an
"unwise.exe" file, and if it's there, drag the uninstall log on
to it. If it's not there, look in the Windows or System32 folder,
and drag the uninstall log on to it and agree to the uninstall.

<snip>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2004
"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:17:19 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Julie P. scrawled:
>
> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Yes, they do. That's why it's called "Application Data".
> >> Put them back where you found them.
> >>

> >
> >Ok, thanks. I did so. But how do you know they belong there,

>
> Erm, how do I explain that? Because I do.
>


that't what I thought.

> >since there are other Application Data folders also in my computer?

>
> Again, why do you think it's called "Application Data"?
>
> >Should I uninstall then reinstall programs like Adobe (which was one

>
> You shouldn't have gone removing folders in the first place.
> Don't mess with things that you don't understand.
>


I agree, but I thought I had accidentally moved them.


> >of the folders) to make sure they are in the right place?

>
> That depends on what mess you have made of it. It
> is an options that's worth considering.
>
> >Also, there is one uninstall log that I put in the Application Data

folder
> >that might not have actually been there before, since I had all those

other
> >folders in the Program Files folder before you told me to put them back,

and
> >the uninstall log might have been accidentally brought back with them to

the
> >Application Data folder.

>
> How could it have "accidentally" be brought back? What
> on earth are you doing to your system?
>



Because I thought it was part of the group of folders that I wrongly moved
to the Program files folder.

> >The uninstall log would have been right next to the brought-back
> >folders while I had them in the Program Files folder. Can you
> >tell me where it belongs? Here is what I found when I opened it:

>
> <snip>
>
> >[Directories2]
> >0=C:\Program Files
> >count=6
> >1=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp||1

>
> Uninstall WS_FTP and reinstall. If the uninstaller complains
> that it can't find data, search your WS_FTP folder for an
> "unwise.exe" file, and if it's there, drag the uninstall log on
> to it. If it's not there, look in the Windows or System32 folder,
> and drag the uninstall log on to it and agree to the uninstall.
>



Thank you!


 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2004
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:25:29 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Julie P. scrawled:

<snip>

>> Uninstall WS_FTP and reinstall. If the uninstaller complains
>> that it can't find data, search your WS_FTP folder for an
>> "unwise.exe" file, and if it's there, drag the uninstall log on
>> to it. If it's not there, look in the Windows or System32 folder,
>> and drag the uninstall log on to it and agree to the uninstall.
>>

>
>
>Thank you!


You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: The AMD 2 x 6400 seems to have dis-appeared... J Brockley NZ Computing 4 09-04-2008 06:33 AM
Help, mysterious PHP script appeared on my web site a.d. NZ Computing 18 11-23-2005 11:00 PM
unwanted mywebsearch toolbar has appeared Phil Computer Support 2 06-24-2004 07:13 AM
password in TextBox is not appeared in a new asp page Kuan ASP .Net 3 11-28-2003 10:32 AM
Mystery file appeared kerplunkuk Computer Support 3 07-07-2003 12:49 AM



Advertisments