Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "Windows" in recycle bi

"Windows" in recycle bi

PuppyKatt

I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to clear
the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore, and
tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS get
into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?

PuppyKatt

"PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H5Fyc.31961$(E-Mail Removed)...
: I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
: there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
clear
: the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
: delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
and
: tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
get
: into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?
:
:

PuppyKatt

BTW, WinXP Home.

"PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H5Fyc.31961$(E-Mail Removed)...
: I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
: there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
clear
: the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
: delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
and
: tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
get
: into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?
:
:

joevan

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:16:02 -0500, "PuppyKatt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BTW, WinXP Home.
>
>"PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:H5Fyc.31961$(E-Mail Removed)...
>: I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
>: there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
>clear
>: the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
>: delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
>and
>: tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
>get
>: into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?
>:
>:

Double click the icon in the recycle bin, and check the properties.
Then delete it after you find out what it is if you want to.
joevan

Unk

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:14:58 -0500, "PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
>there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to clear
>the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
>delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore, and
>tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS get
>into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?

Few things to try:

Frist, just shutdown and restart Windows to see if that fixed it.

If not, try this: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
See line 64 (Right side) "Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP"

░Mike░

<Piggybacked -- thanks Unk>

To PuppyKatt:
-------------
You have a corrupted recycle bin (or file within it).
Open a DOS box and type:

( If your system is FAT32 )
cd \RECYCLED
attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
chkdsk /F /R /X

( If your system is NTFS )
cd \RECYCLER
attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
chkdsk /F /R /X

Empty the bin again, if necessary.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:00:36 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Unk scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

PuppyKatt

"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: <Piggybacked -- thanks Unk>
:
: To PuppyKatt:
: -------------
[...]
: >wrote:
: >
: >>I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened
it,
: >>there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
clear
: >>the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
: >>delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
and
: >>tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
get
: >>into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?
: >>
: >Few things to try:
: >
: >Frist, just shutdown and restart Windows to see if that fixed it.
: >
: >If not, try this: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
: >See line 64 (Right side) "Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP"
:
:
:
: --
: Basic computer maintenance
: http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

PuppyKatt

Thank you Mike and Unk. Restart fixed it. What causes that?

[...]
: >wrote:
: >
[...]

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:52:18 -0500, "PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thank you Mike and Unk. Restart fixed it. What causes that?

No idea, and neither does anyone else. Restart generally fixes it tho...
With millions of lines of software code, there will always be aberrations.

>"┬░Mike┬░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>: <Piggybacked -- thanks Unk>
>:
>: To PuppyKatt:
>: -------------
>: You have a corrupted recycle bin (or file within it).
>: Open a DOS box and type:
>:
>: ( If your system is FAT32 )
>: cd \RECYCLED
>: attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
>: chkdsk /F /R /X
>:
>:
>: ( If your system is NTFS )
>: cd \RECYCLER
>: attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
>: chkdsk /F /R /X
>:
>:
>: Empty the bin again, if necessary.
>:
>:
>: On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:00:36 -0400, in
>: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>: Unk scrawled:
>:
>: >On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:14:58 -0500, "PuppyKatt"
><(E-Mail Removed)>
>: >wrote:
>: >
>: >>I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened
>it,
>: >>there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
>clear
>: >>the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
>: >>delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
>and
>: >>tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
>get
>: >>into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?
>: >>
>: >Few things to try:
>: >
>: >Frist, just shutdown and restart Windows to see if that fixed it.
>: >
>: >If not, try this: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>: >See line 64 (Right side) "Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP"
>:
>:
>:
>: --
>: Basic computer maintenance
>: http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

Fuzzy Logic

"PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:I6Fyc.31965$gf1.61770
@news1.mts.net:

> BTW, WinXP Home.
>
> "PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:H5Fyc.31961$(E-Mail Removed)...
>: I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
>: there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
> clear
>: the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
>: delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
> and
>: tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
> get
>: into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?

I've got this happening right now on my XP Pro machine and it has happened
in the past. The sequence of events. Delete some files, right click the
trash and select empty. The icon doesn't refresh and appears to have
contents even though if you open it it's empty. If I then try to empty the
trash I get the message Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'. If I say
yes I get an error. Rebooting generally fixes this for me.