Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WooHoo!!

WooHoo!!

Toolman Tim

Well, it took a while, but it worked!

I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The (used)
one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked if it was
possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard didn't support
it. But I didn't believe them, so I bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in
Dell's original package). It cost me less than half what others were selling
for. So if it didn't work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.

So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a PITA! I
need better glasses...

Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4 hours of
bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new internal modem (one
less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc. It looks/feels like new ;o)

So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

--
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

just ask

So what you are telling the NET world is that a laptop is upgradable?
Thanks for that information...Dell must want money that is why they say
that.

Yddap

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Toolman Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
> Well, it took a while, but it worked!
>
> I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The
> (used) one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked
> if it was possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard
> didn't support it. But I didn't believe them, so I bought a 750MHz
> CPU on eBay (sealed in Dell's original package). It cost me less than
> half what others were selling for. So if it didn't work, I figured
> I'd just sell it myself.
>
> So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a
> PITA! I need better glasses...
>
> Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4
> hours of bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new
> internal modem (one less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc.
> It looks/feels like new ;o)
>
> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

Which model of laptop ?
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Toolman Tim

just ask wrote:
> So what you are telling the NET world is that a laptop is upgradable?
> Thanks for that information...Dell must want money that is why they
> say that.

Yeah - they probably would rather have sold me a new model.

--
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

Rob K

Toolman Tim wrote :
<snip>

> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

Well done, teetee.
Here in the low countries, Dell has somewhat of a marketing problem. In
Dutch, "Del" = tart, and worse.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:

Toolman Tim

Yddap wrote:
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Toolman Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
>> Well, it took a while, but it worked!
>>
>> I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The
>> (used) one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked
>> if it was possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard
>> didn't support it.

>> <snipped>

>> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

> Which model of laptop ?

This is an Inspiron 7500. They ran models from 400MHz Celeron (maybe less)
to 750MHz PIII. This one was 500MHz, which was okay, but for $80
(CPU/Modem/palm rest/touchpad) it's now maxed out and definately worth the
$$.

--

Rob K wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote :
> <snip>
>>
>> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

> Well done, teetee.
> Here in the low countries, Dell has somewhat of a marketing problem.
> In Dutch, "Del" = tart, and worse.

Heh heh...that's good <g>

Actually, for the most part, I've been fairly happy with Dell and their
products. I just think the techie didn't want to bother selling used parts
on a system that was almost 4 years old.

--
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

Rob K

Toolman Tim wrote :
<snip>

> Actually, for the most part, I've been fairly happy with Dell and their
> products. I just think the techie didn't want to bother selling used parts
> on a system that was almost 4 years old.

Similar experiences here.
Generally there's not much wrong with their products. Well and properly
packed, shipped, handled and all.
Talking to a techie, ouch, that's always risky.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:
(E-Mail Removed)

Toolman Tim

Rob K wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote :
> <snip>
>>
>> Actually, for the most part, I've been fairly happy with Dell and
>> their products. I just think the techie didn't want to bother
>> selling used parts on a system that was almost 4 years old.

> Similar experiences here.
> Generally there's not much wrong with their products. Well and
> properly packed, shipped, handled and all.
> Talking to a techie, ouch, that's always risky.

Yep. I was surprised, though. It was the same person who found a nice
matched set CPU upgrades/memory for our seriously old server. Of course,
I've never called tech support on the workstations or laptops. And *never*
on problems that were obviously software related. But I have friends who say
they've been good, others who hate 'em. Typical, huh!

--
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

Unk

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:23:05 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, it took a while, but it worked!
>
>I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The (used)
>one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked if it was
>possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard didn't support
>it. But I didn't believe them, so I bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in
>Dell's original package). It cost me less than half what others were selling
>for. So if it didn't work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.
>
>So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a PITA! I
>need better glasses...
>
>Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4 hours of
>bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new internal modem (one
>less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc. It looks/feels like new ;o)
>
>So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

Sniff, sniff... You're lucky. Mine was soldered in......