Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WooHoo!!

WooHoo!!

Toolman Tim

Unk wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:23:05 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Well, it took a while, but it worked!
>>
>> I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The
>> (used) one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked
>> if it was possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the
>> motherboard didn't support it. But I didn't believe them, so I
>> bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in Dell's original package). It
>> cost me less than half what others were selling for. So if it didn't
>> work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.
>>
>> So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a
>> PITA! I need better glasses...
>>
>> Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4
>> hours of bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new
>> internal modem (one less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc.
>> It looks/feels like new ;o)
>>
>> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

> Sniff, sniff... You're lucky. Mine was soldered in......

Oh yeah - I know *that* problem. I have a (very very dead) Gateway Solo
laptop here with a 550MHz Celeron assembled right to the mobo as well.
Dang - so is the memory. And the video. I can't even test the LCD to see if
it's working. I might toss the whole thing up on eBay for someone to play
with. But I'm *not* going to tell them that nothing can be unplugged <g>

--
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

127.0.0.1

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, it took a while, but it worked!
>
> I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The (used)
> one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked if it was
> possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard didn't support
> it. But I didn't believe them, so I bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in
> Dell's original package). It cost me less than half what others were

selling
> for. So if it didn't work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.
>
> So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a PITA! I
> need better glasses...
>
> Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4 hours

of
> bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new internal modem

(one
> less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc. It looks/feels like new

;o)

> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

i did the same to my aging 7500 inspiron cel 466. replaced the cpu with a
750.
i had to update the bios so the speed step recognized the higher speed. it
defaulted to something like 500 without the bios update. it was also finicky
with certain memory modules.

also replaced the cd with a dvd. it was easy removing the cd player housing.

-a|ex

Toolman Tim

127.0.0.1 wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, it took a while, but it worked!
>>
>> I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The
>> (used) one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked
>> if it was possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the
>> motherboard didn't support it. But I didn't believe them, so I
>> bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in Dell's original package). It
>> cost me less than half what others were selling for. So if it didn't
>> work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.
>>
>> So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a
>> PITA! I need better glasses...
>>
>> Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4
>> hours of bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new
>> internal modem (one less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc.
>> It looks/feels like new ;o)
>>
>> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

> i did the same to my aging 7500 inspiron cel 466. replaced the cpu
> with a 750.
> i had to update the bios so the speed step recognized the higher
> speed. it defaulted to something like 500 without the bios update. it
> was also finicky with certain memory modules.
>
> also replaced the cd with a dvd. it was easy removing the cd player
> housing.

Yep - an oldie but goodie! I had the BIOS updated already. And with 512 megs
of RAM, it is really nice. I have a DVD/floppy, and a CDRW/floppy. I want to
buy one of the DVD/CDRW drives on eBay, but they're about $100 plus
shipping. So it may be a while. Then I'll sell the old parts and get some of
the money back. But I won't have to carry that extra drive around.

--
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

Kenny

it took courage to open the laptop and do that upgrade!

Good for you!

--

Hope this helps. Let us know.
_____________

---

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, it took a while, but it worked!
>
> I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The (used)
> one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked if it was
> possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard didn't support
> it. But I didn't believe them, so I bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in
> Dell's original package). It cost me less than half what others were

selling
> for. So if it didn't work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.
>
> So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a PITA! I
> need better glasses...
>
> Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4 hours

of
> bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new internal modem

(one
> less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc. It looks/feels like new

;o)

> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>
>
> --
> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

---

Toolman Tim

I've worked on desktops for 20+ years - actually before IBM sold their first
PC. But laptops...boy - now THAT was an experience <g>! Today, I pull out
the 10G HD and put in the extra 40G I've had sitting around...long job, but
well worth it when I'm done. Right now, the system is being backed up as I
catch up on the news.