Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with WIN XP and a missing file

Help with WIN XP and a missing file

Cartman, Eric

I was messing around with my "registry cleaner" and I totally screwed up ...
I am missing a file named ...system32\ntoskrnl.exe ... and when I boot I get
a message to reinstall the file.

So being the stoner that I am, I reinstalled XP and somehow I now have three
versions of XP on this machine one on the main drive and a few on the
partition? is this possible? I think I have 40g of hard drive space in
total

When I boot up now I have to choose from THREE versions of Win XP

My problem isnt solved and now i am getting low disk space errors

So my question is how do I fix this? I am usually OK with computers but
now i feel like a total retard

please help me? anyone? i just want it to be like it was before <sob>

eric

Duane Arnold

"Cartman, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40ca3c8f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was messing around with my "registry cleaner" and I totally screwed up

> I am missing a file named ...system32\ntoskrnl.exe ... and when I boot I

get
> a message to reinstall the file.
>

> So being the stoner that I am, I reinstalled XP and somehow I now have

three
> versions of XP on this machine one on the main drive and a few on the
> partition? is this possible? I think I have 40g of hard drive space in
> total
>
> When I boot up now I have to choose from THREE versions of Win XP
>
> My problem isnt solved and now i am getting low disk space errors
>

> So my question is how do I fix this? I am usually OK with computers but
> now i feel like a total retard
>
> please help me? anyone? i just want it to be like it was before <sob>

You may just have the boot.ini file that's in the root directory of <c> with
three entries in the file. The boot.ini files is a hidden and protected
system file you'll need to unhide and unprotect. You can then use Notepad
and edit the file and delete the two entries you don't want. You should copy
the boot.ini file first and save it just in case.

Duane

Rob K

Cartman, Eric wrote :
<snipped>
> I was messing around with my "registry cleaner" and I totally screwed up ...
>
> i just want it to be like it was before <sob>

Tinkering with boot.ini may very well be the workaround you're looking
for. And there are probably other ways to deal with just the ntoskernel
issue.

You mentioned "low disk space". Have you considered creating a backup
copy of all the files you really want to keep, format & reinstall ?
In other words: a thorough spring cleaning ? Yes, it's a lot of work
but you'll end up with a 'lean and mean' machine, probably just a bit
better than things were before.

Just my two cents

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:

Cartman, Eric

So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two .ini
files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.

No comprendo.

"Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cartman, Eric wrote :
> <snipped>
> > I was messing around with my "registry cleaner" and I totally screwed up

> > i just want it to be like it was before <sob>

> Tinkering with boot.ini may very well be the workaround you're looking
> for. And there are probably other ways to deal with just the ntoskernel
> issue.
>
> You mentioned "low disk space". Have you considered creating a backup
> copy of all the files you really want to keep, format & reinstall ?
> In other words: a thorough spring cleaning ? Yes, it's a lot of work
> but you'll end up with a 'lean and mean' machine, probably just a bit
> better than things were before.
>
> Just my two cents
>
> --
> My E-mail address in ROT-13:
> (E-Mail Removed)

Toolman Tim

> "Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Cartman, Eric wrote :
>> <snipped>
>>> I was messing around with my "registry cleaner" and I totally
>>> screwed up ...
>>>
>>> i just want it to be like it was before <sob>

>> Tinkering with boot.ini may very well be the workaround you're
>> looking for. And there are probably other ways to deal with just the
>> ntoskernel issue.
>>
>> You mentioned "low disk space". Have you considered creating a backup
>> copy of all the files you really want to keep, format & reinstall ?
>> In other words: a thorough spring cleaning ? Yes, it's a lot of work
>> but you'll end up with a 'lean and mean' machine, probably just a bit
>> better than things were before.
>>
>> Just my two cents
>>
>> --
>> My E-mail address in ROT-13:
>> (E-Mail Removed)

<<top posting fixed>>

> So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two
> .ini files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
>
> No comprendo.

Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back, right? The
boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your missing file. It merely
tells the system what boot options you have. (Search for the file to be
sure.)

Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same order
the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom, please post below
it. (If the replies are at the top, please post your reply above it). It
keeps things much easier to follow if everything is going the same
direction.

--
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

Rob K

Cartman, Eric wrote :
> So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two .ini
> files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
>
> No comprendo.

<snip>

Erm ... you've got just one boot.ini file.
( http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q289022 )

You said you have three versions of XP (= two re-installations) -
usually, one Operating System is enough

Formatting and reinstalling, thus getting rid of the problem is one
option. Do it properly and you'll end up with a freshly formatted HD, a
newly installed OS, all the latest drivers etc etc.

The second option is tinkering with boot.ini - leaving you with
unnecessary extra copies of Win XP taking up space; one reason for "low
disk space" maybe ?

The third option is getting rid of the two unwanted XP 'copies' AND
modifying boot.ini AND reinstalling the missing file properly.
In which case, even more problems may arise.

Up to you to decide.

HTH

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:
(E-Mail Removed)

Cartman, Eric

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Cartman, Eric wrote :
> >> <snipped>

> >> Tinkering with boot.ini may very well be the workaround you're
> >> looking for. And there are probably other ways to deal with just the
> >> ntoskernel issue.
> >>
> >> You mentioned "low disk space". Have you considered creating a backup
> >> copy of all the files you really want to keep, format & reinstall ?
> >> In other words: a thorough spring cleaning ? Yes, it's a lot of work
> >> but you'll end up with a 'lean and mean' machine, probably just a bit
> >> better than things were before.
> >>
> >> Just my two cents
> >>
> >> --
> >> My E-mail address in ROT-13:
> >> (E-Mail Removed)

> <<top posting fixed>>
>
> > So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two
> > .ini files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
> >
> > No comprendo.

> Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back, right?

The
> boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your missing file. It

merely
> tells the system what boot options you have. (Search for the file to be
> sure.)
>
> Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same order
> the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom, please post below
> it. (If the replies are at the top, please post your reply above it). It
> keeps things much easier to follow if everything is going the same
> direction.
>
> --
> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.

So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it using
notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.

this is what it says:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect

Rob K mentioned reformatting my HD and having a fresh start -- that is what
I wanted to do but i ended up here.

Through reformatting the HD using my Gateway OS disks, I tried to install
over an existing copy and i was asked for my administrator password. I have
no idea what that is.

I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF ... well maybe I'll just have another beer instead

Toolman Tim

Cartman, Eric wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> <<top posting fixed>>
>>
>>> So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two
>>> .ini files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
>>>
>>> No comprendo.

>> Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back,
>> right? The boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your
>> missing file. It merely tells the system what boot options you have.
>> (Search for the file to be sure.)
>>
>> Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same
>> order the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom,
>> please post below it. (If the replies are at the top, please post
>> your reply above it). It keeps things much easier to follow if
>> everything is going the same direction.
>>
>> --
>> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
>>

> You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.
>
> So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it
> using notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.
>
> this is what it says:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect
>
> Rob K mentioned reformatting my HD and having a fresh start -- that
> is what I wanted to do but i ended up here.
>
> Through reformatting the HD using my Gateway OS disks, I tried to
> install over an existing copy and i was asked for my administrator
> password. I have no idea what that is.
>
> I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF ... well maybe I'll just have another beer
> instead

Not too many of those...you can *really* muck up your computer <g>

A lot of times the OEM setup discs can do strange things if you get in a
hurry. Are you serious about reformatting again? No data to save? It would
really be a chore for me to do that...I'd rather fix a problem than start
over.

--
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

Duane Arnold

"Cartman, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:40ca57c7$(E-Mail Removed):

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> <<top posting fixed>>
>>
>> > So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other
>> > two .ini files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
>> >
>> > No comprendo.

>> Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back,
>> right?

> The
>> boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your missing file. It

> merely
>> tells the system what boot options you have. (Search for the file to
>> be sure.)
>>
>> Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same
>> order the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom, please
>> post below it. (If the replies are at the top, please post your reply
>> above it). It keeps things much easier to follow if everything is
>> going the same direction.
>>
>> --
>> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
>>

> You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.
>
> So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it
> using notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.
>
> this is what it says:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect

The second entry is the second install. The first one will not show as
before when you booted the machine and XP didn't stop to ask for a
selection. And they both look to be pointing to the same location. If you
did another install, then a third one would be there pointing to the same
location.

Obviously, you cannot install and have two different O/S in the same
partition.

If another O/S was in a second partition, then partition(2) would be one
of the entries.

You sure you installed the XP O/S in two different partitions?

If not, then get rid of the second entry and XP will boot with out asking
to make a selection.

Duane

Cartman, Eric

news:Xns9505D22C1AE41notmenotmecoml@204.127.199.17 ...
> "Cartman, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:40ca57c7$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> <<top posting fixed>>

> >> Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back,
> >> right?

> > The
> >> boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your missing file. It

> > merely
> >> tells the system what boot options you have. (Search for the file to
> >> be sure.)
> >>
> >> Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same
> >> order the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom, please
> >> post below it. (If the replies are at the top, please post your reply
> >> above it). It keeps things much easier to follow if everything is
> >> going the same direction.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
> >>

> > You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.
> >
> > So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it
> > using notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.
> >
> > this is what it says:
> >
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=30
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows XP Home
> > Edition" /fastdetect
> >

> The second entry is the second install. The first one will not show as
> before when you booted the machine and XP didn't stop to ask for a
> selection. And they both look to be pointing to the same location. If you
> did another install, then a third one would be there pointing to the same
> location.
>
> Obviously, you cannot install and have two different O/S in the same
> partition.
>
> If another O/S was in a second partition, then partition(2) would be one
> of the entries.
>
> You sure you installed the XP O/S in two different partitions?
>
> If not, then get rid of the second entry and XP will boot with out asking
> to make a selection.
>
> Duane

Duane:

thanks for your help. I understand that I need to "get rid of the second
entry" but I am wondering if you could tell me how.

Specifically, could you tell me exactly how to do this? Right now, I am
typing on the very machine that I am having problems with. THIS version of
XP runs properly but I am getting "low disk space" errors.

I want to edit my boot file to remove the other boot options besides this
one. I can search for a file called "boot.ini" and I can open it using
notepad but I need to see exactly what it needs to read. If you could.

Another thing : my friends were amazed last night when I was able to get
valuable information from this group. You guys are the best!!

thanks in advance and I apologize for my computer-illiteracy.