Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win XP Pro (SP1) -- DUN tray icon & Task Manager show 'port speed' _not_ 'connection speed'.

Win XP Pro (SP1) -- DUN tray icon & Task Manager show 'port speed' _not_ 'connection speed'.

hummingbird

My port speed is configured to 115.2, whereas my connection speed
is usually 42.67, sometimes 44.0 (as per modem log) but it's the port
speed which appears in the DUN tray icon and also in Task Manager.

I know this is wrong but can't find anything on MS KB to explain
how to correct it...anybody able to help on resolving this irritating
problem.?

TIA

Kevin Horner

115.2 is the speed from the modem to your motherboard
42.67 is the speed from your isp to your modem

"hummingbird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My port speed is configured to 115.2, whereas my connection speed
> is usually 42.67, sometimes 44.0 (as per modem log) but it's the port
> speed which appears in the DUN tray icon and also in Task Manager.
>
> I know this is wrong but can't find anything on MS KB to explain
> how to correct it...anybody able to help on resolving this irritating
> problem.?
>
> TIA

°Mike°

DUN shows 57,600 or 115,200 bit/s
http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html#115200

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:06:50 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
hummingbird scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

hummingbird

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:13:31 -0500, "Kevin Horner"
<(E-Mail Removed)>
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>115.2 is the speed from the modem to your motherboard
>42.67 is the speed from your isp to your modem

I know that.
What I want to know is how to get the modem speed (42.67)
to appear in the DUN icon and Task Manager as it should do
(and as it used to do until something changed...).

>"hummingbird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My port speed is configured to 115.2, whereas my connection speed
>> is usually 42.67, sometimes 44.0 (as per modem log) but it's the port
>> speed which appears in the DUN tray icon and also in Task Manager.
>>
>> I know this is wrong but can't find anything on MS KB to explain
>> how to correct it...anybody able to help on resolving this irritating
>> problem.?
>>
>> TIA

hummingbird

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:20:10 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>DUN shows 57,600 or 115,200 bit/s
>http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html#115200

Thanks °Mike°. I hoped you might cast your eye at this problem.
I've got a USR 56k internal voice modem V.90 and it worked well
under W98/SE but since rebuilding my machine and installing XP-Pro,
the modem connection has gone barmy.

XP-Pro auto-installed the modem and calls it a 'USR 56k Voice
Win 1806' (whatever that is) and uses the 1806 .inf which I think may
be the wrong one. I've noticed apart from the DTE port speed being
reported instead of DCE connection speed, it also shows that no
compression is used nor error correction! Adding extra AT settings
seems to have no effect. I also suffer from frequent 'lost carrier'
problems (connection just stops but stays connected) and have to
disconnect and re-dial. Then I find the DUN often goes into
'Not Responding' mode...so I have to close with brute force.
Such is life.

Anyway, I'll browse around that link you quoted above and keep
trying to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for your help.

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:06:50 +0100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> hummingbird scrawled:
>
>>My port speed is configured to 115.2, whereas my connection speed
>>is usually 42.67, sometimes 44.0 (as per modem log) but it's the port
>>speed which appears in the DUN tray icon and also in Task Manager.
>>
>>I know this is wrong but can't find anything on MS KB to explain
>>how to correct it...anybody able to help on resolving this irritating
>>problem.?
>>
>>TIA

°Mike°

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:56:13 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
hummingbird scrawled:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:20:10 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
>
>>DUN shows 57,600 or 115,200 bit/s
>>http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html#115200

>Thanks °Mike°. I hoped you might cast your eye at this problem.
>I've got a USR 56k internal voice modem V.90 and it worked well
>under W98/SE but since rebuilding my machine and installing XP-Pro,
>the modem connection has gone barmy.
>
>XP-Pro auto-installed the modem and calls it a 'USR 56k Voice
>Win 1806' (whatever that is) and uses the 1806 .inf which I think may
>be the wrong one.

Then you need to update it to the correct one. See the
USR site for the correct driver .inf file:
http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-t...p?prod=s-modem
http://www.usr.com/support/downloads...p?prod=s-modem
http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-t...?prod=s-pccard

If you can't find it above, see:
http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

> I've noticed apart from the DTE port speed being
>reported instead of DCE connection speed, it also shows that no
>compression is used nor error correction!

You can correct that in the DUN properties.

> Adding extra AT settings seems to have no effect. I also
>suffer from frequent 'lost carrier' problems (connection just
>stops but stays connected) and have to disconnect and re-dial.
>Then I find the DUN often goes into 'Not Responding' mode...so
>I have to close with brute force.
>Such is life.

See if updating the modem driver helps.

>Anyway, I'll browse around that link you quoted above and keep
>trying to get to the bottom of it.
>
>Thanks for your help.

Ok, good luck.

--
Basic computer maintenance

hummingbird

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 04:24:52 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:56:13 +0100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> hummingbird scrawled:
>
>>On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:20:10 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
>>
>>>DUN shows 57,600 or 115,200 bit/s
>>>http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html#115200

>>Thanks °Mike°. I hoped you might cast your eye at this problem.
>>I've got a USR 56k internal voice modem V.90 and it worked well
>>under W98/SE but since rebuilding my machine and installing XP-Pro,
>>the modem connection has gone barmy.
>>
>>XP-Pro auto-installed the modem and calls it a 'USR 56k Voice
>>Win 1806' (whatever that is) and uses the 1806 .inf which I think may
>>be the wrong one.

>Then you need to update it to the correct one. See the
>USR site for the correct driver .inf file:
>http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-t...p?prod=s-modem
>http://www.usr.com/support/downloads...p?prod=s-modem
>http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-t...?prod=s-pccard

I'll have another look but...
I've Been there. Sadly, USR don't seem to know which modem I have.
The picture & spec they show of my model number don't match.

I think their modem model naming/numbering must have got out of
control some time ago, possibly when 3Com/USR merged and (I think)
then de-merged again.

>If you can't find it above, see:
>http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

I'll take another look.

>> I've noticed apart from the DTE port speed being
>>reported instead of DCE connection speed, it also shows that no
>>compression is used nor error correction!

>You can correct that in the DUN properties.

Been there, changed the properties but some changes have no effect
(compression/error correcton).

>> Adding extra AT settings seems to have no effect. I also
>>suffer from frequent 'lost carrier' problems (connection just
>>stops but stays connected) and have to disconnect and re-dial.
>>Then I find the DUN often goes into 'Not Responding' mode...so
>>I have to close with brute force.
>>Such is life.

>See if updating the modem driver helps.

I'm running the latest driver installed with XP-Pro.
USR site has nothing for XP.

>>Anyway, I'll browse around that link you quoted above and keep
>>trying to get to the bottom of it.
>>
>>Thanks for your help.

>Ok, good luck.

Thanks, there might be some clues on that other website or links.