Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Clock in system tray is erratic

Clock in system tray is erratic

KungFusion

bolero wrote:

> My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any pointers?
> Is it symptomatic of a virus?

Somne information might help people suggest solutions
or places to look. Such as. What kind of PC is it?
What operating system is running? Do you leave it
powered down completely for long periods? etc..

Psychic we ain't.

bolero

My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any pointers?
Is it symptomatic of a virus?

Paul J. Veres

What operating system?

"bolero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:caaqqm$bvt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any pointers?
> Is it symptomatic of a virus?

KungFusion

bolero wrote:

> My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any pointers?
> Is it symptomatic of a virus?

btw-if you're on Win9x and the clock doesn't update
in the tray until you put the mouse cursor on it,
then search www.annoyances.org. I remember this
happening to me on Win98 but I forget what fixed
it. I remember that I found info about it there
though.

If the actual time is wrong then somebody could be
messing with your CMOS or you could have a battery
issue. Usually the batteries last for years unless
you leave the PC powered off for long periods.

°Mike°

If your clock is losing time during operation, it is
being affected by some software; Norton bloatware
is known to do this.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:28:22 +0000 (UTC), in
<caaqqm$bvt$(E-Mail Removed)>
bolero scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Juan Pérez

KungFusion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> bolero wrote:
>
>> My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any
>> pointers? Is it symptomatic of a virus?

> Somne information might help people suggest solutions
> or places to look. Such as. What kind of PC is it?
> What operating system is running? Do you leave it
> powered down completely for long periods? etc..
>
> Psychic we ain't.

TINW

--
Juan

Redman

"bolero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:caaqqm$bvt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any pointers?
> Is it symptomatic of a virus?

How old is the PC? Ther CMOS battery could be on the way out. You could
replace it if it's 3 or 4 years old. You could also try and synch it with
one of those Atomic Clock programs that you can download, install, connect
to the net and it'll keep your clock at the correct time. It'll also show
how much time is being lost in any hour, day etc.

HTH

Redman

rfdjr1@optonline.net

You could also have a bad or cheap oscillator on the MB. My last
system couldn't keep the time with any accuracy. My new system keeps
accurate time.