Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firewire or USB2?

Firewire or USB2?

Rifleman

I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage. Given the
analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes as against the (not
so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to voice an opinion on which is
likely to be the longer-lasting standard?

Ta!

Unknown

Most will operate with either interface. At least look for one that will.
"Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage. Given the
> analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes as against the (not
> so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to voice an opinion on which is
> likely to be the longer-lasting standard?
>
> Ta!

Rifleman

"Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VEJxc.21775$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...
> Most will operate with either interface. At least look for one that will.
> "Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage. Given

the
> > analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes as against the

(not
> > so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to voice an opinion on which is
> > likely to be the longer-lasting standard?
> >
> > Ta!

That's not my question - I'm trying to forecast whether both or either will
be around in (say) 3 or four years' time!

Dominic

Rifleman wrote:
> "Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VEJxc.21775$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...
>> Most will operate with either interface. At least look for one that
>> will. "Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage.
>>> Given the analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes
>>> as against the (not so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to
>>> voice an opinion on which is likely to be the longer-lasting
>>> standard?

> That's not my question - I'm trying to forecast whether both or
> either will be around in (say) 3 or four years' time!

Both.

Hans

"Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage. Given

the
> analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes as against the

(not
> so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to voice an opinion on which is
> likely to be the longer-lasting standard?
>
> Ta!

USB is a widely used technology that isn't soon to fade away. And firewire
is IEEE standards-based. Therefore, neither will fade.

John

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rifleman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage. Given the
> analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes as against the (not
> so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to voice an opinion on which is
> likely to be the longer-lasting standard?

They really aren't competing for the same functions.
Both will last.

I'd get FireWire for anything that uses large data files.
Smaller files would probably do fine with either.