Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Strange things happening with XP - Please help

Strange things happening with XP - Please help

Buffy

This is happening to a XP machine I built for a friend. She says that
when she powers on the PC the XP splash screen appears but then almost
immediately disappears and then the PC takes a full two minutes to get
to the desktop. Once there it appears to be fine. Any ideas why this
would be taking so long?

XP Home Edition
Asus A78x-x MB
256MB DDR 400 DIMM Memory
Radeon 7000 Dual Head 64MB DDR DVI

Thanks

Jacques Clouseau

In article <ca743r$gsu$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net>,
> This is happening to a XP machine I built for a friend. She says that
> when she powers on the PC the XP splash screen appears but then almost
> immediately disappears and then the PC takes a full two minutes to get
> to the desktop. Once there it appears to be fine. Any ideas why this
> would be taking so long?

Is it trying to establish a network connection (unsuccessfully)? Any
chance it's trying to find a piece of hardware, again unsuccessfully?

Jacques

Buffy

Jacques Clouseau wrote:
> In article <ca743r$gsu$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>This is happening to a XP machine I built for a friend. She says that
>>when she powers on the PC the XP splash screen appears but then almost
>>immediately disappears and then the PC takes a full two minutes to get
>>to the desktop. Once there it appears to be fine. Any ideas why this
>>would be taking so long?

> Is it trying to establish a network connection (unsuccessfully)? Any
> chance it's trying to find a piece of hardware, again unsuccessfully?
>
> Jacques

Dont really know Jacques as I havent got it with me at the moment. I do
know that it tested fine after I'd built it and has worked fine up until
recently. Only thing I can think of is we kept her oldish soundcard for
which I struggled to find a XP driver for (but did eventually)

Paul - xxx

Buffy posted:
> Jacques Clouseau wrote:
>> In article <ca743r$gsu$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>> This is happening to a XP machine I built for a friend. She says that
>>> when she powers on the PC the XP splash screen appears but then almost
>>> immediately disappears and then the PC takes a full two minutes to get
>>> to the desktop. Once there it appears to be fine. Any ideas why this
>>> would be taking so long?

>> Is it trying to establish a network connection (unsuccessfully)? Any
>> chance it's trying to find a piece of hardware, again unsuccessfully?
>>
>> Jacques

> Dont really know Jacques as I havent got it with me at the moment. I do
> know that it tested fine after I'd built it and has worked fine up until
> recently. Only thing I can think of is we kept her oldish soundcard for
> which I struggled to find a XP driver for (but did eventually)

I'd wonder what AV steps she takes regularly, and whether she has any Trojan
killers etc etc

If she uses the PC for surfing a lot then she may have (inadvertantly
probably) got things like manicpointer or incredisnail clogging up the
works.

I'd suggets Ad-aware and Spambot S&D at least to see if she has anything
untoward happening ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks