Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't reset computer clock

Can't reset computer clock

Mark T.

I use Windows 98 second editon and when I try to change the time on the
computer clock, I click the "OK" button and when I do, the the Date/Time
Properties window freezes and I have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL just so I can get
rid of the window.
Does anyone know how this problem can be corrected? Thanks for any help.

Toolman Tim

Mark T. wrote:
> I use Windows 98 second editon and when I try to change the time on
> the computer clock, I click the "OK" button and when I do, the the
> Date/Time Properties window freezes and I have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL
> just so I can get rid of the window.
> Does anyone know how this problem can be corrected? Thanks for any
> help.

Nope. But you could reset your time/date in CMOS...

Bill Watt

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:14:52 -0500, "Mark T." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I use Windows 98 second editon and when I try to change the time on the
>computer clock, I click the "OK" button and when I do, the the Date/Time
>Properties window freezes and I have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL just so I can get
>rid of the window.
>Does anyone know how this problem can be corrected? Thanks for any help.

Mark,

Double click the TIMEDATE.CPL file in the Windows\System folder. If
it has a problem extract it from your Win98 SE CD. From Start>Run
enter SFC and extract just that one file.

Not for this but if you ever use the SFC scan don't replace any
files other that those missing or corrupt. You could void any
updates.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

glee

Try replacing the Time & Date control panel file (Timedate.cpl) in the
Windows\System folder, with a fresh copy from your Windows CD or the .cab file
location on your hard drive.

How to use System File Checker (SFC) to extract a file:
http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/sfc.htm#1pp

HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;129605#5

Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=149648

How to Troubleshoot Control Panel Issues in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=299923
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm