Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is Linux?

What is Linux?

TechNews

Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its proven
reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.

Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs. (Gamers
have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.

http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

--
Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux

why?

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 GMT, TechNews wrote:

What's the point of posting 'news' over and over it's was pointless
after the first few times and boring now.

>Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its proven

'multiple platforms' rather then 'PC Platform' would be better.

>reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
>giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.

How long has Linux been out before these 'giants' jumped on / off the
Linux train.

>Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure

<snip>

>If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.

None of the above text is mentioned on the link provided. So where did
it come from. Some of the text is similar and gives similar information.

>http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

Me

127.0.0.1

"TechNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:499accc3b07cf775bc78f9474f44c001@news.1usenet .com...
> Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its

proven

PC platform has not been defined
PC = personal computer which includes macintosh, commodore, atari, etc..
the proper terminology: intel based computers, or an older term: IBM clone.

Linux is an operating system based on Linus Tovard's Linux Kernel.
the various utilities packages are referred to as distributions.

> reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
> giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.
>
> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
> for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
> users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.

(Gamers
> have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

i still play games on linux workstations.

> If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.
>
> http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

linux is not for everyone.
replacing ms with linux will increase the number of tech support calls.
linux exploits are more damaging than MS exploits.
MS buffer exploits do not drop you to root, linux does.

when was the last time an MS server got rooted?

-a|ex

Fuzzy Logic

TechNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:499accc3b07cf775bc78f9474f44c001@news.1usenet .com:

> Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its
> proven reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of
> computing giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.
>
> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
> for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
> users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.
> (Gamers have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

Linux is no more secure than other OS's. It's just been under the radar as
hackers target systems that will get them more exposure (more than 80% of
PC's run Windows). As Linux grows in popularity so will the discovered
vulnerabalities, viruses and trojans.

> If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.
>
> http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

Alternatively:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.10/linux_pr.html

Unk

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 GMT, TechNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<snip>

Saw this signature the other day....

Linux Is Like a Wigwam - No Windows, No Gates, And An Apache Inside...

TechNews

Fuzzy Logic wrote:

> TechNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:499accc3b07cf775bc78f9474f44c001@news.1usenet .com:
>
>> Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its
>> proven reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of
>> computing giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.
>>
>> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
>> for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
>> users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.
>> (Gamers have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

> Linux is no more secure than other OS's. It's just been under the radar as
> hackers target systems that will get them more exposure (more than 80% of
> PC's run Windows). As Linux grows in popularity so will the discovered
> vulnerabalities, viruses and trojans.

Linux is far more secure than Windows. Under Linux there are no viral
vehicles such as IE, OE, hotmail, etc. Should a Linux machine get infected,
the malicious code would have no way to destroy data for which it has no
permissions; it has no way to attack system files.

Are you able to name a single virus for Linux that may have caused the same
heartache as SoBig, Sasser, et.al.?

Linux popularity lies in running 70% of the Internet; as such, any hacker
that could bring a truly disruptive attack would have done so already. The
fact is that writing viral code for Linux is next to impossible. Compare
that with all the VB scripts that have gone around and caused millions of
$$ in damage around the world.

Windows, by design, is very vulnerable. Moreover, as is evident in this NG,
windows is also very unstable, unpredictable, and contrary to MS marketing,
not really all that user friendly.

127.0.0.1 wrote:

> "TechNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:499accc3b07cf775bc78f9474f44c001@news.1usenet .com...
>> Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its

> proven
>
> PC platform has not been defined
> PC = personal computer which includes macintosh, commodore, atari, etc..
> the proper terminology: intel based computers, or an older term: IBM
> clone.

However you want to call it.

> Linux is an operating system based on Linus Tovard's Linux Kernel.
> the various utilities packages are referred to as distributions.
>
> > reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
>> giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.
>>
>> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
>> for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
>> users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.

> (Gamers
>> have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

> i still play games on linux workstations.
>
>> If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.
>>
>> http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

> linux is not for everyone.

Nonsense. Anyone can go to a computer store, buy SuSE 9.1 and install it
quite easily. There are plenty of applications for surfing, multimedia,
games, editing, wordprocessing, etc.

> replacing ms with linux will increase the number of tech support calls.

More nonesense. How many support calls do you think that MS gets a day?
After all these years, Windows remains the buggiest OS ever made. Solaris,
BeOS, Novell, Mac OS X... all have proven to be better alternatives.

> linux exploits are more damaging than MS exploits.

A straight out lie. By contrast, MS exploits have caused millions of $$ in
damage... all documented.

> MS buffer exploits do not drop you to root, linux does.

Whatever vulnerabilities you imagine Linux has, it has already been
addressed and fixed. The fact remains that using MS products still leave
users in an exposed state of vulnerability.

> when was the last time an MS server got rooted?

When was the last time Linux got rooted? Proof please.

--

why? wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 GMT, TechNews wrote:
>
> What's the point of posting 'news' over and over it's was pointless
> after the first few times and boring now.
>
>>Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its
>>proven

> 'multiple platforms' rather then 'PC Platform' would be better.
>
>>reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
>>giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.

> How long has Linux been out before these 'giants' jumped on / off the
> Linux train.

Name a 'giant' that has jumped off...

>>Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure

> <snip>
>>
>>If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.

> None of the above text is mentioned on the link provided. So where did
> it come from. Some of the text is similar and gives similar information.

And that's relevant how?

--
Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux

Shane

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 +0000, TechNews wrote:

> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
> for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
> users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs. (Gamers
> have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

As we say in the old country, *******s! Properly set up and maintained a
Windows PC can be as reliable and secure as a Linux PC. The problem is, to
my mind, that the Windows PC is becoming just another consumer item like a
TV or microwave. Consider how many people are unable to set the clock on
their VCR or program it to record something. Is it any wonder that they're
totally clueless when they buy their nice shiny new PC from PC World, Best
BUy, Costco, Wal-Mart or where-ever? Look how far the home computer has
come in the last 15 years and look at how lazy people have become in even
trying to educate themselves. No wonder most home PCs are a mess. Linux
does better, again in my opinion only, because the people who choose to
install it (rather than buying a computer with it on already) are already
going to be more savvy than 90% of people using the Internet.

Boomer

Shane <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 +0000, TechNews wrote:
>>
>> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and
>> insecure for all but gaming applications. Because of such a
>> fragile environment, users of all levels have turned to Linux
>> for their computing needs. (Gamers have turned to PS2 and
>> Nintendo for their fix).
>>

> As we say in the old country, *******s! Properly set up and
> maintained a Windows PC can be as reliable and secure as a Linux
> PC.

[snip]

Agreed!