Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Click to Bookmark Adware

Click to Bookmark Adware

sarnapm@sbcglobal.net

I keep getting windows popping up with the heading "Click to
Bookmark". They are ads for various programs. My spybot and adware 6
aren't finding anything nor is my Norton Antivirus. I am going nuts
with this - can anyone help me solve this problem?

ArnaP

Unk

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 04:00:41 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I keep getting windows popping up with the heading "Click to
>Bookmark". They are ads for various programs. My spybot and adware 6
>aren't finding anything nor is my Norton Antivirus. I am going nuts
>with this - can anyone help me solve this problem?
>
>ArnaP

What kind of windows? Internet Explorer or Messenger?

Disabling Windows Messenger Service PopUp SPAM
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml
http://www.crawford100.fsbusiness.co..._messenger.htm

How to stop Messenger SPAM: Disable Windows Messenger Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330904

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage", Select "Services and
Applications" in the left panel, then double-click "services" in the
right panel. Scroll down the right pane until you see "messenger",
double click it and click the stop button, click "Apply", "OK"

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
http://www.clankiller.com/tech/WinXP/misctweaks.php
http://www.lantalk.net/disable_messenger.php
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

"Shoot The Messenger" utility for Windows NT/2000/XP
http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

Disable/Enable/Remove Windows Messenger in XP

Windows Messenger Spam Elimination Freeware
http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
http://grc.com/miscfiles/ShootTheMessenger.exe

The messenger service is not the problem. The real problem
is the fact that you are not running a firewall, or if you
are, you haven't blocked ports 137-139.

Disabling the messenger service will stop the popups, but if
you have file and print sharing bound to your external TCP/IP
connection, then you could also potentially be sharing your
entire hard disk with the world since netBIOS uses ports 137-139.

Check your security here: http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2