Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Resources Low

Resources Low

jfbusby

Running win98. System is clean but after operating for awhile on ie6
filesquit opening when requested and I get low resource message.
Any ideas?
Thanks
John

°Mike°

Ron Martell's System Resources Explained
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#resources

Jim Eshelman's System Resources FAQ
http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:31:54 -0500, in
<gQ0xc.13523$W01.10222@okepread01>
jfbusby scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Hywel

In article <gQ0xc.13523$W01.10222@okepread01>, jfbusby says...
> Running win98. System is clean but after operating for awhile on ie6
> filesquit opening when requested and I get low resource message.
> Any ideas?

Go to http://www.analogx.com/ and download MaxMem to see if reclaiming
memory from applications that aren't using it helps.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

°Mike°

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:49:14 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Hywel scrawled:

>In article <gQ0xc.13523$W01.10222@okepread01>, jfbusby says...
>> Running win98. System is clean but after operating for awhile on ie6
>> filesquit opening when requested and I get low resource message.
>> Any ideas?

>Go to http://www.analogx.com/ and download MaxMem to see if reclaiming
>memory from applications that aren't using it helps.

It won't. Resources does not equal memory; besides, memory
managers are a waste of time, since they just bump stuff into
the page file.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, °Mike° says...
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:49:14 +0100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Hywel scrawled:
>
> >In article <gQ0xc.13523$W01.10222@okepread01>, jfbusby says...
> >> Running win98. System is clean but after operating for awhile on ie6
> >> filesquit opening when requested and I get low resource message.
> >> Any ideas?

> >Go to http://www.analogx.com/ and download MaxMem to see if reclaiming
> >memory from applications that aren't using it helps.

> It won't. Resources does not equal memory;

I know, but I used to use it under Win98SE and it certainly helped.

> besides, memory managers are a waste of time, since they just bump
> stuff into the page file.

You're probably right there, but as it's a free bit of software it
should still be worth trying.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

°Mike°

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:37:01 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Hywel scrawled:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, °Mike° says...
>> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:49:14 +0100, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Hywel scrawled:
>>
>> >In article <gQ0xc.13523$W01.10222@okepread01>, jfbusby says...
>> >
>> >Go to http://www.analogx.com/ and download MaxMem to see if reclaiming
>> >memory from applications that aren't using it helps.

>> It won't. Resources does not equal memory;

>I know, but I used to use it under Win98SE and it certainly helped.

I doubt VERY much if it was a memory manager that helped.

>> besides, memory managers are a waste of time, since they just bump
>> stuff into the page file.

>You're probably right there, but as it's a free bit of software it
>should still be worth trying.

No, it's not. All memory managers are a waste of space.

--
Basic computer maintenance