Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Startup problem..

Startup problem..

Moody Marco

Hi

My mate just phoned me with a problem that has him baffled - he shutdown his
PC (properly) about 30 mins ago, and all was ok. He went to turn it on a
minute ago and he got a message about "Windows had a problem, this may be
related to a recent hardware or software change" and options to start in
Safe Mode, Safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration,
start windows normally, etc. I told him to try Start Windows normally, and
he got a black screen for ages, indefinetely. He turned off and back on,
got same message, and tried Safe Mode. Got a list of white writing on
screen about loading this that and the other drivers, and it got stuck after
saying ...\system32\nup.sys. It got stuck here for ages. He turned off
again, then tried SM with command prompt. Same problem - stuck after it
said ...\system32\nup.sys.

I went off the phone and told him I'd search Google for nup.sys, but he
phoned back 2 mins ago and said he tried again and chose Safe Mode, and it
stayed on nup.sys for a minute then booted into safe mode. He restarted,
and Windows booted normally, perfectly.

A full up to date Norton AV scan showed nothing.

Any ideas?

Windows XP Pro
Athlon 1.04 Ghz
768MB RAM
(Custom built PC)

Cheers in advance!

Jim Berwick

"Moody Marco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:2ih56mFmtigtU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Any ideas?

No ideas on the problem (as your description tells nothing in terms of the
cause), however you would have better luck searching for "mup.sys", as that
is the name of the file it would have been stuck on. There is no nup.sys.

Boomer

"Moody Marco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> My mate just phoned me with a problem that has him baffled - he
> shutdown his PC (properly) about 30 mins ago, and all was ok.
> He went to turn it on a minute ago and he got a message about
> "Windows had a problem, this may be related to a recent hardware
> or software change" and options to start in Safe Mode, Safe mode
> with command prompt, last known good configuration, start
> windows normally, etc. I told him to try Start Windows
> normally, and he got a black screen for ages, indefinetely. He
> turned off and back on, got same message, and tried Safe Mode.
> Got a list of white writing on screen about loading this that
> and the other drivers, and it got stuck after saying
> ...\system32\nup.sys. It got stuck here for ages. He turned
> off again, then tried SM with command prompt. Same problem -
> stuck after it said ...\system32\nup.sys.
>
> I went off the phone and told him I'd search Google for nup.sys,
> but he phoned back 2 mins ago and said he tried again and chose
> Safe Mode, and it stayed on nup.sys for a minute then booted
> into safe mode. He restarted, and Windows booted normally,
> perfectly.
>
> A full up to date Norton AV scan showed nothing.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Windows XP Pro
> Athlon 1.04 Ghz
> 768MB RAM
> (Custom built PC)
>
> Cheers in advance!

Maybe..

Install, immediately update and run, at least, the first four.

Ad-aware Aims at Adware/Spyware.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpybotS&D Aims for the dialers, trojans,
hijackers and security/privacy issues.
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spyware Blaster

CoolWebShredder

HijackThis
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
Install and run, then post the log to "HijackThis Logs"
at http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php.

http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

Info on above and more.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://www.netrn.net/spywareblog/

Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

~ Spyware Information ~
http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

~Other software~
http://www.wilders.org/

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.spyware
alt.comp.anti-virus

Also serach Google and Googles archive for more information.

Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

Joseph C. Lightowler

Moody Marco wrote:

> Hi
>
> My mate just phoned me with a problem that has him baffled - he shutdown his
> PC (properly) about 30 mins ago, and all was ok. He went to turn it on a
> minute ago and he got a message about "Windows had a problem, this may be
> related to a recent hardware or software change" and options to start in
> Safe Mode, Safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration,
> start windows normally, etc. I told him to try Start Windows normally, and
> he got a black screen for ages, indefinetely. He turned off and back on,
> got same message, and tried Safe Mode. Got a list of white writing on
> screen about loading this that and the other drivers, and it got stuck after
> saying ...\system32\nup.sys. It got stuck here for ages. He turned off
> again, then tried SM with command prompt. Same problem - stuck after it
> said ...\system32\nup.sys.
>
> I went off the phone and told him I'd search Google for nup.sys, but he
> phoned back 2 mins ago and said he tried again and chose Safe Mode, and it
> stayed on nup.sys for a minute then booted into safe mode. He restarted,
> and Windows booted normally, perfectly.
>
> A full up to date Norton AV scan showed nothing.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Windows XP Pro
> Athlon 1.04 Ghz
> 768MB RAM
> (Custom built PC)
>
> Cheers in advance!

Dear Sir...Can you ask your friend if he has Downloaded all of the
service packs for Win XP...
Joe

Dominic

Boomer wrote:
> "Moody Marco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> My mate just phoned me with a problem that has him baffled - he
>> shutdown his PC (properly) about 30 mins ago, and all was ok.
>> He went to turn it on a minute ago and he got a message about
>> "Windows had a problem, this may be related to a recent hardware
>> or software change" and options to start in Safe Mode, Safe mode

<snip>

>> Any ideas?

> Maybe..
>
> Install, immediately update and run, at least, the first four.
>
> Ad-aware Aims at Adware/Spyware.
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

"Install spyware removal software" is becoming the new "shutdown and
restart". The incidence rate of spyware-related problems seems to be
increasing more rapidly than ever.