Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drive Cable Select???

Hard drive Cable Select???

Charles

I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.

Two questions:
1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
and if not, how can I tell?

2. Can that same ribbon cable be used if I instead jumper the
drives as Master and Slave?

Thanks for your help.

-Charles

Elco

"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
> to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
> and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
>
> Two questions:
> 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
> and if not, how can I tell?
>
> 2. Can that same ribbon cable be used if I instead jumper the
> drives as Master and Slave?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -Charles

1. Yes

2. Yes

--
grtz......Elco

Parko

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 +0000, Charles wrote:

> I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
> to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
> and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
>
> Two questions:
> 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
> and if not, how can I tell?

Every HD i've bought over the last few years does. Look at the label on
the HD, or the jumper pinny thingy at the back of the drive.

> 2. Can that same ribbon cable be used if I instead jumper the
> drives as Master and Slave?

Yep

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Charles

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:56:21 +0200, Elco wrote:

> "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
>> to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
>> and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
>>
>> Two questions:
>> 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
>> and if not, how can I tell?
>>
>> 2. Can that same ribbon cable be used if I instead jumper the
>> drives as Master and Slave?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> -Charles

> 1. Yes
>
> 2. Yes

On question 2, is your answer still "Yes" if the drives
are connected opposite to the standard positions, i.e., if
the Slave drive is connected via the end connector and the
Master drive is connected via the middle connector?

(Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
post.)

-Charles

why?

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 GMT, Charles wrote:

>I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
>to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
>and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
>
>Two questions:
>1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
>and if not, how can I tell?

No. Read the motherboard manual.

<snip>

Me

why?

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:47:12 GMT, Parko wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 +0000, Charles wrote:
>
>> I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
>> to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
>> and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
>>
>> Two questions:
>> 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
>> and if not, how can I tell?

>Every HD i've bought over the last few years does. Look at the label on
>the HD, or the jumper pinny thingy at the back of the drive.

OP said motherboard not drive. I can say the same thing for every HD
(PATA) bought the last few years. But that's no use if the mobo doesn't
support it.

<snip>

Me

Walter Mautner

Charles wrote:

> On question 2, is your answer still "Yes" if the drives
> are connected opposite to the standard positions, i.e., if
> the Slave drive is connected via the end connector and the
> Master drive is connected via the middle connector?
>
> (Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
> post.)

That should not happen: it may lead to drastic speed loss or even data loss
(corrupted filesystems) with udma66/100/133 drives. In fact, "master"
jumpered drive at the end connector also "terminates" the line just as it's
necessary for scsi.
As an example, I have my harddrives jumpered as "slave" on the middle
connectors and the dvdrom, cd burner - as usually located on the upper side
of the tower - jumpered master, due to case and cable length issues. No
problem at all with that setup.

*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*your*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.6-0.rc3.1mdkpkt*[LinuxCounter#295241]

Elco

"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:56:21 +0200, Elco wrote:
>

> > "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> > news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
> >> to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
> >> and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
> >>
> >> Two questions:
> >> 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
> >> and if not, how can I tell?
> >>
> >> 2. Can that same ribbon cable be used if I instead jumper the
> >> drives as Master and Slave?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help.
> >>
> >> -Charles

> > 1. Yes
> >
> > 2. Yes

> On question 2, is your answer still "Yes" if the drives
> are connected opposite to the standard positions, i.e., if
> the Slave drive is connected via the end connector and the
> Master drive is connected via the middle connector?
>
> (Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
> post.)
>
> -Charles

The answer is still yes .
more info :
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html

--
grtz......Elco

Elco

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Charles wrote:
>
> > On question 2, is your answer still "Yes" if the drives
> > are connected opposite to the standard positions, i.e., if
> > the Slave drive is connected via the end connector and the
> > Master drive is connected via the middle connector?
> >
> > (Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
> > post.)
> >

> That should not happen: it may lead to drastic speed loss or even data

loss
> (corrupted filesystems) with udma66/100/133 drives. In fact, "master"
> jumpered drive at the end connector also "terminates" the line just as

it's
> necessary for scsi.
> As an example, I have my harddrives jumpered as "slave" on the middle
> connectors and the dvdrom, cd burner - as usually located on the upper

side
> of the tower - jumpered master, due to case and cable length issues. No
> problem at all with that setup.
>
> --
> Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
> detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
> to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software.
> Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.6-0.rc3.1mdkpkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

Ok .....that's right for older systems...1997 and older...
--
grtz......Elco

Charles

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:16:55 +0000, why? wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 GMT, Charles wrote:
>
>>I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
>>to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
>>and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
>>
>>Two questions:
>>1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
>>and if not, how can I tell?

> No. Read the motherboard manual.

Unfortunately the manuals for neither of my motherboards (1998
and 2004 vintages) say anything about this one way or the other
(else I wouldn't need to ask).

-Charles