Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > registry problem

registry problem

Felt Lair

When I boot I get the following message -- with four different .vxd's:

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
Application.

The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the
device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file,
try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

The four files associated with this message are:

1> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgCore.vxd
2> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgFsh.vxd
3> Progra~1\CA\ETrust~1\Etrust~1\vetmon9x.vxd
4> vsdata95.vxd

I assume they are all orphan files and if I could delete them from the
registry (they are NOT in SYSTEM.INI) all would be well. But I cannot find
them in the registry.

Anyone tell me how to locate them, and how to safely delete them?

Thanks in advance.

Kenny

1. Re-install AVG & Etrust software then uninstall them properly.
2. Download and run the registry cleaner in JV16 Power Tools, it's a 30 day
free trial.
http://www.macecraft.com/brief_pt/

--

Kenny

"Felt Lair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Cnmwc.37566$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I boot I get the following message -- with four different .vxd's:

> Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
> Application.
>
> The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but

the
> device file no longer exists.
>
> If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
> application using its uninstall or setup program.
>
> If you still want to use the application associated with this device file,
> try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
>
> The four files associated with this message are:
>
> 1> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgCore.vxd
> 2> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgFsh.vxd
> 3> Progra~1\CA\ETrust~1\Etrust~1\vetmon9x.vxd
> 4> vsdata95.vxd

> I assume they are all orphan files and if I could delete them from the
> registry (they are NOT in SYSTEM.INI) all would be well. But I cannot find
> them in the registry.
>
> Anyone tell me how to locate them, and how to safely delete them?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Felt Lair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Cnmwc.37566$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I boot I get the following message -- with four different .vxd's:
>
> Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
> Application.
>
> The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but
> the
> device file no longer exists.
>
> If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
> application using its uninstall or setup program.
>
> If you still want to use the application associated with this device file,
> try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
>
> The four files associated with this message are:
>
> 1> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgCore.vxd
> 2> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgFsh.vxd
> 3> Progra~1\CA\ETrust~1\Etrust~1\vetmon9x.vxd
> 4> vsdata95.vxd
>
> I assume they are all orphan files and if I could delete them from the
> registry (they are NOT in SYSTEM.INI) all would be well. But I cannot find
> them in the registry.
>
> Anyone tell me how to locate them, and how to safely delete them?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Run hijack this (download from webby below)
http://www.spychecker.com/download/d...ijackthis.html

Click scan.
Locate the 4 files above - select them - click fix