Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft Windows Worm Steals Credit Card Info

Microsoft Windows Worm Steals Credit Card Info

TechNews

New PC Worm Steals Data
anon June 4, 2004 LONDON

Microsoft .. Windows users are being warned about a virus that is
"aggressively stealing" credit card numbers and passwords, the BBC
reports on its Web site Friday.

The Korgo virus debuted on May 22 and since then has been steadily
racking up victims.

Although the virus is not widespread, security firms are issuing
warnings because it is proving so effective at stealing confidential data.

Those infected by Korgo are being urged to change passwords and credit
cards if they have been used online recently.

The key logger steals password and credit card information and sends it
back to its creators, thought to be a virus writing group called the
Hangup Team.

"Change your passwords and cancel your credit cards. Especially the ones
you've used during last week," wrote the antivirus researchers. "This is
not a joke."

http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/ON/inde...04-000314-0821
http://snipurl.com/6uvt

--
Reliability:Speed:Security

Craven

TechNews wrote:
> New PC Worm Steals Data
> anon June 4, 2004 LONDON
>
> Microsoft .. Windows users are being warned about a virus that is
> "aggressively stealing" credit card numbers and passwords, the BBC
> reports on its Web site Friday.
>
> The Korgo virus debuted on May 22 and since then has been steadily
> racking up victims.
>
> Although the virus is not widespread, security firms are issuing
> warnings because it is proving so effective at stealing confidential
> data.
>
> Those infected by Korgo are being urged to change passwords and credit
> cards if they have been used online recently.

> The key logger steals password and credit card information and sends
> it back to its creators, thought to be a virus writing group called
> the Hangup Team.

> "Change your passwords and cancel your credit cards. Especially the
> ones you've used during last week," wrote the antivirus researchers.
> "This is not a joke."
>
> http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/ON/inde...04-000314-0821
> http://snipurl.com/6uvt

Ok, the situation with Korgo is a bit confusing, let me try to explain
what's going on.

- Most variants of Korgo are spreading worldwide. The numbers are not big
when compared to outbreaks like Sasser, but it's definitely out there.

- Korgo does include a backdoor

- But Korgo does not include a keylogger, nor any code to steal banking info
etc.

- It seems that the Hangup Team (virus group behind the worm) is actively
installing a backdoor with password stealing capabilities known as Padodor
to the infected computers. This is done via the backdoor left by Korgo.

- Padodor collects anything typed to any web forms, and specifically logs
bank logins for users of some international banks

This gets pretty confusing, as "Padobot" (not Padodor) is one of the aliases
of the Korgo worm.

So, not all machines infected by Korgo have the Padodor backdoor, and the
Padodor backdoor can be found from machines which are not infected by Korgo.
But they are both written by the same virus group.

--
Regards,
Chris

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://uk.geocities.com/cravenbirds/

Checked by the Norton auto-updated anti-virus system.