Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Blue Screen of Death: Windows XP Pro

Blue Screen of Death: Windows XP Pro

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I was told that Windows XP Pro wsas a stable operating system. Also
that they got rid of the "blue screen of death". SO what is this that
I've seen a few times in the past week? A blue screen that starts out
with "A problem has been etected and Windows has been shut down to
prevent damage to your computer..."? After a bunch of other verbiage,
there's a line that says:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805B91F4, 0xEB1DBAFC, 0xEB1DB7FC)

Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
this.

Thanks for any insight.

Kyle

Wait, that was odd, you ask what could be causing the problem and then tell
us it's a home built. perhaps it's a hardware issue? check microsoft's
knowledge base and type in 0x0000007E and see where that starts. Those
cryptic numbers can be looks up and you might be able to narrow down what is
wrong with your hardware. I don't know if it's overheating but please
check. Also, check all the drivers and make sure that you have updated the
BIOS, etc.

It's hardware 99% of the time with XP and Blue Screens

Peace!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805B91F4, 0xEB1DBAFC, 0xEB1DB7FC)
:
: Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
: could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
: over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
: Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
: this.
:
: Thanks for any insight.
:

DC

> [...] "A problem has been etected(sp?) and Windows has been shut down to
> prevent damage to your computer..."? [...]

Finally, a useful Windoze feature. Can this be enabled at startup? }:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Free your mind, and your OS will follow...

Kyle

Similar to putting the following in your rc.local (or whatever distribution
your use)

echo "your computer is broken, shutting down......"
shutdown -h now

"DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
: (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
: > [...] "A problem has been etected(sp?) and Windows has been shut down to
: > prevent damage to your computer..."? [...]
:
:
: Finally, a useful Windoze feature. Can this be enabled at startup? }:O)
:
:
: --

Kyle wrote:
> Similar to putting the following in your rc.local (or whatever distribution
> your use)

> echo "your computer is broken, shutting down......"
> shutdown -h now

I'd never thought of that. }:O)

> "DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>: (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>: > [...] "A problem has been etected(sp?) and Windows has been shut down to
>: > prevent damage to your computer..."? [...]
>:
>:
>: Finally, a useful Windoze feature. Can this be enabled at startup? }:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Free your mind, and your OS will follow...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

DC wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>[...] "A problem has been etected(sp?) and Windows has been shut down to
>>prevent damage to your computer..."? [...]

> Finally, a useful Windoze feature. Can this be enabled at startup? }:O)

Yes, create a shortcut and place it in the Startup folder.

ICee

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I was told that Windows XP Pro wsas a stable operating system. Also
> that they got rid of the "blue screen of death". SO what is this that
> I've seen a few times in the past week? A blue screen that starts out
> with "A problem has been etected and Windows has been shut down to
> prevent damage to your computer..."? After a bunch of other verbiage,
> there's a line that says:
>
> Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805B91F4, 0xEB1DBAFC, 0xEB1DB7FC)
>
> Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
> could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
> over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
> Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
> this.
>
> Thanks for any insight.

About halfway down the page:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I was told that Windows XP Pro wsas a stable operating system. Also
> that they got rid of the "blue screen of death". SO what is this that

Whoever told you that doesnt work on PCs. The BSOD is an integral part
of any windows OS. That's one way you know you're running a legit MS OS.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Yes, it's home built, but has run smooth as silk for three months. And
I haven't installed any new hardware since I built it in February
(everything works fine hardware-wise) and I haven't installed any new
software in a while. Like in weeks. This just suddenly cropped up
today.

>Wait, that was odd, you ask what could be causing the problem and then tell
>us it's a home built. perhaps it's a hardware issue? check microsoft's
>knowledge base and type in 0x0000007E and see where that starts. Those
>cryptic numbers can be looks up and you might be able to narrow down what is
>wrong with your hardware. I don't know if it's overheating but please
>check. Also, check all the drivers and make sure that you have updated the
>BIOS, etc.
>
>It's hardware 99% of the time with XP and Blue Screens
>
>Peace!
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>: I was told that Windows XP Pro wsas a stable operating system. Also
>: that they got rid of the "blue screen of death". SO what is this that
>: I've seen a few times in the past week? A blue screen that starts out
>: with "A problem has been etected and Windows has been shut down to
>: prevent damage to your computer..."? After a bunch of other verbiage,
>: there's a line that says:
>:
>: Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805B91F4, 0xEB1DBAFC, 0xEB1DB7FC)
>:
>: Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
>: could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
>: over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
>: Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
>: this.
>:
>: Thanks for any insight.
>:

Kyle

OK good to hear, what I would do is check the hardware and refer to my
Also, did you research those error numbers on google?

[...]
: >
: >:
: >: Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
: >: could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
: >: over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
: >: Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
: >: this.
: >:
: >: Thanks for any insight.
: >: