Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Rant: Intellectual Property, DRM, and Microsoft

Rant: Intellectual Property, DRM, and Microsoft

TechNews

By James C

Despite my usual disdain for foul language, I must invoke their use in my
total and utter hatred of the US Intellectual Property laws, Palladium and
the good old boys at M$.

I am not going to rant in total fanaticism about Linux and hatred of
Windows - they have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to
delve into that OS flame war.

The thing that shits me about this whole digital millenium jerk-off that the
yanks have introduced will totally **** over the entire computing
world -since nearly all the corporations are american. For goodness sake,
with the amount of Australian businesses and ingenuity now owned by the US
corporations, Australia is the 51st state. Everyone likes the fun action and
'surreal' quality of The Matrix, but these assholes want to try and emulate
what it is doing - you cannot do anything on an electronic device without
some corporate ****-face telling you what you should be doing, whats right
and what isn't, or it's upgrade time every second week for "only $1000" - In
the mean time, collecting my personal details to sell to some dipshit on
Wall Street to make money off. What has happened to the idea of morality? Or
is that an optional add-on for $2000, plus licensing fees and DRM audits?

I am no hardcore "GPL must rule the world person" - Like RMS - but this
corporate bullshit ****es many of us off, and Im sure if the general public
knew more about it, so would they. I can see it [Palladium] as an effort to
curb piracy, but when the biggest bully in the corporate world is its
"benevolent creator" i find the whole smokescreen to be total ****. Not
satisfied with ****ing owning the PC world, they want to kill the general
public's interest in free software and replace it with some DRM crap that is
so tight and restrictive it will make your balls ache.They are the boardroom
version of the gangstas in your nearest alleyway.

Whats even more frightening is that DRM, the fetid scourge that will pollute
Windows in the near future (and is to some extent now) as we all know, will
also be a hardware component. Perhaps the good old days of "rd c:\windows,
and be gone with it" are numbered. Even with our favourite OS here, the
hardware boys will still get to you in some way or another, for their
disturbingly rich piece of the DRM pie. All of this money swindling bullshit
here in the developed world - for example, to repay the good music labels
that have worked so hard to **** its artists like bitches while paying them
nothing. All this while people can't even ****ing eat decent food overseas.
What a wonderful world we live in.

The whole concept IP is a piece of ****. Its true. What was wrong with
copyright? (Wait a sec, we couldn't make enought money out of it - how silly
of me). At least copyright was not insane, but common sense and even moral
when it was drawn up. The US has gone even more overboard in its ridiculous
legal system - not to mention having a ****ing inbred, gung-ho, tex-mex,
ranch manging dipshit as a president. What I could now do is copyright the
word 'e' so everyone [If the world was to adopt the same plan] has to pay me
$1 for every time they use it. They have to licence a piece of the english
language of me, indefinately - with myself not giving anything back. What a
wonderful IP world could we live in. Think of how much legal fun we will all
have! We may even have to licence our children! Or even pay to breathe air -
Hey, its God's intellectual property, so I'm sure a representative (Most
likely from a Texas Mission) will register the IP for Him. Fun for
everyone!!!

An oooooooohhhhhhhh Microsoft. Do I need to say anything more? We all follow
the latest news about them, so there is no need here to recap it. Except one
thing. When President Reagan referred to the "Evil Empire", It was
Microsoft, not the [then] Soviet Union. They simply do not want to give us
any choice but theirs. And with corporate cowboys in bed with the Bush
administration, I think they've got a rather nice environment for going
ahead with their plans to invade all of our privacy and restrict our choice
in software, and everything else come the time.

Phew. Contrary to the impression I may give, I am not insane, crazy, a
greenie activist, a new age know-it-all or an anti-american terrorist - Im
not even against everyday americans. I am just an average guy that is
concerned for his freedom, which is [allegedly] assured by democratic
constitutions. A bit of advice for the corporate gods that think they own
myself and other people - Go **** yourself. Take your privacy-invading,
rights-nullifying and democracy-mocking technology and go blow your ****ing
mother off.

--
Reliability:Speed:Security

one_red_eye

"TechNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:378a4082bc7f1945490ddf64686fa8cd@news.1usenet .com...

<snip>

> The whole concept IP is a piece of ****. Its true. What was wrong with
> copyright? (Wait a sec, we couldn't make enought money out of it - how

silly
> of me). At least copyright was not insane, but common sense and even moral
> when it was drawn up. The US has gone even more overboard in its

ridiculous
> legal system - not to mention having a ****ing inbred, gung-ho, tex-mex,
> ranch manging dipshit as a president. What I could now do is copyright the
> word 'e' so everyone [If the world was to adopt the same plan] has to pay

me
> $1 for every time they use it. They have to licence a piece of the english
> language of me, indefinately - with myself not giving anything back. What

> wonderful IP world could we live in. Think of how much legal fun we will

all
> have! We may even have to licence our children! Or even pay to breathe

air -
> Hey, its God's intellectual property, so I'm sure a representative (Most
> likely from a Texas Mission) will register the IP for Him. Fun for
> everyone!!!

<snip>

You were doing fine till you slammed the Prez. It was that liberal piece of
garbage Clitton that ****ed up the whole system in this country. It was all
Bush could do to straighten it out.

--
Despite the high cost of living,
it remains popular.

Parko

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:29:14 +0000, TechNews wrote:

> I am not going to rant in total fanaticism about Linux and hatred of
> Windows - they have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to
> delve into that OS flame war.

I note you're using Knode. Get an old (or better a G5) Mac and a copy of
Yellowdog Linux. Use Ogg for music and look at a little package called
Hymn for any ITunes purchases. Palladium and DRM problem solved.

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

127.0.0.1

"TechNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:378a4082bc7f1945490ddf64686fa8cd@news.1usenet .com...

> By James C
> The whole concept IP is a piece of ****. Its true. What was wrong with
> copyright? (Wait a sec, we couldn't make enought money out of it - how

silly
> of me). At least copyright was not insane, but common sense and even moral
> when it was drawn up. The US has gone even more overboard in its

ridiculous
> legal system - not to mention having a ****ing inbred, gung-ho, tex-mex,
> ranch manging dipshit as a president. What I could now do is copyright the
> word 'e' so everyone [If the world was to adopt the same plan] has to pay

me
> $1 for every time they use it. They have to licence a piece of the english
> language of me, indefinately - with myself not giving anything back. What

> wonderful IP world could we live in. Think of how much legal fun we will

all
> have! We may even have to licence our children! Or even pay to breathe

air -
> Hey, its God's intellectual property, so I'm sure a representative (Most
> likely from a Texas Mission) will register the IP for Him. Fun for
> everyone!!!

the only way to make money with IP is to rent it.. not sell it.
you won't see GPL programmers owning private jets or playing golf with Bill.

-a|ex

ProfGene

You already have to pay to breath air. Energy from coal whose smokestacks
have scrubbers to clean the air cost more money than if they didn't. Cleaner
emissions from car exhausts costs more money than if they were not there so
clean air if you are fortunate enough to breath any is not free unless you
live on top of a mountain but living there would also cost more money to get
your necessities. Modern technilogical wonders have a price.
news:QRtvc.9630$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...