Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: downloading zip files

Re: downloading zip files

Hi All,

Thanks for helping me. actually before I installed Spybot and
SpywareBlaster I had changed some of the settings of
my Zonealarm firewall. I recalled it and set them to their
defaults and my problem was solved. In reality my settings
of Zonealarm were causing those error messages.
I now have installed both Spybot and SpywareBlaster and
I am able to download zip,rar or any attachment files now.

I appreciate all your help towards me.

Thank you Linda,Mike and Tim and sorry for the annoyance
any of you might have felt.

Thanks

I still suggest that you UNinstall BOTH programs. Reinstall them one at a
time. Once you install one, try to download a zip file. If you can,
install the next one. If you can't download, then you know the problem
probably lies with that program. There is either a default unchangable
setting, in which case you can do nothing about it but live with it or
remove the program, or there is a setting that you can change, and you need
to find out how it's changed. Move onto the second program if all goes well
with the first.

I personally haven't had a problem like that, and I use SpyBot and
SpyKiller. I doubt it's in the application itself, but since you think
you've done everything else, rule them out by following what I told you (in
the first post).

Linda

I resetted all the zones to default level and Resetted Web Settings and
Resetted to defaults in the Advanced Tab but that
did not solve my problem. Also when I try to
do a "Save target as" I get "Internet Explorer cannot download the
file. The requested site is unavailable or cannot be found."

Thanks

Okay - I cleaned up some of the rambling and extra spaces and repeated stuff
above and below this...so let's start from here. I think it's a security
issue in Internet Explorer. In IE, click on Tools, Internet Options,
Security tab, then one at a time click on the "zones" - Internet, then click
"Default Level", then "Local Intranet", "Default Level", etc., all four
zones. On the Programs tab, click "Reset Web Settings", and on the advanced
tab click on "Reset Defaults". Unless of course you have some reason to have
customized any of the settings on these pages. That should reset IE to
"fresh out of the box" settings, and may clear up your problem.

The second thing I think you could try, is to "right-click" on the link for
the file you want to download, then select "Save Target As" from the pop-up
menu.

> I dont mean to annoy anybody but the thing is whatever I have been

suggested did not work.
> It was suggested:
> "That is not a problem with SpyBot S&D or SpywareBlaster.
> Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools / Folder Options /
> File types. Double click on .zip file type and make sure
> that 'Confirm open after download' is checked.
>
> If this doesn't help, please explain fully what happens when
> your try to download .zip files, with any error messages.
> And give some details of your operating system."
>
> I replied :
> "That option is checked in the .zip file types.
> Before installing Spybot and SpywareBlaster I was able to
> download any,zip,rar or any office document on
> clicking and had the option of saving it or downloading to disk.
> I am having Win XP home edition and IE 6.0.
> After I installed Spybot and SpywareBlasater I cannot do so.
> When I click on a zip,rar or any word file in the browser I get
> the following message:
> 'You are not authorized to view this page
> You might not have permission to view this directory or
> page using the credentials you supplied.
> HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
> Internet Explorer '"

I dont mean to annoy anybody but the thing is whatever I have been suggested did not work.

I was suggested

"
That option is checked in the .zip file types.
Before installing Spybot and SpywareBlaster I was able to
download any,zip,rar or any office document on
clicking and had the option of saving it or downloading to disk.
I am having Win XP home edition and IE 6.0.

After I installed Spybot and SpywareBlasater I cannot do so.

When I click on a zip,rar or any word file in the browser I get
the following message

"You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or
page using the credentials you supplied.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer "

Even though there are no permission problems. This happens with any webpage
which has a zip or attachment file.

When I try to right click and do save as target I get
the following message

"Internet Explorer cannot download the file. The requested site
is unavailable or cannot be found.""

Also I was suggested to remove one and see if that works else
remove both Spybot and SpywareBlaster.

I tried uninstalling Spybot but that did not help me. Also I
uninstalled SpywareBlaster but even that did not help me?

Even now I cannot download anything now?

In Google(and also in this newsgroup "need help" message") I posted after I tried
the suggestions and I couldnot get a solution.

I asked what should I do now after uninstalling both.

I am sorry if you are annoyed by my question.

Thanks

Will you please stop asking the same damn question
over and over. Read the answers you've already been
given.

On 30 May 2004 15:38:26 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
MINAL scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

**********End Of Post*************

**********End Of Post*************

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:G8Buc.23406$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for helping me. actually before I installed Spybot and
> SpywareBlaster I had changed some of the settings of
> my Zonealarm firewall. I recalled it and set them to their
> defaults and my problem was solved. In reality my settings
> of Zonealarm were causing those error messages.
> I now have installed both Spybot and SpywareBlaster and
> I am able to download zip,rar or any attachment files now.
>
> I appreciate all your help towards me.
>
> Thank you Linda,Mike and Tim and sorry for the annoyance
> any of you might have felt.
>
> Thanks

No problem.

NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz