Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > celeron speed

celeron speed

steven

i am told by someone that a celeron with a speed of 1.7 Ghz is actually lowe
in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it true and
if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a lot.

Steven

Toolman Tim

"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40ba8d19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i am told by someone that a celeron with a speed of 1.7 Ghz is actually

lowe
> in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it true

and
> if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a lot.
>
> Steven

Speed, no. Processing ability, yes. See the following (somewhat dated) web
pages:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...eleron-05.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...eleron-01.html

Hamman

"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40ba8d19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i am told by someone that a celeron with a speed of 1.7 Ghz is actually

lowe
> in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it true

and
> if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a lot.
>
> Steven

Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a Celly.

hamman

Andy

"Hamman" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40ba8d19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i am told by someone that a celeron with a speed of 1.7 Ghz is actually

> lowe
> > in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it true

> and
> > if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a lot.
> >
> > Steven
> >

> Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
> Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a Celly.
>
> hamman

Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a few
hundred dollars to change hardware towards Pentium.

Blinky the Shark

Andy wrote:

> Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a few

....if you don't cool it with decent hardware.

Similarly, a tire is prone to going flat if you drive a nail into it.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

-= Hawk =-

On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:52:45 GMT, "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribbled:

>Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a few
>hundred dollars to change hardware towards Pentium.

No, they're not.

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Martik

>> Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
>> Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a
>> Celly.
>>
>> hamman

1.6ghz Duron is $59CDN vs $100 for cheapest Athlon (2200) - not worth the
price difference unless you're on a very tight budget.

> Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a
> few
> hundred dollars to change hardware towards Pentium.

Pentium has better thermal protection but most MB's now have built-in
protection for Athlons

Kenny

what kind of trash are you telling people to do you moron!
Celerons are great.

www.computerboom.net
"Hamman" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40ba8d19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i am told by someone that a celeron with a speed of 1.7 Ghz is actually

> lowe
> > in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it true

> and
> > if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a lot.
> >
> > Steven
> >

> Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
> Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a Celly.
>
> hamman

---

Toolman Tim

Yes, Celerons are great. But they are not P4's downgraded because of not
passing tests. They are a different CPU, with limited cache memory. We use
Celerons at work on all but the CAD workstations, since they do great with
MS Office type products. IMO, for graphics intensive applications, the P4 is
going to perform enough better to pay for itself.

news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> what kind of trash are you telling people to do you moron!
> Celerons are great.
>

> www.computerboom.net
> "Hamman" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:40ba8d19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > i am told by someone that a celeron with a speed of 1.7 Ghz is

actually
> > lowe
> > > in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it

true
> > and
> > > if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a

lot.

> > > Steven
> > >

> > Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
> > Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a

Celly.

> > hamman
> >

> ---

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Mon, 31 May 2004 14:06:14
-0700, "Toolman Tim" <TCMayer_at_charter_net_invalid> claimed the
following truncated trash was the absolute, ****ing truth:

>Yes, Celerons are great. But they are not P4's downgraded because of not
>passing tests. They are a different CPU, with limited cache memory. We use
>Celerons at work on all but the CAD workstations, since they do great with
>MS Office type products. IMO, for graphics intensive applications, the P4 is
>going to perform enough better to pay for itself.

Celerons are nothing but P4s with 128 kb of cache. They have the exact
same core.

Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

>"Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) ws.com...
>> what kind of trash are you telling people to do you moron!
>> Celerons are great.
>>

>> www.computerboom.net
>> "Hamman" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:40ba8d19$(E-Mail Removed)...

>actually
>> > lowe

>true
>> > and

>lot.

>> > Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
>> > Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a

>Celly.
>> >
>> > hamman
>> >

>> ---

---

Zittmutter offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>