Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Celeron?

Celeron?

martin loomis

I.m shopping around and see that a computer with a 2.8ghz Celeron processor
cost like $300 less than a P4 at same speed, I've been told that celerons
are pentium chips that were flawed( batch of 3.0ghz cut out of a sheet but
those that don't pass testing are labeled celeron at a lower speed(true?).
Also been told that a celeron's L2 cache is lower than a pentium, don't know
how to check that so am wondering if that is true. Does the old saying, "You
get what you pay for" apply here?? Any insight is greatly appreciated, I am
not sure that maybe the name (pentium vs. celeron) is what's going on and
maybe celeron would work as well and save us some money. TIA

ICee

martin loomis wrote:
> I.m shopping around and see that a computer with a 2.8ghz Celeron
> processor cost like $300 less than a P4 at same speed, I've been told
> that celerons are pentium chips that were flawed( batch of 3.0ghz cut
> out of a sheet but those that don't pass testing are labeled celeron
> at a lower speed(true?). Also been told that a celeron's L2 cache is
> lower than a pentium, don't know how to check that so am wondering if
> that is true. Does the old saying, "You get what you pay for" apply
> here?? Any insight is greatly appreciated, I am not sure that maybe
> the name (pentium vs. celeron) is what's going on and maybe celeron
> would work as well and save us some money. TIA

The Celeron has 128 KB L2 cache and the P4 has 256KB, 512KB or 1MB
cache, depending on the model. The FSB (actually data transfer rate) is
faster on some Pentium 4 models also.
The specs of each are readily available from Intel's site:
http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...sors/pentium4/
http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...ssors/celeron/

Frederic

http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...iid=sr+celeron

http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...leron+body_p4p

P4 is designed for performance. Celeron for office application purpose.

Celeron are definitively not bad P4 chips.

Celeron will make you save some money. P4 will make you save time (waiting
after your computer)

A good compromise for a normal user would be to have a celeron with a good
video card.
It's a waste to have a P4 with a cheap video card that requires the
processor to calculate images to be send to the monitor.

Tom's hardware publish regurlarly benchmarks about processors
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html

--
Frederic
MCP, IT Project+, i-Net+, CIW Associate, A+

"martin loomis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I.m shopping around and see that a computer with a 2.8ghz Celeron

processor
> cost like $300 less than a P4 at same speed, I've been told that celerons
> are pentium chips that were flawed( batch of 3.0ghz cut out of a sheet but
> those that don't pass testing are labeled celeron at a lower speed(true?).
> Also been told that a celeron's L2 cache is lower than a pentium, don't

know
> how to check that so am wondering if that is true. Does the old saying,

"You
> get what you pay for" apply here?? Any insight is greatly appreciated, I

am
> not sure that maybe the name (pentium vs. celeron) is what's going on and
> maybe celeron would work as well and save us some money. TIA

Andy

"martin loomis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I.m shopping around and see that a computer with a 2.8ghz Celeron

processor
> cost like $300 less than a P4 at same speed, I've been told that celerons
> are pentium chips that were flawed( batch of 3.0ghz cut out of a sheet but
> those that don't pass testing are labeled celeron at a lower speed(true?).
> Also been told that a celeron's L2 cache is lower than a pentium, don't

know
> how to check that so am wondering if that is true. Does the old saying,

"You
> get what you pay for" apply here?? Any insight is greatly appreciated, I

am
> not sure that maybe the name (pentium vs. celeron) is what's going on and
> maybe celeron would work as well and save us some money. TIA

I have 1.7 GHz Celeron and AIW 8500 ( all in wonder) video card and it works
great. Never had a problem.

Unknown

If the objective is to save money, stick with the Celeron.
"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MBHuc.43$(E-Mail Removed) gers.com...

> "martin loomis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I.m shopping around and see that a computer with a 2.8ghz Celeron

> processor
> > cost like $300 less than a P4 at same speed, I've been told that celerons
> > are pentium chips that were flawed( batch of 3.0ghz cut out of a sheet but
> > those that don't pass testing are labeled celeron at a lower speed(true?).
> > Also been told that a celeron's L2 cache is lower than a pentium, don't

> know
> > how to check that so am wondering if that is true. Does the old saying,

> "You
> > get what you pay for" apply here?? Any insight is greatly appreciated, I

> am
> > not sure that maybe the name (pentium vs. celeron) is what's going on and
> > maybe celeron would work as well and save us some money. TIA
> >

> I have 1.7 GHz Celeron and AIW 8500 ( all in wonder) video card and it works
> great. Never had a problem.

Plato

martin loomis wrote:

> I.m shopping around and see that a computer with a 2.8ghz Celeron processor
> cost like $300 less than a P4 at same speed, I've been told that celerons
> are pentium chips that were flawed( batch of 3.0ghz cut out of a sheet but

Incorrect. Are you getting your advice from a vacuum/whitegoods/pc
salesman at a discount store?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/