Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: downloading zip files

Re: downloading zip files

> I dont mean to annoy anybody but the thing is whatever I have been
suggested did not work.
> It was suggested:
> "That is not a problem with SpyBot S&D or SpywareBlaster.
> Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools / Folder Options /
> File types. Double click on .zip file type and make sure
> that 'Confirm open after download' is checked.
>
> If this doesn't help, please explain fully what happens when
> your try to download .zip files, with any error messages.
> And give some details of your operating system."
>
> I replied :
> "That option is checked in the .zip file types.
> Before installing Spybot and SpywareBlaster I was able to
> download any,zip,rar or any office document on
> clicking and had the option of saving it or downloading to disk.
> I am having Win XP home edition and IE 6.0.
> After I installed Spybot and SpywareBlasater I cannot do so.
> When I click on a zip,rar or any word file in the browser I get
> the following message:
> 'You are not authorized to view this page
> You might not have permission to view this directory or
> page using the credentials you supplied.
> HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
> Internet Explorer '"

Okay - I cleaned up some of the rambling and extra spaces and repeated stuff
above and below this...so let's start from here. I think it's a security
issue in Internet Explorer. In IE, click on Tools, Internet Options,
Security tab, then one at a time click on the "zones" - Internet, then click
"Default Level", then "Local Intranet", "Default Level", etc., all four
zones. On the Programs tab, click "Reset Web Settings", and on the advanced
tab click on "Reset Defaults". Unless of course you have some reason to have
customized any of the settings on these pages. That should reset IE to
"fresh out of the box" settings, and may clear up your problem.

The second thing I think you could try, is to "right-click" on the link for
the file you want to download, then select "Save Target As" from the pop-up
menu.

I resetted all the zones to default level and Resetted Web Settings and Resetted to
defaults in the Advanced Tab but that
did not solve my problem. Also when I try to
do a "Save target as" I get "Internet Explorer cannot download the
file. The requested site is unavailable or cannot be found."

Thanks

NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

I still suggest that you UNinstall BOTH programs. Reinstall them one at a
time. Once you install one, try to download a zip file. If you can,
install the next one. If you can't download, then you know the problem
probably lies with that program. There is either a default unchangable
setting, in which case you can do nothing about it but live with it or
remove the program, or there is a setting that you can change, and you need
to find out how it's changed. Move onto the second program if all goes well
with the first.

I personally haven't had a problem like that, and I use SpyBot and
SpyKiller. I doubt it's in the application itself, but since you think
you've done everything else, rule them out by following what I told you (in
the first post).

Linda
news:gLuuc.21691$(E-Mail Removed)...