Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Delivery Failure E-mails....WHY???

Delivery Failure E-mails....WHY???

fredcromer

Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so in
LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails in
my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
me,..to a person,..( usually called http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ),or names to that
effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc...made up by someone ( nob-eds),...
Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied with
an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so please
don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one yet,
but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy internet
sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS ARE.........All
The Best.....FRED, oh Yeah, and HOW can I at least go about preventing them
getting to my computer, if it's possible...Cheers for reading, hope you can
help

Tim Kettring

I dont totally understand , but my posted acct is one that I have never ever
sent from , and I get 'return to sender' "delivery failure" emails all the
time , and always delete them without looking at them , since they probably
are a virus .

"fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so

in
> LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails

in
> my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
> me,..to a person,..( usually called (E-Mail Removed) ),or names to

that
> effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc...made up by someone (

nob-eds),...
> Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied

with
> an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so

please
> don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one

yet,
> but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
> else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
> time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy

internet
> sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
> SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS

ARE.........All
> The Best.....FRED, oh Yeah, and HOW can I at least go about preventing

them
> getting to my computer, if it's possible...Cheers for reading, hope you

can
> help

Toolman Tim

"fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so

in
> LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails

in
> my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
> me,..to a person,..( usually called (E-Mail Removed) ),or names to

that
> effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc...made up by someone (

nob-eds),...
> Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied

with
> an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so

please
> don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one

yet,

What in the world are you talking about? Sygate personal is great - and
free. Zonealarm does fine, and is free. Outpost comes with a free 30 day
trial of their professional version, then it reverts to standard and is
still *FREE*. Ya can't afford stinking *FREE*? Geez...

> but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
> else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
> time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy

internet
> sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
> SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS

ARE.........All
> The Best.....FRED, oh Yeah, and HOW can I at least go about preventing

them
> getting to my computer, if it's possible...Cheers for reading, hope you

can
> help

Yes. They're spam, or something. Change your e-mail address with your ISP.

LanceN

Tim Kettring, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I dont totally understand , but my posted acct is one that I
> have never ever sent from , and I get 'return to sender'
> "delivery failure" emails all the time , and always delete them
> without looking at them , since they probably are a virus .
>
> "fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to
>> computing, so

> in
>> LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about
>> 20-30 emails

> in
>> my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have
>> been sent by me,..to a person,..( usually called
>> (E-Mail Removed) ),or names to

> that
>> effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc...made up by someone (

> nob-eds),...
>> Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always
>> accompanied

> with
>> an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a
>> firewall,so

> please
>> don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a
>> good one

> yet,
>> but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or
>> something else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a
>> computer at the same time, and have no firewall...DON't get
>> them....I NEVER visit dodgy

> internet
>> sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3
>> months.....HOPE SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT
>> THESE E-MAILS

> ARE.........All
>> The Best.....FRED, oh Yeah, and HOW can I at least go about
>> preventing

> them
>> getting to my computer, if it's possible...Cheers for reading,
>> hope you

> can
>> help

This is fred

>I have a personal computer in my flat...no-one else uses it , so i

don't
>have 2 worry about file sharing etc....I recently asked which logon

i should
>use...(1) windows family....(2) MS for client....or (3) the other

one, can't
>remember the name...WINDOWS summat or other.....ANYWAY........When i

log on
>to my own PC, and use mailwaher, there are the usuall 15 or so,
>spammy,virusy, shite emails, ..it's pretty tiresome deleting

'em...so can
>any 'normal' person in these newsgroups, tell me how to keep my e-

mail
>address 'safe'....or can anyone who reads this for example, get my

e-mail
>address ???, if so, how do i fix it....MANY THANKS IF YOU CAN HELP

ME WITH
>THIS ISSUE, which by the way, is probably the most important

question i've
>posted yet....cos it really ****es me off, all that crap that comes

into
>MAILWASHER......THANKS , All the Best.....FRED, ......P.S....i've

sinned to
>****, by only having a computer for 3 months, and daring to ask

questions on
>this newsgroup.,..24hour-helpdesk....WHAT WAS I THINKIN' OF....sorry

to all
>you lot who have helped me immensely these last few months....but

there are
>some right twats who think that 'cos they know summat about friggin'
>computers, they're in some way SUPERIOR to us mere mortals...Also

i'll have
>2 mention the couple who like using the profanitys, well i've done a

good
>bit of time in my life, hard ****in' time...in many Nicks , and

these are
>the people I wish i'd have done, instead of the ones who i

unfortunately
>happened to force their eyeballs to the backs of their skulls with

me'
>thumbs, just so I could grin as i felt the nearing of the back of

the
>sockets, that touch the inside skull...i'd have a real good half-

hour with
>you *****, it'd make me feel 'SUPERIOR' , knowing that i can't be
>done...'cos i don't allow meself to..I wonder how 'hard' these tough

talkin'
>blokes really are ? i'd like 2 find out......if only

eh?........Yankee
>gobshites.........Anyway, sorry to the helpful news-group-users for

this
>long-winded way of gettin' a bit of frustration out of me,

here.....All the
>Best.....FRED

ProfGene

You should run your virus scan and clean out all the worms as often as you
can. I just learned something that might work but I haven't tried it yet.
In your address book make the first entry AAA for the email address with no
more information this might stop the worm from sending spam because the
first one on the list will cause it not to go to the others but come back to
you as undeliverable.
"fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so

in
> LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails

in
> my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
> me,..to a person,..( usually called (E-Mail Removed) ),or names to

that
> effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc...made up by someone (

nob-eds),...
> Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied

with
> an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so

please
> don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one

yet,
> but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
> else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
> time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy

internet
> sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
> SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS

ARE.........All
> The Best.....FRED, oh Yeah, and HOW can I at least go about preventing

them
> getting to my computer, if it's possible...Cheers for reading, hope you

can
> help

Ben

On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:26:34 -0500, ProfGene wrote:

> You should run your virus scan and clean out all the worms as often as you
> can. I just learned something that might work but I haven't tried it yet.
> In your address book make the first entry AAA for the email address with no
> more information this might stop the worm from sending spam because the
> first one on the list will cause it not to go to the others but come back to
> you as undeliverable.

An old and long discounted idea. It doesn't work according to those who
know more about it than me.

Iggy

Toolman Tim

Not a chance, Professor...

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/quickfix.htm

"ProfGene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9fprq$dvlo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should run your virus scan and clean out all the worms as often as you
> can. I just learned something that might work but I haven't tried it yet.
> In your address book make the first entry AAA for the email address with

no
> more information this might stop the worm from sending spam because the
> first one on the list will cause it not to go to the others but come back

> you as undeliverable.
> "fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so

> in
> > LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails

> in
> > my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent

by
> > me,..to a person,..( usually called (E-Mail Removed) ),or names to

> that
> > effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc...made up by someone (

> nob-eds),...
> > Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied

> with
> > an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so

> please
> > don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one

> yet,
> > but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
> > else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the

same
> > time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy

> internet
> > sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3

months.....HOPE
> > SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS

> ARE.........All
> > The Best.....FRED, oh Yeah, and HOW can I at least go about preventing

> them
> > getting to my computer, if it's possible...Cheers for reading, hope you

> can
> > help

MayB

"ProfGene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9fprq$dvlo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should run your virus scan and clean out all the worms as often

as you
> can. I just learned something that might work but I haven't tried

it yet.
> In your address book make the first entry AAA

Prof Gene: That is one bucket of bull! --- But to the OP: For
Heaven's sake, download a FREE firewall from zonelabs.com. It's the
best!

I don't have a firewall,so