Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Abit BP6 motherboard donated too :-) - what CPU(s) can this one take ???

Abit BP6 motherboard donated too :-) - what CPU(s) can this one take ???

no-name

a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
among the donated motherboards,
there was a single Abit BP6
( BX chipset - dual CPU )

socket 370, obviously
but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

for example -
don't some Socket 370 chips have a different voltage,
or am I getting confused ???

meanwhile - apparently the FSB speeds of 124MHz and 133MHz
have an extra divider for setting the PCI bus at 1/4 FSB
but no additional divider for the AGP bus...

so, my first thought is that a 133MHz FSB CPU - or 2 -
would get along better with a PCI graphics card than an AGP

any comments ???
thanks in advance

Jeff Smith

"no-name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9bkrr$hd1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
> among the donated motherboards,
> there was a single Abit BP6
> ( BX chipset - dual CPU )
>
> socket 370, obviously
> but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???
>
> for example -
> don't some Socket 370 chips have a different voltage,
> or am I getting confused ???
>
> meanwhile - apparently the FSB speeds of 124MHz and 133MHz
> have an extra divider for setting the PCI bus at 1/4 FSB
> but no additional divider for the AGP bus...
>
> so, my first thought is that a 133MHz FSB CPU - or 2 -
> would get along better with a PCI graphics card than an AGP
>
> any comments ???
> thanks in advance

the BP6 is a one-of a kind motherboard, it I believe Will only work with
very early celeron's.. check abit's website, and look at there manual

no-name

"no-name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9bkrr$hd1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
> among the donated motherboards,
> there was a single Abit BP6
> ( BX chipset - dual CPU )
>
> socket 370, obviously
> but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

oops -
I meant to emphasise the use of *dual* CPU's

I assume this is only possible with a limited range of CPU's

I know Intel now deliberately breaks multiprocessing ability
in all but its Xeon range - but when did they start doing that ???

what were the fastest Celerons that could do dual ??

and/or would twin P3 work in a BP6 ???

and if so, what would be the best pair ???
( avoiding any comments about who has the best pair... )

thanks in advance

Jeff Smith

"no-name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9blsl$avp$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "no-name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c9bkrr$hd1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
> > among the donated motherboards,
> > there was a single Abit BP6
> > ( BX chipset - dual CPU )
> >
> > socket 370, obviously
> > but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

> oops -
> I meant to emphasise the use of *dual* CPU's
>
> I assume this is only possible with a limited range of CPU's
>
> I know Intel now deliberately breaks multiprocessing ability
> in all but its Xeon range - but when did they start doing that ???
>
> what were the fastest Celerons that could do dual ??
>
> and/or would twin P3 work in a BP6 ???
>
> and if so, what would be the best pair ???
> ( avoiding any comments about who has the best pair... )
>
> thanks in advance

Only going to be able to a 100mhz/66mhz bus, check out www.bp6.com

Shel-hed

On Sun, 30 May 2004 04:37:33 +0100, "no-name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
>among the donated motherboards,
>there was a single Abit BP6
>( BX chipset - dual CPU )
>
>socket 370, obviously
>but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

Yes.

>for example -
>don't some Socket 370 chips have a different voltage,
>or am I getting confused ???

Yes, and yes.

>meanwhile - apparently the FSB speeds of 124MHz and 133MHz
>have an extra divider for setting the PCI bus at 1/4 FSB
>but no additional divider for the AGP bus...
>so, my first thought is that a 133MHz FSB CPU - or 2 -
>would get along better with a PCI graphics card than an AGP

Go to bp6.com and read up. Given the situation, it won't hurt to try... or will it?

>any comments ???

I suggest that you test it, then sell it. Outfitting a dual setup with software that
is actually capable of using both cpu's would cost more than a new standard system.