Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

Russ McKenna

Is dotnet worth it?

I currently program in VB6 and some C++. I understand that If I want to go
VB.Net, I will need to rewrite large portions of the code.

Is it worth learning vb.net? I know this is an extremely personal questions
with many answers and opinions. I would like both sides of the story,
objectively if possible. Thanks.

Eric Cadwell

To be honest I don't know if I would port an existing project over unless
you are doing a significant amount of new coding or a large rewrite of
current code.

> Is it worth learning vb.net?

If you plan on being employed 5 years from now you'd better learn it. It's a
huge step forward. Pick a small personal project and learn that way. Porting
a production application as your first project would be a mistake.

HTH;
Eric Cadwell
http://www.origincontrols.com

Russ McKenna

Do you think VBA will move toward .Net in the future?

"Eric Cadwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%237$(E-Mail Removed)...
> To be honest I don't know if I would port an existing project over unless
> you are doing a significant amount of new coding or a large rewrite of
> current code.
>
> > Is it worth learning vb.net?

> If you plan on being employed 5 years from now you'd better learn it. It's

> huge step forward. Pick a small personal project and learn that way.

Porting
> a production application as your first project would be a mistake.
>

> HTH;
> Eric Cadwell
> http://www.origincontrols.com

Eric Cadwell

Have you looked into VSA? I thought it was the replacement for VBA.

I'm not sure it's even survived as I haven't heard anything about it in a
while.

-Eric

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

You do not have to rewrite existing applications.
Your existing apps continue to work. And with the proper architecture, your
existing VB6 code can use new code, or can be used by new code.

It is possible to connect VB6/C++ code to .NET in multiple ways. One of the
most common is via COM-based interop. VB.NET code can invoke COM
components. VB.NET code can expose itself as a COM component.

Of course if you want to run an app "fully managed", then yes, you will have
to migrate code. There's a wizard that helps, but it is not 100%.

"Russ McKenna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is dotnet worth it?
>
> I currently program in VB6 and some C++. I understand that If I want to go
> VB.Net, I will need to rewrite large portions of the code.
>
> Is it worth learning vb.net? I know this is an extremely personal

questions
> with many answers and opinions. I would like both sides of the story,
> objectively if possible. Thanks.

Angus Lepper

I'd say that .NET is worth it if you don't intend to be on the dole or in
another sector in the next few years. I'd leave your VB6 apps until you want
new functionality, then rewrite them. No program is perfect, you could do a
new, more efficient version.

Angus
news:exD#(E-Mail Removed)...