Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Abit BH6 motherboards ( donated to a charity ) - what is CPU limit if using a Socket 370 convertor ???

Abit BH6 motherboards ( donated to a charity ) - what is CPU limit if using a Socket 370 convertor ???

no-name

thanks in advance for help and suggestions

a local small charity has had some parts donated
included in these are several Abit BH6 motherboards

so, I've managed to work out that the BH6 can take
AGP 2x graphics
133MHz SD-RAM

and the CPU is obviously Slot 1

but, if using - is the word "slocket" ? -
one of those convertor boards that allow a socket 370
to plug into a Slot 1 motherboard -

what would be the best CPU that could be fitted ??

a quick look on ebay turned up a significant number of
Socket 370 Pentium 3 at 800MHz - would they be compatible ???

Shel-hed

On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:54:41 +0100, "no-name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>thanks in advance for help and suggestions
>
>a local small charity has had some parts donated
>included in these are several Abit BH6 motherboards
>
>so, I've managed to work out that the BH6 can take
>AGP 2x graphics
>133MHz SD-RAM
>
>and the CPU is obviously Slot 1
>
>but, if using - is the word "slocket" ? -
>one of those convertor boards that allow a socket 370
>to plug into a Slot 1 motherboard -
>
>what would be the best CPU that could be fitted ??
>
>a quick look on ebay turned up a significant number of
>Socket 370 Pentium 3 at 800MHz - would they be compatible ???

If they are 800/100, yes, but you have to use a good converter that is OK for
Coppermine CPUs. Asus' s370dl is one. 800/133 cpus will be underclocked.
The board can use pc133, but bx chipsets are only rated at 100mhz.
If newer ram is used, it may have to be "double sided", otherwise only half capacity
will be detected. Micron chips work best.

Shalom Septimus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>thanks in advance for help and suggestions
>
>a local small charity has had some parts donated
>included in these are several Abit BH6 motherboards

(snip)

Try posting this to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, or even googling
that group a little (assuming google carries that group, I'm not
sure). This question pops up every so often there; someone will
probably send you a link to a supplier of Slot 1-->Socket 370
adaptors.

(I'm using a BH6 with a PIII/850, no adapter, and it wasn't easy
finding that in Slot 1 configuration. I tried to order it, the
supplier said "It doesn't exist", I said "Here's Intel's part number,
order me one", and he said "Oh look, I guess it exists after all"...
You can get Slot 1 PIII's right up to 1.1 GHz, but expect to pay
through ye nose for them. Cheaper to buy a Celeron 1.4 GHz and an
adapter, the combination of which will set you back US$84.50 brand
new.)

--
Shalom