Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > putting my PC back together - HELP!

putting my PC back together - HELP!

NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

Hi....

Thanks Paul!

I am pretty sure that all is running as it should, but I think there is a
new issue, or could be the issue that was causing the problem in the first
place.

The system boots up, but I'm getting an error message on a blue screen that
says something about not being able to boot, if it's my first time seeing
the message, to reboot. If I receive the message again, to follow these
steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disc space (I do)... If a driver is
identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the
manufacturer for driver updates (no driver message, clean XP home install).
Try changing the video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory
options such as caching or shadowing (neither set). If you need to use
safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8
to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000006, 0x806819f3, 0xf9678704, 0xf9678404)

That is the entire message that is coming up.

I can boot into safe mode, no problem, and yes, my CDrom drive is now
appearing as a drive.

Does anyone have any ideas why windows won't boot normally for me now?

I tried to boot from the xp cd, and did a repair, but still get the same
message.

Thanks!

Linda

"Paul McCredie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40b8c5d6$0$272$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> OK Linda it's easy to get confused.
>
> The first thing is that the HDD jumpers should be set to 'master' or
> 'primary'. The fact that your computer is booting up suggest that this is
> probably already the case.
>
> Now if the CD drive is on the same IDE bus as the HDD then the jumpers for
> it should be set to 'slave' or 'secondary'
>
> If the CD drive is on the second IDE bus and there is nothing else on

that
> bus then set the jumper(s) to 'secondary' or 'slave'
>
> If it is not clear what the jumper settings represent on the drives, then

> visit to the manufactures web site usually can sort that one out.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Paul
>
> "Steven Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5TOtc.120$p%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have AIM or MSN I can help you..
>
> Hit me up on Aim at: KillerOfDevil
> MSN: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> or Yahoo: DeathByFight
> "Patty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dbNtc.55976$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Keep your fingers out of the PC
> > "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <Nobody@****Spam.net> wrote in message
> > news2Ftc.8634$eY2.8609@attbi_s02...
> > > Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long

time
> > now,
> > > and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.
> > >
> > > I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom

drive
> > > from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a

> computer,
> > > so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want

the
> > > better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a

> > different
> > > CDrom back in).
> > >
> > > I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a

CDrom
> > > installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with

> the
> > > jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.
> > >
> > > I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the

> > cabling,
> > > each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.
> > >
> > > How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE

> > cable
> > > or two seperate ones?
> > >
> > > I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says

there
> > are
> > > no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them.

It
> > > doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?
> > >
> > > Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in

there,
> > so
> > > it's not a bad drive.
> > >
> > > Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come

> here
> > > trying to get an answer.
> > >
> > > Linda

°Mike°

"STOP 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade
to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330182

You receive a "serious error" or a "STOP: 0x0000007E"
error message in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321637

On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:23:59 GMT, in
<Bb7uc.21798$n_6.20237@attbi_s53>
NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz scrawled:

>Hi....
>
>Thanks Paul!
>
>I am pretty sure that all is running as it should, but I think there is a
>new issue, or could be the issue that was causing the problem in the first
>place.
>
>The system boots up, but I'm getting an error message on a blue screen that
>says something about not being able to boot, if it's my first time seeing
>the message, to reboot. If I receive the message again, to follow these
>steps:
>
>Check to be sure you have adequate disc space (I do)... If a driver is
>identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the
>manufacturer for driver updates (no driver message, clean XP home install).
>Try changing the video adapters.
>
>Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory
>options such as caching or shadowing (neither set). If you need to use
>safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8
>to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
>
>Technical information:
>Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000006, 0x806819f3, 0xf9678704, 0xf9678404)
>
>That is the entire message that is coming up.
>
>I can boot into safe mode, no problem, and yes, my CDrom drive is now
>appearing as a drive.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas why windows won't boot normally for me now?
>
>I tried to boot from the xp cd, and did a repair, but still get the same
>message.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Linda

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

Ooooooh, thanks!

Heading there now to read!

Linda

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "STOP 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade
> to Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330182
>
> You receive a "serious error" or a "STOP: 0x0000007E"
> error message in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321637
>

> On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:23:59 GMT, in
> <Bb7uc.21798$n_6.20237@attbi_s53>
> NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz scrawled:
>
> >Hi....
> >
> >Thanks Paul!
> >
> >I am pretty sure that all is running as it should, but I think there is a
> >new issue, or could be the issue that was causing the problem in the

first
> >place.
> >
> >The system boots up, but I'm getting an error message on a blue screen

that
> >says something about not being able to boot, if it's my first time seeing
> >the message, to reboot. If I receive the message again, to follow these
> >steps:
> >
> >Check to be sure you have adequate disc space (I do)... If a driver is
> >identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the
> >manufacturer for driver updates (no driver message, clean XP home

install).
> >Try changing the video adapters.
> >
> >Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS

memory
> >options such as caching or shadowing (neither set). If you need to use
> >safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press

f8
> >to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
> >
> >Technical information:
> >Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000006, 0x806819f3, 0xf9678704, 0xf9678404)
> >
> >That is the entire message that is coming up.
> >
> >I can boot into safe mode, no problem, and yes, my CDrom drive is now
> >appearing as a drive.
> >
> >Does anyone have any ideas why windows won't boot normally for me now?
> >
> >I tried to boot from the xp cd, and did a repair, but still get the same
> >message.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Linda

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You're welcome, and good luck.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:06:16 GMT, in
<IH8uc.20179$Ly.13928@attbi_s01>
NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz scrawled:

>Ooooooh, thanks!
>
>Heading there now to read!
>
>Linda

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "STOP 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade
>> to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330182
>>
>> You receive a "serious error" or a "STOP: 0x0000007E"
>> error message in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321637

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:18:07 +0100, "Paul McCredie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK Linda it's easy to get confused.
>
>The first thing is that the HDD jumpers should be set to 'master' or
>'primary'. The fact that your computer is booting up suggest that this is
>probably already the case.
>
>Now if the CD drive is on the same IDE bus as the HDD then the jumpers for
>it should be set to 'slave' or 'secondary'
>
>If the CD drive is on the second IDE bus and there is nothing else on that
>bus then set the jumper(s) to 'secondary' or 'slave'
>
>If it is not clear what the jumper settings represent on the drives, then a
>visit to the manufactures web site usually can sort that one out.
>
>I hope this helps,

Helps confuse.
What is the difference between 'slave' or 'secondary' and 'secondary' or 'slave'?

>Paul
>
>"Steven Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:5TOtc.120$p%(E-Mail Removed)...
>If you have AIM or MSN I can help you..
>
>Hit me up on Aim at: KillerOfDevil
>MSN: (E-Mail Removed)
>or Yahoo: DeathByFight
>"Patty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dbNtc.55976$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> Keep your fingers out of the PC
>> "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <Nobody@****Spam.net> wrote in message
>> news2Ftc.8634$eY2.8609@attbi_s02...
>> > Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long time

>> now,
>> > and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.
>> >
>> > I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom drive
>> > from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a

>computer,
>> > so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want the
>> > better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a

>> different
>> > CDrom back in).
>> >
>> > I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a CDrom
>> > installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with

>the
>> > jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.
>> >
>> > I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the

>> cabling,
>> > each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.
>> >
>> > How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE

>> cable
>> > or two seperate ones?
>> >
>> > I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says there

>> are
>> > no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them. It
>> > doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?
>> >
>> > Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in there,

>> so
>> > it's not a bad drive.
>> >
>> > Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come

>here
>> > trying to get an answer.
>> >
>> > Linda

-Barry
========

putting together 2 XSD Xh XML 1 03-21-2007 08:36 AM
Splitting an array into quads and putting them back together again. CBlair1986 Ruby 4 11-18-2006 09:11 AM
How To Reduce Number Files by Putting file1.c and file2.C Together Christopher M. Lusardi C Programming 1 11-16-2004 12:38 PM
How To Reduce Number Files by Putting file1.c and file2.C Together Christopher M. Lusardi C++ 1 11-16-2004 12:38 PM
Difference between putting code in constructor and putting code in static{} Saurabh Java 6 05-30-2004 02:44 PM

Advertisments